Not a whole hole

Airehead

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

Ah, I see.   You have a very beautiful lot.  

It is functional and pretty. Very low traffic road, plenty of wild life, soon to be flat dog yard, and a place for @Parr8hed to park his trailer.  I think I will stay awhile. 

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, wilbur said:

What is the hole for?  

7 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Purpose 1- to acquire many truck loads of dirt necessary to create a flat area in the backyard near the house. 

Purpose 2-to create a pond for water retrieve training for the Airedales, to foster fish for DEC, and have a place for the wildlife to drink. 

Unintended Consequence 1 - excellent mosquito habitat.

Possible Remediation for UC 1 - also excellent frog habitat.

The pond we lived next to in East TN also seemed to be a firefly magnet...I'm not certain why.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...I'm assuming septic system. Be careful what you let the landscape designer do over the leach field.

Yes septic and some external drain that keeps ground water away from the basement. She met with the builder so only grass in that area. 

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Airehead said:

Oh yeah and I just heard we are getting new driveway gravel. Base will be done and next year it can be paved. 

I did not think this was on the hot list by I was out voted by the one other voter. 

You want the base stabilized gravel to settle for at least one freeze thaw cycle.  There are other more expensive ways to do it but that includes more expensive base and heavier equipment.  Next spring when the ground thaws you will understand when you are stuck up above the axels at the end of the driveway.  After that dries, all is good.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Airehead said:

It is functional and pretty. Very low traffic road, plenty of wild life, soon to be flat dog yard, and a place for @Parr8hed to park his trailer.  I think I will stay awhile. 

That is so pretty.  I would love to have a piece of land like that and have a barn.  Of course mine would have hitting/pitching cages inside.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

And fountain, and gazebo and manicured gardens and rose trellis...

@jsharr suggests delicious bass in the pond.

no fountain unless we need to circulate water in the pond and I sure hope not.  We have Airedales there will never be a manicured lawn or roses.  All landscaping and ornamental stuff will be outside of the fences so it is safe from dogs--- that leaves it as deer bait all winter.  Landscaping this place will be a challenge which is why we hired the landscape architect.

PS-- Sweet Baron that some like @Shu Fang and @AirwickWithCheese may remember loved roses.  He really loves them.  Waited for blooms and then ate them and the rose hips too.  He knew to wait for the blooms.  After he passed, I put up a fence to keep future dogs out of the roses but I never could bring myself to do it while he was alive because eating them gave him so much joy.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Airehead said:

PS-- Sweet Baron that some like @Shu Fang and @AirwickWithCheese may remember loved roses.  He really loves them.  Waited for blooms and then ate them and the rose hips too.  He knew to wait for the blooms.  After he passed, I put up a fence to keep future dogs out of the roses but I never could bring myself to do it while he was alive because eating them gave him so much joy.

Rudy enjoys eating the puffy white dandelions.  He has also mastered the art of grabbing blossoms off of WoKzoo's flowers at full gallup - he can even do it with making a snicker with his mouth. 

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

no fountain unless we need to circulate water in the pond and I sure hope not.  We have Airedales there will never be a manicured lawn or roses.  All landscaping and ornamental stuff will be outside of the fences so it is safe from dogs--- that leaves it as deer bait all winter.  Landscaping this place will be a challenge which is why we hired the landscape architect.

There is a fountain that may be able to be bought!

https://wfpl.org/curious-louisville-whatever-happened-to-the-falls-fountain/

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

That is so pretty.  I would love to have a piece of land like that and have a barn.  Of course mine would have hitting/pitching cages inside.  

You have an RV hook up here

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

And to make a nice habitat for frogs, right?  :nodhead:

Yes, I am following the advice of @Page Turner

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

Looks like there's room for a go-kart / Supermoto / Sidecar track.

4E0E164800000578-0-image-a-11_1531126774070.jpg.90bef23a43274be53436fdcfb074db6c.jpg

@BR46 and my brother want a motorcycle track.  @Digital_photog wants a sled dog track  So many choices.

1 hour ago, smudge said:

I think it will be an agility course actually.

Inside the barn--- most equipment has already been delivered

7 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Rudy enjoys eating the puffy white dandelions.  He has also mastered the art of grabbing blossoms off of WoKzoo's flowers at full gallup - he can even do it with making a snicker with his mouth. 

I love Rudy.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

Now just have them dig 27 more and then @Dottie can come build you a platform.

My friend finished the cement on the last pillar Sunday.  He leaves town tomorrow night.  So -- I getsta fill 'em dem holes while he's off spending 15 days in Europe before we actually can spend the 2 hours+ to finish building the top.  It's close senor.  I will make a special thread to show you our $1200 beast. 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Airehead said:

...that leaves it as deer bait all winter.  Landscaping this place will be a challenge which is why we hired the landscape architect.

...I have lived with deer, up in the foothills here.  When there are enough of them, and they are hungry in the winter when all the tiny, delicious green shoots they prefer are gone, they will eat just about anything....even the stuff they're not supposed to like or eat.  Daffodils did OK outside the fences, but even those got tip browsed occasionally in the Spring. And daffodils taste terrible becuase of the high oxalic acid content.  The only reason I could grow apples was that my trees had been well established by the previous owner, when the deer populations had been smaller, people still killed and ate more of them, and there was a better predator population up there.

Deer are basically locusts with hooves.:angry:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Kzoo said:

You want the base stabilized gravel to settle for at least one freeze thaw cycle.  There are other more expensive ways to do it but that includes more expensive base and heavier equipment.  Next spring when the ground thaws you will understand when you are stuck up above the axels at the end of the driveway.  After that dries, all is good.

Yep-- we did this at the other house too.  In the case of current home a base was put down last fall and we had a hard winter.  According to Mr. Aire, the base wasnt done well and he believes we should reset the base and do another winter before paving.  Well more than believes.  It was done today.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Digital_photog said:

Can we bring the retrievers in and train for AKC hunt tests?  Several Master Hunters have been trained on my pond.

Yes, we will also be training Airedales for akc hunt tests. They need to retrieve in water and on land plus tree a coon. All purpose gun dog. https://images.app.goo.gl/Q8ySrw4DecGjyniu7

26 minutes ago, smudge said:

Need a point? Pump?

I am not totally sure what DEC will want and the goal remains to foster fish.  I believe a clay liner is part of the solution. There is a natural water source just isn’t holding and given the amount of small gravel they unearthed it makes sense. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I am not totally sure what DEC will want and the goal remains to foster fish.  I believe a clay liner is part of the solution. There is a natural water source just isn’t holding and given the amount of small gravel they unearthed it makes sense. 

some people use a plastic liner around here.