Illinois weed

Prophet Zacharia

Now legal for adult consumption.

"Legalizing adult-use cannabis brings an important and overdue change to our state, and it’s the right thing to do. This legislation will clear the cannabis-related records of nonviolent offenders through an efficient combination of automatic expungement, gubernatorial pardon and individual court action," he [Gov. Pritzker] said.

• Heart 1

Just now, JerrySTL said:

The biggest reason for the change is bringing in tax revenue. 

It's been a big generator. Honestly I don't care for pot but I would consider alcohol a far more dangerous drug. So it makes sense to me. Give the populace a much gentler drug and make big money off it. If you're a purist and don't like it -- I understand your point of view. I just think you should demand booze be off the market too. And I think most of us know what happened when that was tried.

2 minutes ago, 12string said:

I just think is odd reasoning.  It's illegal, illegal takes resources, make it legal and the problem is fixed!

We should just do that for all laws, think of the money we would save!  

Laws are made by the public. They can be changed at any time. If not, then enforce it.  If you can't or don't have the will to enforce it then it's a stupid law.

18 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Laws are made by the public. They can be changed at any time. If not, then enforce it.  If you can't or don't have the will to enforce it then it's a stupid law.

I get that, I just think trying to use "it's annoying to enforce" as a justification to change a law is odd.

If you decide something shouldn't be illegal, just change the law because you think it shouldn't be illegal.  If it's happening with such frequency that it's become annoying to enforce, perhaps there's a different solution.

Or just admit it's about revenue even if it does kill brain cells.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

I just admit it's about revenue even if it does kill brain cells.

I agree. It's 100% about revenue. 100000000% even (please note these two figures are the same but the latter one looks much bigger and more impressive). 

As for brain cells, don't fool yourself if you think alcohol doesn't.

11 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yeah, I guess this issue isn't so important to me. I am not promoting it but I honestly can't remember anybody beating their wife while stoned. I'm sure it's happened. But the weed store two blocks from my house has given us or the neighbors any problems that I know of. 

It happens, but the difference is it's usually over getting it, not while on it.  Also can effectively still turn people into non-productive members of society.  Causes impairment while operating equipment.  And it can effect everyone differently, there is a guy on another forum I know that almost lost his kid over it as it effected them severely leading to some pretty serious psychological trouble.

So it's not necessarily better than drinking or smoking cigarettes like some want it to play out to be.  It can be fairly benign, but like a lot of things, it can effect people differently and it isn't always the case.

For me the biggest irony in the entire thing is many want to basically making cigarette smoking illegal, but at the same time make smoking marijuana legal, just seems quite hypocritical to me.  And yes I get, the medical part of marijuana, but doesn't mean you have to smoke it, there are other ways to get the active ingredients without smoking.

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

It's been a big generator.

Revenue has been a disappointment in California where it's still cheaper and easier to buy illegally in most areas of the State. Taxes make it more expensive plus costly licensing requirements. Also local areas can say No to legal weed in California.

2 minutes ago, Dottie said:

yeah our cities can decline it. 

Anyway I am not advocating it but just observing. You should note that alcohol has been a problem in my life in the past so I don't have a lot of positives to say about it either.

My Sister's ex was a drunk, man did he make a mess of things.

I gather my Grandfather liked alcohol a little bit to much also at one point in his life so my mother was always against alcohol in the house.  Of course I went off to college and was 21, so I bought beer in had in the fridge at home during the summer, my dad thanked me.  My mother has since realized all of us (now that my sister's ex is out of the picture anyways) can drink responsibly and it's not an issue, so she's relaxed and will have a drink with us.

Also, my best friend passed away last fall from liver failure, with her, everyone knew she liked to drink, but she was really good at hiding it and no one really realized how bad it was until it was to late.  Then everyone sat around piecing it all back together and feeling bad because none of us saw it until it was to late.

So I get it, but I think any type of drug can run the risk for abuse and issues.

I'm not against legalizing pot, it doesn't really effect me, I just find the entire irony of people being against one thing (smoking, alcohol, pick your poison) and all for pot to be hilarious.

1 minute ago, Indy said:

My Sister's ex was a drunk, man did he make a mess of things.

I gather my Grandfather liked alcohol a little bit to much also at one point in his life so my mother was always against alcohol in the house.  Of course I went off to college and was 21, so I bought beer in had in the fridge at home during the summer, my dad thanked me.  My mother has since realized all of us (now that my sister's ex is out of the picture anyways) can drink responsibly and it's not an issue, so she's relaxed and will have a drink with us.

