Blogs are still cool, right?

Forum Administrator

Wow, it’s nice to see you stop and smell the roses and take pictures etc. I hardly have any photos of the first time I did the trail. I didn’t have a full week to do it so I rode like a man on a mission.

When we did Petite’s Big Adventure we took our time and lots of photos. I hope you get some better weather for the rest of the trip.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I'm thinking of Day One when his bike was covered in mud, and the pic of you with petite.

That’s like my road. They messed with my road today, they made it worse. Cars almost stop when they get in front of my house. I thought I was getting company and then I hear them slowly proceeding on down into Skunk Hollow.

57 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I want to do that ride again...but even slower...to check out more things...that I missed the first time....

Even slower, you mean more days. That would be good. You don’t want to ride slower, you will fall over. I still feel bad about making you pedal down Big Savage mountain after promising you could coast the last 26 miles but we were out of daylight.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Even slower, you mean more days. That would be good. You don’t want to ride slower, you will fall over. I still feel bad about making you pedal down Big Savage mountain after promising you could coast the last 26 miles but we were out of daylight.

Exactly...not a slower speed..but more days...I do wanna coast down Big Savage...and I want to tour Antietam 

I made it!  I forget who told me that 5 days was too fast. But, thank you to whoever it was. I don’t think I would have been happy trying this is 5 days. 

I would have loved to spend an extra day on the C&O for the same reasons everyone else mentioned. There were a lot of places I wanted to stop and visit, but couldn’t. 

I already took a shower, but I think I will take a bath, drink some beers, then go to bed. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Check for ticks...I spent 3 weeks on antibiotics after the trip..found ticks..about 3 days (and 3 showers) later.

I think you picked up those ticks walking back and forth through the tall weeds worrying about Mike when he was MIA for awhile on our last night on the trail. That was our worst campsite of the entire trip. It could have been nice if they had mowed the grass. I think the guys that mow were afraid of the ticks too.

• Heart 1

Just now, Longjohn said:

I think you picked up those ticks walking back and forth through the tall weeds worrying about Mike when he was MIA for awhile on our last night on the trail. That was our worst campsite of the entire trip. It could have been nice if they had mowed the grass. I think the guys that mow were afraid of the ticks too.

To heck with the ticks..the spiders were huge at that site....

• Haha 1

Did you camp at the hiker/biker campsites? I saw one of the biggest spiders I have ever seen. It was between my tent and the rainfly. I think that thing was just sitting there waiting for me to put my glasses on so it could go back and tell its spider friends that it scared the crap out of someone. 

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Forum Administrator said:

Did you camp at the hiker/biker campsites? I saw one of the biggest spiders I have ever seen. It was between my tent and the rainfly. I think that thing was just sitting there waiting for me to put my glasses on so it could go back and tell its spider friends that it scared the crap out of someone. 

Yes...I would have to look up the name but it was our last night before DC...and the web was huge between the campsite and the porta potty...and there was one dang huge one IN the porta potty ..my journal is still on crazyguyonabike  petitepedals great adventure