Heat index of 98F at 9:30 am

MickinMD

Today I was going to cut the grass.  So I ate breakfast and stepped outside at 9:30 expecting temps in the 70's.

I stepped right back inside: hot in the upper 80's and humid.  It's heading toward a 100F+ heat index.

I can still do the lawn in three 15 minute segments with an air conditioned short rest in between.  That's the plan.  I put two bottles of water in the freezer so they'll be real cold when I'm outside.

• Awesome 1

The breeze is making it tolerable for short periods anyway.  My decision to bag cotton for the summer was confirmed today. While Ruby and I were walking in the park, two runners passed. One with a cottony shirt was drenched, while the other had a synthetic shirt and he was just a tad wet around the neck. I was feeling clammy so as soon as I got home I traded the cotton/ poly shirt for my one synthetic tee and it feels great!

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The breeze is making it tolerable for short periods anyway.  My decision to bag cotton for the summer was confirmed today. While Ruby and I were walking in the park, two runners passed. One with a cottony shirt was drenched, while the other had a synthetic shirt and he was just a tad wet around the neck. I was feeling clammy so as soon as I got home I traded the cotton/ poly shirt for my one synthetic tee and it feels great!

I just bought some Hanes pocket tees that claim to be all cotton.  They are really soft and comfortable.  The material is on the thin side.  I liked them so much, I went back to the store and bought more.  Feel even better in the heat than my poly ones.  I suspect the thickness of the material has a lot to do with cotton's comfort in hot weather.  I have some relatively thick cotton tees that I only wear in cool weather.  

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

97 F at 2:00 PM.  I was just sitting out back in the shade and sweating my ass off.   :(

Feels like a sauna in here. 

I am also out back in the shade too at 89 with 59% humidity making it feel like 98. It is only tolerable because of the intermittent light breeze. A little too intermittent though. I can fix that by going oot for a ride though!

• Envious 1

12 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

A little too intermittent though. I can fix that by going oot for a ride though!

I like going for a ride on really hot days.  Very few people are out.  Seems like even less traffic than normal.  Everyone hibernates in the AC.

What I have to worry about for the next 4 days is afternoon storms.  Supposed to be a real threat each day and exactly at the time I always ride.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I like going for a ride on really hot days.  Very few people are out.  Seems like even less traffic than normal.  Everyone hibernates in the AC.

What I have to worry about for the next 4 days is afternoon storms.  Supposed to be a real threat and exactly at the time I always ride.

Yup, time for me to get off my ass!

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Well, I've never been in an actual sauna, so I never heard someone say the joke before!   :D

...sauna's are great for aches and pains.  You should try it out come winter. Sauna and/or steam room is the main reason I belong to the gym where I swim.  I could probably swim over at the university for free, but no amenities. :( 

• Heart 1

90 here and I've been working my ass off.  We built a new gazebo on the deck.  It's not a pop up like my Coleman was but is rather a bolted together steel frame with mosquito netting, a bar table on one side.  I built as much as possible inside with air conditioning on but there were still a couple of hours of work outside.  We did it like 15 min on and 15 inside in the air.  I feel like I was digging ditches outside.  My rotator cuff problem shoulder aches but is fine.

I'm off for a cold shower.  There will be no ride today.  

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I don’t know how the hell you people live down south!

He's in "northern VA".

More importantly he's just west of the Atlantic heat sink.  The breeze makes a big difference.  If you go west toward Richmond it becomes untallareble.

4 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...sauna's are great for aches and pains.  You should try it out come winter. Sauna and/or steam room is the main reason I belong to the gym where I swim.  I could probably swim over at the university for free, but no amenities. :( 

Executive workout! :)

I like summer   :hapydance:

When it gets over about 120 on the cranes they leave you alone

I was almost totally soaked in sweat the other day, about 3 inches of my pants cuff was relativity dry, the rest of my clothing was saturated.   ...It did take a lot out of me, used to thrive on the heat, still like it but have to be careful..... 

• Heart 3
  • Confused 1