What do you know about dishwashers.

maddmaxx

I have a water leak in the basement when the dishwasher runs.  The leak is not in the cabinet under the sink where the water is sourced or drains.  The leak is not in the piping under the floor because the water is in the flooring above the piping.  It's not a door seal because it's not out on top of the kitchen floor.  

When I open the dishwasher door and look up I see two screws in front going up into the counter.  Would I be correct that removing these would allow the dishwasher slide out of it's hole in the cabinets?  I would like to check out the hoses behind the dishwasher for leaks, bad fittings or even a leaking input valve on the dishwasher.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

When I open the dishwasher door and look up I see two screws in front going up into the counter.  Would I be correct that removing these would allow the dishwasher slide out of it's hole in the cabinets?

That's all that was holding mine in.  Some have wheels, some you just tug out.  Either way, they are not too heavy.

• Heart 2

Yep.  Remove the screws and slide it out.  Where the water supply hose attaches (normally a 90 degree fitting) is where most leaks occur but how old are we talking?    A water supply leak would be constant though, not just when using the D/W. I have done kitchen Renos where the case itself is corroded through.  The pump is also a common leak as is the drain hose.  

Easy stuff.  9 times out of 10, you will be off to the appliance store shopping for a dishwasher though.  It just makes economic sense. 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am disappointed in our Samsung crapping oot 5-10 years after we bought it.  I expected much better. 

A good friend of mine has been in the kitchen business all his life.  The manufacturers and appliance makers plan on 10 year remodel cycles so target that for service life.  Even companies like Wolfe and Sub-Zero have reduced their service life, intentionally. 

• Sad 1

I came home last summer to water all over the kitchen floor. It looked like it was coming from the dishwasher. It took a while to find it, and had to clear everything from under the sink and crawl in and find it, but it turned out to be the kitchen faucet. And apparently it had been leaking for some time. :dontknow:

16 minutes ago, wilbur said:

A good friend of mine has been in the kitchen business all his life.  The manufacturers and appliance makers plan on 10 year remodel cycles so target that for service life.  Even companies like Wolfe and Sub-Zero have reduced their service life, intentionally. 

I have been out place 22 years and installed dishwasher #3 last year so that seems about right.

59 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am disappointed in our Samsung crapping oot 5-10 years after we bought it.  I expected much better. 

Well, I discovered the date on the dishwasher and it appears to be 16 years old.  I'm relaxing now, more comfortable in the attitude that it's going to be replaced..........by some other poor schmuck.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Our Bosch is insanely quite, and we didn't get the quietest one they had.

I think we got their quietest one, as our kitchen, dining a mind living room area are open to each other. I’m often not sure if I have turned it on.

7 years is the average lifespan of a dishwasher, according to our appliance salesman.

4 hours ago, wilbur said:

9 times out of 10, you will be off to the appliance store shopping for a dishwasher though.  It just makes economic sense. 

I was going to say leaks are not good. It's probably time to replace.

4 hours ago, wilbur said:

100%.  It's the way the economy works.  Planned obsolescence.  

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

I was going to say leaks are not good. It's probably time to replace.

100%.  It's the way the economy works.  Planned obsolescence.  

They may have also cut costs because that's what most consumers are willing to pay.  The customer is complacent in this as well.  I know that I'm not willing to pay $1000 for a dishwasher that will probably outlive me.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They may have also cut costs because that's what most consumers are willing to pay.  The customer is complacent in this as well.  I know that I'm not willing to pay $1000 for a dishwasher that will probably outlive me.

At your age, you may have trouble finding such a beast.  :)

When I replaced my 16 y/o+ dishwasher, easy enough to do for 1 person. Those two screws serve 2 functions. Not only hold it in, but also keep it from tipping when the door is open, so make sure you reattach them. For it not to be leaking 100% of time, probably not the input line because that valve is kept open...except when removing/installing the dishwasher. More likely the drain as it opens several tomes within the cycles.  Connects to the main drain around the garbage disposal if you have one. As others have said, you will be amazed how quiet the current ones are. As others have said, Bosch, shopping done. I ended up getting a Maytag (Whirlpool clone) and have had no problems, plus equally quiet. At the time I wasn't quite ready to get away from the heating element, but if done today would get the Bosch which at the time was my second choice. 

Womaxx went out today and took a look at the local appliance store.  She fell in love with a Kitchenaid middle of the road unit, more expensive than I would buy but when she took me back to see it I was impressed.  I came home to read the reviews etc.  They are all good to very good.  Some features I actually like that make it a bit more expensive are stainless interior (all), choice of fan dry without heat, a 3rd flat rack for big knives and spatulas as well as cutting board........and the smoothest most solid ball bearing rack tracks I've ever felt.

Anyone have anything to say bad about Kitchenaid?

9 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Womaxx went out today and took a look at the local appliance store.  She fell in love with a Kitchenaid middle of the road unit, more expensive than I would buy but when she took me back to see it I was impressed.  I came home to read the reviews etc.  They are all good to very good.  Some features I actually like that make it a bit more expensive are stainless interior (all), choice of fan dry without heat, a 3rd flat rack for big knives and spatulas as well as cutting board........and the smoothest most solid ball bearing rack tracks I've ever felt.

About 5 years ago they had some units that had fires in the control panels.  We had one in the cottage and were advised but never had an issue.    We have had Kitchaid in the past and they build a good product.  Very quiet operation and heat drying is a nice option. especially if one is a germaphobe. :)  Smeg is better. :)  

1 minute ago, wilbur said:

About 5 years ago they had some units that had fires in the control panels.  We had one in the cottage and were advised but never had an issue.    We have had Kitchaid in the past and they build a good product.  Very quiet operation and heat drying is a nice option. especially if one is a germaphobe. :)  Smeg is better. :)  

I fear that Smeg, like Bosch, is out of my price range.

I too like heated dry, but it's hard on my salvaged collection of McDonalds plastic cups.  ?

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, wilbur said:

We only put dishes glasses and cutlery in the DW.  No plastics or kitchen knives or pots etc.  Certainly no melty stuff.  I don't put that in the oven either. :) 

We put in almost everything.  Greasy plastic cleans very well.  The henckels go on the top (third) rack.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

This one?

image.jpg

• Awesome 1

Kitchenaid is owned by Whirlpool who also owns Maytag, Amana and others. Usual difference in minor trim - shape of handles, etc, but parts ate typically interchangeable. Only problem I have had with the Maytag were the wheels on the shelves. it is a total plastic assembly and the plastic axel wears with the with the wheels popping off. Each replacement assembly is $19.99. Found a YouTube video with solution (and gives sizes to buy). Essentially use stainless steel bolts and washers to create a new axel for the wheels and it is bombproof! Ace Hardware sell stainless steel components in bulk bins so you can pick the exact number you need vs the convenience packs at Home Depot and Lowes. Over time, replaces all eight wheel assemblies and works great.