People react very adversely to the "N" and "C" words.

Wilbur

This is why I banned the use of them when I managed a large corporate flight department.

I made it a rule that rather than saying "no" or "can't", the Captains would have to find a better way to express it and offer a solution, when dealing with the passengers.  

The top brass didn't get to the top by accepting "no" as an answer.  I always said "They are allergic to the "N" word.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

That goes hand-in-hand with the coaching instruction I was taught and later taught my athletes:

Quitters never win because winners never quit.

When I applied for a summer job after my first year of college at the Bethlehem Steel Shipyard in Baltimore, the interviewer opened up a closed Venetian blind and asked me, "Can you climb?"

The view out the window was of a huge freighter were guys on scaffolds were about 50 feet above the deck scraping and painting a big smokestack. The sudden vision of it was planned to test my reaction.

It scared me half to death to think about working up there, but the pay was 2 1/2 times minimum wage so I answered, "If you need me to work there it might take me a while to get used to it but, sure, I can do it."

I had learned the sports lesson well.

I got the job and never had to climb anything besides a gangplank all summer.  A close, high school friend who also got a summer job there that summer and didn't have to climb was Mike Meros, who later became a member of the Beach Boys touring band from 1979-2001. We carpooled together.

I walked into a managers office and told him to approve a purchase requisition for a few thousand dollars, to keep an antique crane somewhat safe. As he OK'd it I commented that he was probably sick of seeing me.

He told me that I was always welcome, I found problems, and brought solutions, all it cost was money.