Razors Edge

...is what I call it, and figure this section can use a new topic :D

Anyway, it's the standard seen-it-a-million-times sort of thing that most cyclist have dealt with.  On one hand, there is the traditional "lost in thought" getting passed that awakens you again and you reassess your pace.  For me, that happens when I zone out for a little bit, and if I do get caught and passed, I quickly do the calculation to see if I am happy at my current speed/effort or if I could ramp it up and enjoy it more.  In any case, though, I don't ride up behind a guy and the punk pass him at a sprint. If the fellow is riding a good pace, I'll settle in a distance behind him to get the "carrot" effect but also no slipstream/draft.  That makes the ride still a workout of my choosing but uses another rider as a good incentive to keep the pace up.  If the fellow is riding at a good but not great pace, I'll mosey up behind them, wait for a stretch of clear road, pass & say howdy, and then continue the pass. This leaves an opportunity for them to sit on my wheel if they like, ride beside me, or just drop off.

The ones that bother me are the pass someone, have them draft (or stalk) me waiting for the chance to sprint past a while later.  Odd behavior and pretty asocial.  Anyway, with my rear camera in play, it is fun to actually see how things percolate once a pass is made.  This mash-up shows me rolling up on a guy, passing him, him disappearing into the distance behind me, and then, as I slow behind a different guy to cross a DANGEROUS intersection, passed guy uses our slowing and our break in the traffic to make his move :D  I just let him go, reel him in as the traffic on the trail clears, and then do my favorite azzclown move of sitting on his wheel for the last mile or two relaxing the whole way.  Good clean fun. 

Anyway, my editing sucks and the light was tough for the front cam, but you'll get the point.

• 6 months later...