E-bikes encounter rocky road to approval despite popularity

dinneR

https://www.apnews.com/531d9ebb52df4062af8292d0f7845159

BAR HARBOR, Maine (AP) — Gordon Goodwin and his wife are rediscovering their passion for bicycling in their senior years thanks to new electric-assist bikes. The electric motors provide a gentle kick, making it easier for them to pedal up hilly roads around Maine’s Acadia National Park.

“We’re getting older,” said Gordon, who turns 69 Wednesday. But, he added, “It’s nice to go somewhere and have the breeze in your hair, like you did when you were young.”

They can’t get that experience on Acadia’s bicycle paths, though.

The National Park Service classifies their so-called e-bikes as motorized vehicles, relegating them mostly to paved roads clogged with summer traffic. Nationwide, the agency and others that manage public lands keep thousands of miles of trail off-limits to e-bikes.

17 hours ago, dennis said:

They can’t get that experience on Acadia’s bicycle paths, though.

The National Park Service classifies their so-called e-bikes as motorized vehicles, relegating them mostly to paved roads clogged with summer traffic. Nationwide, the agency and others that manage public lands keep thousands of miles of trail off-limits to e-bikes. 

Sure they can. I'd lay odds on this one that there are absolutely ZERO rangers out enforcing the "no e-bikes" rule when they are ridden responsibly. I'm guessing two 60+ yr old folks can play the game by now.

But that won't last long as the bike manufacturers keep pushing the hype and action side of things rather than figuring a better way to integrate enormous power (250+ additional watts is mind blowing) with human nature.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Sure they can. I'd lay odds on this one that there are absolutely ZERO rangers out enforcing the "no e-bikes" rule when they are ridden responsibly. I'm guessing two 60+ yr old folks can play the game by now.

But that won't last long as the bike manufacturers keep pushing the hype and action side of things rather than figuring a better way to integrate enormous power (250+ additional watts is mind blowing) with human nature.

It is not enforced here. They really need to make it legal though so the bike shop in the park can rent them. It would do a lot to reduce car traffic and it is a great to see the park.