Do lotsa younger generations like "The Beatles"

shootingstar

meaning their music, songs?  

Or it's just some boomers and older?  Methinks I will convince dearie to see the movie, "Yesterday",  https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/movies/8510074/yesterday-beatles-movie-review-tribeca-film-festival  This story line is a British South Asian guy who loves and sings Beatles songs but finds the world he wakes up in conscious doesn't know who the Beatles are.  So has this happened big time 2-3 generations younger than us?  

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

None of my kids like the Beatles.  

Same with mine, they don’t know the Beetles.

2 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I thought the Beatles were OK growing up. It wasn't until college and beyond did I really appreciate them. I was a Gen Xer. I seriously doubt any of the newer generations have ever heard much of their stuff... except to use it to bash the baby boomer generation.

I never listened to the Beetles as a teen and I had pretty broad musical likes.  My older siblings played them & I learned to appreciate them as an adult but their music doesn’t speak to me.

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

The Beatles are awesome.  Does anyone, event The Beatles, understand the meaning?

I'm ignorant ..what is the meaning?  I just listen vacuously to songs. That's what boomers are: money -grubbing, superfluous, some ex-hippies who talked about feminism, civil rights, etc.  They knew nothing, did nothing for social justice movements in the 1960-1970's....oh yea, wasn't it them in CAnada that passed the pesky human rights legislation, protection of personal information...oh yea..it was THEM that forged the law in the first place, it was them that encouraged more women in engineering, etc.

Just now, shootingstar said:

I'm ignorant ..what is the meaning? 

I meant the meaning of their songs.

See if you can find a video / recording of Paul talking about what Let it Be means.  I always assumed "mother Mary comes to me" was a religious comment.  It's about his dead mother Mary who comes to him in a dream.  The Beatles all proclaimed to be non-religious.  Unless one were to spend a lot of time studying the meaning of the lyrics, you're not likely to understand.

26 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My kids are aware of the Stones, Beatles and Pink Floyd from hearing it in the car, a lot. Appreciate it? Not yet, we’ll see if that happens when they go off to college over the next few years. 

Hmmm....it might be something like death of loved ones or other major life stuff, where maybe some Beatle songs then, might have more meaning.

My daughter (age 16) likes them but doesn't love them.

My son (almost 13) loves them - but he's been exposed to them more, more time in the car with my wife and the Beatles Channel on sat radio. 

We were all out in the car and "Let It Be" came on. My son wondered if it was the single version, or the album version with the killer guitar solo. I was so proud! :D

I am 47 and i think any list of the Best Bands Ever needs to start with them. 

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Hmmm....it might be something like death of loved ones or other major life stuff, where maybe some Beatle songs then, might have more meaning.

I was thinking they might have friends who like it and expose them more to it. Surely some people are newly turned on to older music on a regular basis. More cool that way than when dad plays it.

Well let’s put this in perspective, did you like music from 30-40 years before you were born?

I can’t say I have much of an appreciation for big band music. Young Elvis, meh, Bill Haley & the Comets, not so much... But they were innovators, OK...

Not liking the Beatles isn’t an indictment on the current youngsters, it’s just the way it always has been...

Of course I heard and liked their songs on the radio, but they had broken up when I was in 2nd grade! My parents were more into country so they weren’t a big deal in our house. 

A radio station started doing a Beatles show on Sunday nights as I was heading to bed when I was in Jr High.  I would put my radio on the timer so it would shut off after the show. I really came to appreciate them a lot more. Bought several albums. 

I played them a lot when the kids were little, but it seemed the adulation by the general populace got to be too much and I  withdrew from the somewhat. 

My kids are better versed in the Stones and 60s R&B because I was playing that more in their formative years. My oldest daughter has even thanked me for her musical education growing up. She can’t believe the musical ignorance of her contemporaries. 

• Heart 1

Beatles will always be studied, they present a nice compact portion of music history.  

Simple early banal stuff about holding hands, but well executed. The move to more exciting and diverse topics, then other textures and experimenting. 

The Beatles moved the needle, and were kings of their time. Good tunes, interesting personalities, strange times socially, clear progression, developed depth, they had it all. 

Yeah, kids will be forced to learn about dinosaur bands, then grudgingly like some of it, then like it more and more.  Beatles are an easy case study, they changed music history. 

• Awesome 2

Depending on which generational chart you use I'm either a last year gen X or a first gen millennial. 

I listen to the Beatles. I like the Beatles. I am probably a minority. I have a wide taste in music and grew up with parents determined to give me an appreciation of all the genres. I listened to Bach, Beatles, Brooks (both Garth and of the Dunn variety), Iggy, Floyd, Bowie and my own generations of music from the 80's on.

Lennon Imagine is probably one of the best albums ever written. 

• Heart 1

When I taught high school up to 2006, the kids all knew who The Beatles were but didn't know any of their songs.  By the '90's I learned I could no longer refer to a record player when teaching circular motion in physics: few of the teens had ever seen one.

The kid's who were in the school orchestra and marching band - which was directed by Baby Boomers - from the '80's on knew a lot of songs made famous by big bands like Glenn Miller. They knew more of the 1930's-50's swing, jazz, and blues stuff than they knew '50's-70's rock and roll.  I had an mp3 of Glenn Miller's In The Mood and one of Bette Midler's also excellent In The Mood - and the teenagers wanted to hear the Glenn Miller version during chess club or science club, etc.

I'm a "greatest hits" sort of Beatles, Lennon, or McCarthy/Wings type of person.  Definitely like a bunch of their stuff, but by no means a true fan.  The current generation of RE's nieces and nephews have little or no interest or knowledge of any of it.  Likely just through movies or commercials.