I again ask where is that Dull Edge worm --- a.k.a. RE

Dottleshead

I am sick and tired of reality slapping me in the face. I might just need to remind you I get coffee between a gun pawn shop and the post office. Sometimes when drinking that cup of joe, I get video games fantasies. The kind were I scoot up ladders and wrestle the gal from the ape -- if you know what I mean.

Just now, Dottie said:

I am sick and tired of reality slapping me in the face. I might just need to remind you I get coffee between a gun pawn shop and the post office. Sometimes when drinking that cup of joe, I get video games thoughts. The kind were I scoot up ladders and wrestle the gal from the ape -- if you know what I mean.

And then the reality barrel of life rolls you back down to the gutter.

20 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Did @Razors Edge go to France for the Tour this year? I forget if it was to be this year, or next? 

The dull one went camping at the beach.

No "Tour" tour this year or next. My hope for next year is French/Italian/Spanish riding of some Tour/Giro/Vuelta greats.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

No "Tour" tour this year or next. My hope for next year is French/Italian/Spanish riding of some Tour/Giro/Vuelta greats.

By tour, I suspect you meaning touring the French country side.  Or are you an actual rider or something?  Emphasis on the something.

12 minutes ago, Dottie said:

By tour, I suspect you meaning touring the French country side.  Or are you an actual rider or something?  Emphasis on the something. 

By "tour" (from "Tour" tour), I meant we wouldn't be following the TdF stages across the French countryside.  That would be fun, and I have ridden a TdF stage, but I'd prefer my own pace and time frame, since I am not as big a fan of travel during high season as I am of shoulder or even off season.  While July would be exciting for the TdF, it was HOT when I was riding there in July before, so I'd prefer early Sept., and that might even coincide with the Vuelta (although the Olympics might mean some racing dates are getting shifted).

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

By "tour" (from "Tour" tour), I meant we wouldn't be following the TdF stages across the French countryside.  That would be fun, and I have ridden a TdF stage, but I'd prefer my own pace and time frame, since I am not as big a fan of travel during high season as I am of shoulder or even off season.  While July would be exciting for the TdF, it was HOT when I was riding there in July before, so I'd prefer early Sept., and that might even coincide with the Vuelta (although the Olympics might mean some racing dates are getting shifted).

• No doubt you were on an e-bike

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

If you could put a gas motor on one of those, i might be able to ride with the tdF crowd

An electric one with no limiter would work for a little while. I'm not sure what maximum boost battery life is, but I doubt it would get me 100+ miles.  Maybe two spares on the team car?

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Camping or Glamping?  I know the difference.  I have seen people camp while I glamp.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Camping or Glamping?  I know the difference.  I have seen people camp while I glamp. 

One step up from "camping" since we use a blow-up bed in the tent! We're not primitives, after all.

But boy has camping evolved just in the past 10 years.  Back in "the day", we used to use our "massive" 12' x 12' tent and we would dwarf the other tents in the campground. RVs were relatively rare and were "simple". Now, we roll with a smaller four person tent, and every one else is in ginormous tents and/or have an RV and likely a mosquito canopy tent over their picnic table.  Extension cords, hoses, sites looking like living rooms, etc..  It is NUTSO.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

One step up from "camping" since we use a blow-up bed in the tent! We're not primitives, after all.

But boy has camping evolved just in the past 10 years.  Back in "the day", we used to use our "massive" 12' x 12' tent and we would dwarf the other tents in the campground. RVs were relatively rare and were "simple". Now, we roll with a smaller four person tent, and every one else is in ginormous tents and/or have an RV and likely a mosquito canopy tent over their picnic table.  Extension cords, hoses, sites looking like living rooms, etc..  It is NUTSO.

My backpacking tent is actually a three man (two regular sized men) and is too big for me when I camp.  I need to look into a big 1 man tent that is easier on the back to back, but still has a bit of headroom and a vestibule to keep stuff out of the weather.

I keep downsizing my gear instead of going the other way.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

My backpacking tent is actually a three man (two regular sized men) and is too big for me when I camp.  I need to look into a big 1 man tent that is easier on the back to back, but still has a bit of headroom and a vestibule to keep stuff out of the weather.

I keep downsizing my gear instead of going the other way.

No backpacking tent in my arsenal. Just the lowly Coleman $50 special which is heavier than I would want to carry on my back, but is okay in a pannier. I find a two or three person cheap tent too low in ceiling height, so the "upgrade" to a four person is worth it.  We car camp, but even now, were like you where it is cutting down on stuff rather than adding to our stuff.  I find the more we camp, the less stuff we need since we really fine tune it from seeing what stuff gets used and what sits in the trunk.  We also bring our stuff on flights to camp, so we have a big duffel bag for the tent and all camping stuff, and if it doesn't fit in that and weigh less than 50lbs, it doesn't come with us.  I often can still get a sleeping bag into the duffel easily, so it is progressively getting leaner each trip.

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

No backpacking tent in my arsenal. Just the lowly Coleman $50 special which is heavier than I would want to carry on my back, but is okay in a pannier. I find a two or three person cheap tent too low in ceiling height, so the "upgrade" to a four person is worth it.  We car camp, but even now, were like you where it is cutting down on stuff rather than adding to our stuff.  I find the more we camp, the less stuff we need since we really fine tune it from seeing what stuff gets used and what sits in the trunk.  We also bring our stuff on flights to camp, so we have a big duffel bag for the tent and all camping stuff, and if it doesn't fit in that and weigh less than 50lbs, it doesn't come with us.  I often can still get a sleeping bag into the duffel easily, so it is progressively getting leaner each trip.

Where did you go? Ocracoke? Lewes Delaware? Somewhere in between?

I was in Bethany last week. Saw the Indian River inlet camp that we tried to camp at one year as a kid. It had been way too windy, so we moved to Cape Henelopen state park and that became a mainstay of our summer vacations until my sister got to old to want to camp.