Well the foundation is complete

Dottleshead

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The inspector made us change our plans from 2X8 girders because he said they were not strong enough. We went with double 2X12s. He liked those, I didn’t, they are hard to crawl under.

Inspectors gotta get over themselves 

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Dottie said:

He migrated from Cuba 17 years ago and  I am under the impression he builds things to last.

You realize all those cars that were built to last down there in Cuba were BUILT IN THE USA!!!!!

Get a guy from Detroit to help you next time!

Just now, jsharr said:
7 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Everything is made of concrete there.

Yeah, but if this was in Cuba, all the materials would be from the 1950's or stolen, no? 

And isn't the deck part of this monstrosity going to be wood???? Dottie confuses the heck out of me.

A cord of wood weighs over 4,000 lbs. and does not fit in a pickup truck - 

An average seasoned cord of hardwood weighs more than 2 tons!! Unstacked it will take up to 200 cubic feet in space. An 8 ft. pick up truck would have to pile the wood uniformly at 5 feet tall to fit an ustacked cord. The average pick up truck can only haul 1/2 a cord of firewood at a time.

4000lb x 9 cords= 36,000lbs. I doubt I will ever have more than 6 cords at any time but you get the idea.  This platform was designed to hold the weight.

3 hours ago, Dottie said:

A cord of wood can weigh up to 4k pounds or higher if wet. Apple alone weighs that if dry and I have apple. I have room to store up to 9 cords. It hasta hold the weight.

If you’re not building a shed on your platform I don’t know why you need a platform. Throw a tarp down on the ground, the earth can easily hold 36,000 lbs. You need to keep going and build a woodshed. Smudge can give you pointers if you get stuck.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If you’re not building a shed on your platform I don’t know why you need a platform. Throw a tarp down on the ground, the earth can easily hold 36,000 lbs. You need to keep going and build a woodshed. Smudge can give you pointers if you get stuck.

And money is no object now that the Foundation is set up!

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

If he is too close to the edge of the earth, stacking that much weight on one side might cause it to flip over?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

Nothing but the best for my firewood.  And if I decide to go shed -- then nothing but the best for my pellets. Geez.  

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I could throw a garden rake and a lawn mower in there.  Or pellets.  Tons and tons of pellets.  I got options.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1