Veganism. More P&R than P or R?

Wilbur

31 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Or perhaps you just not participate?  :) 

Or I perhaps provide the thoughtless with a thought:

Is meat grown in a lab vegan?

I think it is, since it didn't come from an animal, but I bet that will get actual vegans screaming.

3 minutes ago, wilbur said:

It seems to draw the same polarized radicals that P&R does.  

IMO worse.  The political discussions there are downright civil compared to the Vegan "experts" attitudes.  We have one.  He used to be political but he found a new thing to irritate folks with.  There are others there however who can discuss veganism without beating everyone about the head and shoulders.

• Haha 1

Most diets are fads and have a lot of B.S. surrounding them.  When I was spending time at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD, in the 90's, researching the high school nutrition science curriculum I coauthored, Vegetarianism with supplements, the Mediterranean Diet, and the DASH Diet were held in very high esteem.

For what it's worth, there are many more former vegetarians and vegans than there are current ones. In the USA 2% are current vegetarians or vegans, 10% are former ones, and 88% have never been one.

Diets that try to convince you that we should eat like our ancestors is illogical for two reasons. 1) their ancient diet allowed them to bear and raise children so it did not select for reaching middle and old age in good health and 2) they often did not have the variety of foods that would maximize their health.

High carb or high protein diets have their own weaknesses - though diabetics can benefit from avoiding certain carbs.

Etc. Etc.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, wilbur said:

It seems to draw the same polarized radicals that P&R does.  

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

IMO worse.  The political discussions there are downright civil compared to the Vegan "experts" attitudes.  We have one.  He used to be political but he found a new thing to irritate folks with.  There are others there however who can discuss veganism without beating everyone about the head and shoulders.

3 hours ago, late said:

Not to mention the whiners on the sidelines.

...ru-ru-ru-ru-ru-rutabaga.

I've learned that veganism is just as polarizing as politics and religion.  Who knew.

Ever since I was little, I've had a hard to convincing myself that another sentient being needed to be raised inhumanly and then slaughter so that I could eat it's flesh.

A few years ago, I fell for some of the "experts" who led me to believe that eating a foreign animal protein may cause inflammation.  I've had bladder pain for almost 17 years now and have tried so many things to correct it.  I decided to given being vegan a try.  

Once I went vegan, the worries over other sentient creatures bothered me more.  I am vegan for many reasons, none that you need to believe nor accept.  I'm OK with that.  I will not try to convince you it's better than being an omnivore.  It may be, it may not.

It's not likely I will remain vegan, I may allow eggs and milk back in as ingredients because it is really difficult to maintain being vegan, especially while travelling.  Plus I love candy corn.  It is not likely I will consume meat again though.

14 hours ago, wilbur said:

Doubt it.. Corn goes through for a reason.

Am I the only freaking person in the world that actually digests corn?  Okay, if I remember right, my son digests corn.  My daughter loves to eat corn, but digest not so well.

I really didn't get the corn joke until I had kids.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've learned that veganism is just as polarizing as politics and religion.  Who knew.

Ever since I was little, I've had a hard to convincing myself that another sentient being needed to be raised inhumanly and then slaughter so that I could eat it's flesh.

A few years ago, I fell for some of the "experts" who led me to believe that eating a foreign animal protein may cause inflammation.  I've had bladder pain for almost 17 years now and have tried so many things to correct it.  I decided to given being vegan a try.  

Once I went vegan, the worries over other sentient creatures bothered me more.  I am vegan for many reasons, none that you need to believe nor accept.  I'm OK with that.  I will not try to convince you it's better than being an omnivore.  It may be, it may not.

It's not likely I will remain vegan, I may allow eggs and milk back in as ingredients because it is really difficult to maintain being vegan, especially while travelling.  Plus I love candy corn.  It is not likely I will consume meat again though.

I never question ones motives to be vegan, I only question the voracity they defend and promote it with.  It is a cross between Antifa and Peta tactics! :) 

• Heart 1

25 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Being vegan does not have to require a war at every possible opportunity.  I like your style of veganism.  I like what DH does as well.  You chose for yourselves.  I do not like to be bombarded by practicing saints who cut and past long articles that have little to do with my choices.  It is that antagonistic veganism similar in a manner to proselytizing members of religion that gets my goat.  I have trouble seeing a difference between super aggressive vegans and super aggressive muslim extremists.

• Heart 1

Eating more plants makes me feel very good. We had meat yesterday but we shared one piece of prosciutto that I cooked for crispy salad topping. Also we shared about a 1/4 cup of chicken that I sprinkled on top of a veggie stir fry for dinner. Mostly we eat plants these days. 

I am having a hard time with cheese. I love it and can't take it 100% out of my diet.  

The more veg I eat, the more I crave it. 

• Heart 1

"If you want to change behavior, change the price."

A Carbon Tax would completely change the proverbial landscape here. Sure it would cut down on carbon emissions. But it would also spur innovation, encourage local agriculture, encourage more reasonable eating habits, it would even encourage cycling.

We will soon be able to vastly reduce the carbon footprint of food. We can do a lot now, but we will be developing foods that are as good or better than the originals.

But we can do a lot now. Something as trivial (in the grand scheme of things) as moving food coming across the country, from trucks to trains, would be a significant reduction in carbon emissions. We can also make the trains all electrical, build alternative energy sources to power them, and reduce the carbon foot footprint even more.

We just need to pull our head out of our butt.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Plants make me feel like crap. I hate plants. 

Me too.   Soy is poison, sugar is poison, wheat is poison, strawberries, kiwi and some nuts are outright death.  Me and plants don't get along. There isn't a single meat, except soy fed meat, that has an adverse effect.  Radical vegans can pound sand. 

20 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

My dog sometimes eats poop.  Is poop considered vegan?

Is it cow or horse poop? If so it probably was vegan. 

My first Aussie loved fresh horse poop. my god I couldn’t keep her out of it... So freaking nasty...

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Me too.   Soy is poison, sugar is poison, wheat is poison, strawberries, kiwi and some nuts are outright death.  Me and plants don't get along. There isn't a single meat, except soy fed meat, that has an adverse effect.  Radical vegans can pound sand.  

Seems like most of us get by eating all those things just fine. Many of those things for millennia.  Odd.

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems like most of us get by eating all those things just fine. Many of those things for millennia.  Odd.

Don't play idiot. We leave that up to FX.   Food sensitivities and allergies have been around as long as people. There is nothing "odd" at all about it. 

43 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Don't play idiot. We leave that up to FX.   Food sensitivities and allergies have been around as long as people. There is nothing "odd" at all about it. 

Still odd. It's like you have something against healthy food.  I can't explain.