How do you shine shoes?

Randomguy

I just go down to the lobby and sit in Mr. Charles chair and let him do his magic.

He says you have to clean the shoes first and that it is important to brush off all the extra polish.

He puts on some sort of soapy stuff, rubs them down, then dries them off.  Then he goes through like two types of polish and buffing rags and then a final layer of hand applied polish and a good buffing with a brush.  Then he dies the edges of the soles and gives them a final wipe down.  All this for $6.00!  I usually just hand him a $10.  

• Heart 3

When I was young and single, we frequented an establishment called The Million Dollar Saloon in Dallas.  If featured female entertainers and an all female staff.  They had a shoe shine girl who did a great job.  She would light the polish on fire and then drip that on your shoes and then buff it in.   The view from the chair was not bad at all as I recall.  Her name was Michelle and she dated a guy named Billy that played guitar in a friends band.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I just go down to the lobby and sit in Mr. Charles chair and let him do his magic.

He says you have to clean the shoes first and that it is important to brush off all the extra polish.

He puts on some sort of soapy stuff, rubs them down, then dries them off.  Then he goes through like two types of polish and buffing rags and then a final layer of hand applied polish and a good buffing with a brush.  Then he dies the edges of the soles and gives them a final wipe down.  All this for $6.00!  I usually just hand him a $10.  

He sounds better than what I have found here. Very fast and basic like a common trollop.  I need a proper professional shoe temptress who really knows what she is doing. 

11 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

I will watch this at home. 

I need to find that balance between doing it properly without being taken advantage of by asshead snobs that feel you need $200 elephant nostril hair brushes and whale-vomit oils or you are a horrible person. 

• Heart 1

Just wipe the top of the left shoe on the back of your right pant leg, & reverse for the right.  We called that an infantry shine!

I actually don’t bother with shining shoes with wax.  I hit em with a little Pledge every couple of weeks.  Looks good and bonus, lemon scented!

• Heart 3

I used to due all the brushing and buffing and if I get a nice pair of brown wingtips I may do so again, considering it won't have to be done often since I seldom wear dress shoes.  That ended in my 40's in the 1990's.

Now I buy the shoe polish with the built-in sponge applicator, apply it, sit it on newspaper until it's dry and I'm good!

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

Here is pro tip #847.

RG on your next date, keep a trophy when you leave (ie panthose) and after you follow the advice above about polish and buff, use the pantyhose and use them as a last buff and they will come out gleaming

21 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I will watch this at home. 

I need to find that balance between doing it properly without being taken advantage of by asshead snobs that feel you need $200 elephant nostril hair brushes and whale-vomit oils or you are a horrible person. 

So neutralize the salt stains with vinegar.  Buy some Bickmore Bick 4 conditioner to rehydrate the leather.  Use a cream polish on the whole shoe, then buff the tips a little using shoe paste wax.  Don't mirror shine brogued shoes. faux pas. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, wilbur said:

So neutralize the salt stains with vinegar.  Buy some Bickman Bick 4 conditioner to rehydrate the leather.  Use a cream polish on the whole shoe, then buff the tips a little using shoe paste wax.  Don't mirror shine brogued shoes. faux pas. 

You don't have to call him filthy names in French!  Faux pas you too, jerk face!  

• Heart 1