Weird pedal thing yesterday

Randomguy

We went to pick up the wife's bike yesterday.  Ordered speedplay zero's and she just could not clip in, at all, three bike shop people trying to figure out why.  We finally just switched out to Keo's because it was late and the baby was fussy as hell, she had no trouble clicking in when the pedals were changed out.

Now I am no novice, despite the fact that I haven't really ridden in a couple of years, not in any real way, anyway.  These guys clearly were not in the speedplay camp and said as much.  They were putting grease on the pedals and cleats (this made me cringe in a big way) and over-tightening the cleats.  I have also set up these pedals for 10-12 people that I knew, and never had any problems.  I grabbed the shoes and backed off the screws so the springs could move, still incredibly hard to get into, and not in a "gotta break 'em in" kind of way.  The cleat/shoe interface looked good, seemed to be shimmed up properly.

So what gives?

We wouldn't sell Zero to most women, they can't clip in for some reason.  Light action no problem.  Overtightening the screws makes the problem worse.  Greasing the pedals and cleats is just stupid; they ought to be fired.

Yeah, no crap on the grease thing, at the very least some handy tri-flow or better is a much more logical and less gunky choice.  But why the problem for chicks?  There is nothing anatomical that would preclude using zero's that I can tell, you don't need a dick to ride a particular pedal.  The shoes were Giro Solara, btw, and like I said, everything looked good on the shoe/cleat plate interface.

I don't know what the root cause is because I never had a problem with Speedplays.  But when I sold them, women could not seem to clip in with Zeros.  Light action sure, but not Zeros.  Center cleat on pedal and press.  The women that could clip in had already had Speedplays and understood how it worked.  One of Earth's great mysteries I guess.