I just ordered coffee from Portland.

1 hour ago, late said:

What coffee did you get?

Trader Joes has a tolerable Ethiopian right now, about $10 a bag.

You, sir, are talking to a man of means.  He can’t just stroll into a common Trader Joe’s all willy-nilly  and simply take things off the shelf, what would the people think?  Tongues would wag, and then an example or two would have to be made to quiet the masses, IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, late said:

What coffee did you get?

Trader Joes has a tolerable Ethiopian right now, about $10 a bag.

...I used to drink that, before I gave up caffeine.

49 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

All the uppity people here are bloviating continually about the merits of Blue Bottle. 

I don’t like coffee, but you hear things. 

...hear this: Once you give up caffeine, all the uppity stuff goes straight out the window.  You're stuck with whatever they decide to decaffeinate. :( #no_more_uppity 

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Shu Fang said:

Some hair banger thing.  It is supposed to be pretty good for espresso, which I don't make.

Shu Fang

Long time ago, I used to use a cheap espresso machine to brew medium roast coffee. It was really cheap, a mocha pot would give you a more intense brew. But it worked really well with a few types of coffee.

Point is, I don't have a problem with changing things up. But the other problem is that espresso solves problems that no longer exist. Centuries ago, coffee was insanely expensive, growing and shipping methods ranged from mediocre to dreadful, and the end result was bad coffee.

Espresso uses high pressure to get the max out of a small amount of coffee. The roasting gave it some flavor, and masked some other flavors (like mold).

Anyway, most coffee is bad, for one reason or another. Try coffeereview.com

11 hours ago, Randomguy said:

You, sir, are talking to a man of means.  He can’t just stroll into a common Trader Joe’s all willy-nilly  and simply take things off the shelf, what would the people think?  Tongues would wag, and then an example or two would have to be made to quiet the masses, IS THAT WHAT YOU WANT?

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I just about live in The Expanse, a scifi set a few hundred years in the future. Millions live in the outer reaches of the solar system, and the cost of shipping anything, is prohibitive. So nearly everything they eat is fake.

Since I started reading the 8 book series, there has been a ton of progress in making fake food.

So, perhaps perversely, I am really eager to try this fake coffee, and fake steak, and...