Also, my best friend passed away last fall from liver failure, with her, everyone knew she liked to drink, but she was really good at hiding it and no one really realized how bad it was until it was to late.  Then everyone sat around piecing it all back together and feeling bad because none of us saw it until it was to late.

So I get it, but I think any type of drug can run the risk for abuse and issues.

I'm not against legalizing pot, it doesn't really effect me, I just find the entire irony of people being against one thing (smoking, alcohol, pick your poison) and all for pot to be hilarious.

Yes I am an abstinent guy and have zero agenda whether anybody else is or not. Because folks gonna do what folks gonna do.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Revenue has been a disappointment in California where it's still cheaper and easier to buy illegally in most areas of the State. Taxes make it more expensive plus costly licensing requirements. Also local areas can say No to legal weed in California.

True, but $350 M in tax revenues isn’t anything to sneeze at. 

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My sources say “yes”. Or maybe it’s “yeah, bruh”?

Yes in Michigan.  From a state standpoint it's legalized at the local government level.  Most in my area have not approved it yet.  It's legal to consume in a private residence - not in public and not in your backyard - inside a residence and only with the approval of the occupant.  I believe there is still some issue with a landlord not agreeing....

1 hour ago, Indy said:

I just find the entire irony of people being against one thing (smoking, alcohol, pick your poison) and all for pot to be hilarious.

Yup.  We've been down this road before.  Once you let the cat out of the bag, it doesn't want top go back in.  Prohibition was just all kinds of successful.

Alcohol can be used in moderation with very little impairment or physical damage.  In fact, there are benefits to moderate alcohol use.  Pot, OTOH, you are stoned, you are killing brain cells, even with moderate use.  There are still a lot of questions about the damage pot does, the smoke, etc.  We once thought cigarettes were healthy.  Vaping is being exposed.

I 100% support medical marijuana.  There's lots of drugs I think make great medicines but terrible recreational activities.  I would have preferred a lot more studies to be done before going all in on legalization.  The interim step of decriminalization would have been great.  Except for the lack of revenue.

I despise sin taxes.   They just are hypocritical.  Stop pretending they are supposed to discourage anyone from anything

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

The recent book I read was very interesting.  It said alcohol is like a sledge hammer, affecting the whole brian, whereas most other drugs are more selective.  Legalized pot is moot for those of us who work for big corporations, and I agree that it will be hard to deal with trying to interpret just how impaired someone is.  For instance, 98% of driving is half mental, so there is that,

34 minutes ago, 12string said:

Pot, OTOH, you are stoned, you are killing brain cells, even with moderate use.

Nope.

That is what people with a brain call propaganda.

" Long-term and even daily marijuana use doesn't appear to cause permanent brain damage, adding to evidence that it can be a safe and effective treatment for a wide range of diseases, say researchers. "

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20030701/heavy-marijuana-use-doesnt-damage-brain#1

There is a 2013 study from NZ that found a little cognitive decline in heavy users. The problem is that this is not a one study question. It will take, at a min, several expensive, top flight studies to nail things down. When I had cancer, I marinated my brain daily in huge quantities of pot. I was surprised how quickly I snapped back when I stopped.

To provide some contrast, here is a longtitudinal twin study that didn't find a damn thing:

https://www.pnas.org/content/113/5/E500

" The key takeaway? More research needs to be done to understand how marijuana use affects intelligence over time."

https://www.healthline.com/health/does-weed-kill-brain-cells#effects-on-iq

Pot is ubiquitous for anyone who wants it and is unconcerned about the potential legal risks of buying it. It was always more available than alcohol when I was a teenager. Those prone to psychosis that have bad experiences with pot already use it, current laws don’t really do much to prevent that. The only folks who are affected by the prohibition are law abiding middle-age or older who can’t afford a drug charge (or an employer drug screen). 

My county has made possession a citation offense only, but that’s still not good enough in my eyes. Legalize it, tax it and be done with it. Teenagers currently have greater access anyway, it’s not going to lead to a decline of civilization.

12 minutes ago, late said:

When I had cancer, I marinated my brain daily in huge quantities of pot. I was surprised how quickly I snapped back when I stopped.

I believe the FDA’s decision to make it a schedule 1 drug with no medical benefit was both driven hugely by the tobacco industry and Nixon’s assault on the hippy/anti-war movement. But there are no good medical studies from the US as a result. I’d suggest that encoding of memories while high on THC is impaired, but that’s pure speculation based on personal observation. #legalizeit