Bike shorts

Road Runner

Have you bought any recently?  Brand/style suggestions?

I have bought Pearl Izumi for the past ten years and have been pleased.  I tried the Performance brand but didn't like them.  I am not sure about buying anything from Performance anymore.  When I searched for Pearl Izumi shorts, I couldn't find but one or two styles for road shorts.  They seem to have a number of bibs for sale but only a few shorts.  

What brand do you like?  Where do you purchase them?  Who is your on-line "go to" for accessories and clothing these days?

Thanks.   

I like Pearl Izumi's too.  For shorts for commuting I get them from Mountain Equipment Coop sort of Canada's REI  Back when Belkin sponsored a pro circuit team, a good friend was in the company mgmt at the time and sent me a aet of their kit.  The shorts were nice on them too but I dont know the brand

• Heart 1

...Garneau sells a pretty good one.  Of everything I've bought in the past 5 years, those are probably my favorite .

I'm not real fond of an overly thick crotch chami, and the Garneau shorts I ended up with are just about perfect.  I tossed all my Performance shorts because they felt like I was wearing an adult diaper.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

Boure or Aerotech.

In Boure, I like the Pro short with the Elite pad. The Elite pad imitates an old fashioned chamois. Which means it doesn't have  padding the way a modern chamois does. But if your saddle is a good fit, it's my favorite pad. If you'd like the short a little longer or shorter, or maybe a higher waist, they can do that, too. Their bibs have the best straps, soft, wide and stretchy.

https://www.boure.com/shortsmen.html

• Heart 3

10 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I like Pearl Izumi Elite bibs, but the majority of my rides are longer than 25 miles

I usually bought the cheap performance shit. My mother bought me some nice PI gloves which lasted way longer than the cheapos, but sadly the finger holes are now merging.  

My only short sleeve jersey that still fits though is an ancient performance one that is still holding up great. The back is sun faded it is so old.  Some of my favorite Lycra shorts were a “soft feel” gray from performance. Loved them but they didn’t last very long.  Got holes. The regular performance ones do have that diaper feel that page mentioned but they hold up great with very light use. :D

i would dig them up today but no one wants to see me in Lycra. :D  The Jersey is badanoff but too bad, I need the wicking and love the back pockets  

I think I will bust oot the baggies for today’s ride since it will probably be HHH oot  They are Dicks cheapos but very comfy and durable  No chamois, just some synthetic wicking material that works well  

I've got black Pearl Izumi's - the one's I wore while shopping at Walmart on a dare over at the LF several years ago and I've got navy-blue Aero Tech's - both of which fit and cushion fine,  I didn't buy red ones.

image002.jpg.4e947471e47ef1b89503faf7eff5d0ae.jpg

The black Pearl Izumi's are more discreet:

image001.jpg.1e1f8c6b9936ffde7955051ec36960c5.jpg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

7 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hey, did you catch my thread where I spent a fortune on Hokas? :D  

It will take a while to recover from that  :D

No, I am pretty hit or miss these days.  Depends on where I a working.  I cannot believe you ponied up for those!

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I was thinking of trying a pair of MTB shorts.  It seems that the sites I visited yesterday are carrying a lot more MTB shorts than the road bike style.  Is it a trend that many casual road bikers are starting to wear MTB shorts?  :huh:

...not everyone can rock the lycra look like I rock the lycra look.:flirtyeyess:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

All of my bibs are Performance Ultra’s and my MTB shorts are also Performance brand. I like my MTB shorts as they aren’t really “baggy” but are looser fitting than Lycra and have a couple of pockets which I like as I don’t always wear a jersey when on the MTB.

Im going to need to find a new source at some point but I’m good for a while.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I was thinking of trying a pair of MTB shorts.  It seems that the sites I visited yesterday are carrying a lot more MTB shorts than the road bike style.  Is it a trend that many casual road bikers are starting to wear MTB shorts?  :huh:

It is with those of us who are not slaves to fashion! (Freds?)

Like ChrisL, mine are not really baggy, just loose  I am way more comfy in them than in road bike shorts.   

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It is with those of us who are not slaves to fashion! (Freds?)

Like ChrisL, mine are not really baggy, just loose  I am way more comfy in them than in road bike shorts.   

This.

And 

Pockets

But then, I revel in being a Fred.

• Heart 1

I wear regular shorts over my cycling shorts, and a polo made from the same materials that regular cycling shirts are made from. I get them from Duluth. They make 3 or 4 different ones, this one is my fave.

When I started doing that, suddenly my neighbors started waving when I went by.

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-armachillo-cooling-short-sleeve-polo-shirt-56228.html?cgid=mens-shirts-polos&dwvar_56228_color=LTG#start=1&cgid=mens-shirts-polos

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I liked the days when not every road biker had to be in full kit. 

I've never been in a kit.  Just bike shorts and a cool tee for me.  I guess the transition to MTB shorts couldn't harm my already rebel look.  :D

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I've never been in a kit.  Just bike shorts and a cool tee for me.  I guess the transition to MTB shorts couldn't harm my already rebel look.  :D

Duluth has t shirts on sale made from wicking fabric.

38 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I liked the days when not every road biker had to be in full kit. 

When was this day?  For me it was the late 1970’s early 1980’s when bike touring was a thing.  Very few people wore kit including me back then.

I have been in Lycra on my road bikes since 1983 and still wear it as do most road cyclists out here. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

When was this day?  For me it was the late 1970’s early 1980’s when bike touring was a thing.  Very few people wore kit including me back then.

I have been in Lycra on my road bikes since 1983 and still wear it as do most road cyclists out here. 

Yup!  After the 70s fuel crunches when EVERYBODY bought a rode bike!  Ok, maybe they weren’t all rode. :D

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Jerseys have taken with me for the last 10-20 years because of the wicking and back pockets and form-fitting to eliminate wind ruffling. The zipper is snice too for hot and/ or humid days. Almost always plainos though.  Shotgun gave me a cool Victory Brewing Sunshine Pils one that I wore for awhile before I outgrew it, dammit!  :(

PI ad on this thread now. :D

On 7/4/2019 at 3:10 AM, Page Turner said:

...Garneau sells a pretty good one.  Of everything I've bought in the past 5 years, those are probably my favorite .

I'm not real fond of an overly thick crotch chami, and the Garneau shorts I ended up with are just about perfect.  I tossed all my Performance shorts because they felt like I was wearing an adult diaper.

I would second Garneau. Always liked the fit of their bibs.

23 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

Yep - I'm firmly in the Performance Ultra camp for shorts.  They hold up for a while and the chamois is pretty comfy and not too thick.  The Ultras are a bazillion times better than the Performance ones I bought over a decade ago that were insanely padded - maybe gel of some sort.  Buried somewhere in my closet are a few of those, since I don't think I ever truly "wear" out shorts before I replace them with slightly more comfy ones. 

Currently, I have four shorts (all Ultras) and four bibs (Ultra and Assos) in rotation.  If I can't get wash done after eight rides, I'm in trouble!

• Heart 1