Okay, so how bad did I screw it up this time

Indy

Another day in the pool, another freaking injury.  Was messing around with my son, I go to the bottom and hang out, when he swims over, I grab his foot and yank him to the bottom of the deep end.  You know, normal stuff.

Did it and yanked him down and something in my elbow popped.  Bicep curl wise I've got full strength and no issue, but extension is another story.  Really down on strength and some definite pain there.  Also now my elbow hurts if I bump it or rest it on anything.  Oh the joy.

So, forum experts, how bad did I screw up my body this time?

12 minutes ago, Indy said:

Another day in the pool, another freaking injury.  Was messing around with my son, I go to the bottom and hang out, when he swims over, I grab his foot and yank him to the bottom of the deep end.  You know, normal stuff.

Did it and yanked him down and something in my elbow popped.  Bicep curl wise I've got full strength and no issue, but extension is another story.  Really down on strength and some definite pain there.  Also now my elbow hurts if I bump it or rest it on anything.  Oh the joy.

Bad... real bad.

image.png.9e08fd58e55d1c7b94b3643636e507d5.png

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

You have "divers elbow". It is common among those who work underwater.  Basically it is the opposite of tearing something topside.   With a sudden use of a muscle/joint underwater, like pulling your son under, the strain on the muscle is affected by the .433 psi per foot underwater increase in ambient pressure.  With the increase in pressure and the muscle looking for fluid(ie blood) to assist in its job, the isobaric counterdiffusion of the partial pressure of Nitrogen allows N2 to be forced into the joint.  Sort of like a mini-bends.  You are screwed, by now it has likely caused permanent damage and should be amputated.

Oh,...  I forgot to mention this part.  I am completely full of shit.

Nominated!  You totally had me going!

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

go to urgent care before they get backed up with fire works incidents

Why the heck would I do that?  Everyone knows Doctors are just practicing still, so better off to go to a random forum and get information from people who know and don't need to practice so much.

If not better by next week, will head to my PCP and probably get a referral to some place.  Hopefully nothing to big a deal though.  Just amazed I actually managed to injure something I've never injured before, I was pretty sure by now I had pretty well done it all.

• Heart 2

In all seriousness - I get some elbow tendinitis once in a while, usually from overexertion.  Torquing really hard with a screwdriver seems to be something that sets it off, though I'm not sure I've ever actually felt anything "pop".  Wearing a snug elastic band just south of the joint has seemed to help.

2 hours ago, Indy said:

Welcome to middle age.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

Bruising?  Swelling?  Could be torn ligament, dislocated, torn muscle, burst bursa sac, etc.  Hard to tell from your description.  Ice it.  If it don't get better go get seen.  

No, no apparent swelling or bruising, just the whole area is sore, even to pressure and down on strength.

So in the mean time, guess I am swimming left handed now.  Told my wife, "So this is what it's like to swim slow."  Her response was FU. 

Of course that was after the other day when I was swimming across the pool and she grabbed my ankle, I kept going just dragging her across the pool.  Afterwards, she looked at me and said "So that's what it's like to swim fast, fun."

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Indy said:

No, no apparent swelling or bruising, just the whole area is sore, even to pressure and down on strength.

So in the mean time, guess I am swimming left handed now.  Told my wife, "So this is what it's like to swim slow."  Her response was FU. 

Of course that was after the other day when I was swimming across the pool and she grabbed my ankle, I kept going just dragging her across the pool.  Afterwards, she looked at me and said "So that's what it's like to swim fast, fun."

If there is no edema or bruising then I would say just watch it.  Use ice and followup if it doesn't get any better in a few weeks.  

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

He hurt is elbow, not his anus, why would he need an enema?

Any excuse for an enema is a good excuse.

Especially since everyone keeps telling me I am full of shit.  Maybe that is why I keep having so many injuries lately.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Does your elbow hurt like shit?  

Kind of when I first did it, now just annoying.  Of course it's long been established my pain threshold isn't exactly on the normal level.  To the point, sometimes I feel sorry for my kids as they don't get a lot of sympathy when they are hurt.

giphy.gif

5 hours ago, Zephyr said:

You have "divers elbow". It is common among those who work underwater.  Basically it is the opposite of tearing something topside.   With a sudden use of a muscle/joint underwater, like pulling your son under, the strain on the muscle is affected by the .433 psi per foot underwater increase in ambient pressure.  With the increase in pressure and the muscle looking for fluid(ie blood) to assist in its job, the isobaric counterdiffusion of the partial pressure of Nitrogen allows N2 to be forced into the joint.  Sort of like a mini-bends.  You are screwed, by now it has likely caused permanent damage and should be amputated.

Oh,...  I forgot to mention this part.  I am completely full of shit.

Sounds like one of my explanations!  You've got to do completely true ones often enough to keep them guessing.

• Heart 1