Jumped Shark For Gravel?

Razors Edge

19 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

A classic "Really? WTF??" moment for me. $9,500 can't be explained away by the eTap premium price.

image.thumb.png.8a9acfc9c9c3c8bc74b7f109f19965c5.png

I didn’t open the link but the URS 3 & 4 are relatively low priced.  Assuming it’s the same frame it’s gotta be the component spec. Besides drivetrain, Carbon wheels and cockpit can add up.

But I wouldn’t ride a $10k bike let alone off road!

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I didn’t open the link but the URS 3 & 4 are relatively low priced.  Assuming it’s the same frame it’s gotta be the component spec. Besides drivetrain, Carbon wheels and cockpit can add up.

But I wouldn’t ride a $10k bike let alone off road!

Specialized went right to the $10k mark with the new Diverge.  Sure, it's DA Di2, and other nice stuff, but not $10k of nice stuff.

image.thumb.png.653b8c69c7971e1f8d4b03dced76085d.png

21 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Specialized went right to the $10k mark with the new Diverge.  Sure, it's DA Di2, and other nice stuff, but not $10k of nice stuff.

image.thumb.png.653b8c69c7971e1f8d4b03dced76085d.png

Mountain bikes are also reaching & exceeding $10K which is just nuts to me.  There is a point of diminishing returns where over around  $6K you are not getting a whole lot more for that extra $4K.

Oh and your gonna slam that bike off road... Yikes!

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Mountain bikes are also reaching & exceeding $10K which is just nuts to me.  There is a point of diminishing returns where over around  $6K you are not getting a whole lot more for that extra $4K. 

Oh and your gonna slam that bike off road... Yikes! 

It is sort of bull sheotty to me.  As you know, I have an S-Works with Di2 DA and Zipp carbon and yada yada yada, but it ain't a $10k bike now or three years ago when I got it.  It is now an $11k(!!!) bike on the Spec site with there being several even more pricey.  What has changed in three years to go from ~$7k to $11k?????  The Tarmac is still Fact 11, still has DA Di2, still pretty much everything except they update to the frame and that disc brakes are now the ONLY option on many of the bikes.

image.thumb.png.ccb9ffcd1f502ee52f40cbe941027b9d.png

image.thumb.png.7066c8077828ab00b0113cedfc7adde4.png

image.thumb.png.2267f29526d4f874adb85b8e3b98ce45.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, Razors Edge said:

It is sort of bull sheotty to me.  As you know, I have an S-Works with Di2 DA and Zipp carbon and yada yada yada, but it ain't a $10k bike now or three years ago when I got it.  It is now an $11k(!!!) bike on the Spec site with there being several even more pricey.  What has changed in three years to go from ~$7k to $11k?????  The Tarmac is still Fact 11, still has DA Di2, still pretty much everything except they update to the frame and that disc brakes are now the ONLY option on many of the bikes.

image.thumb.png.ccb9ffcd1f502ee52f40cbe941027b9d.png

image.thumb.png.7066c8077828ab00b0113cedfc7adde4.png

image.thumb.png.2267f29526d4f874adb85b8e3b98ce45.png

You own a $7k bike?

Pics, I need to see that fancy thing.

19 hours ago, dennis said:

You own a $7k bike?

Pics, I need to see that fancy thing.

It's been here plenty of times.  And apparently, I am still off on my prices from that time.  Mine - a built up frameset - would fall somewhere between the mechanical DA build and the disc brake equipped Di2 version.  Even if it was at $8k+, the greater than 10%/year price increases to this current $11k are NUTS.

image.png.828fc1def6d278197b8359a7ae9ad5c6.png

image.thumb.png.d79b6fd76ee6352a3ccff788526edeae.png

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

It's been here plenty of times.  And apparently, I am still off on my prices from that time.  Mine - a built up frameset - would fall somewhere between the mechanical DA build and the disc brake equipped Di2 version.  Even if it was at $8k+, the greater than 10%/year price increases to this current $11k are NUTS.

image.png.828fc1def6d278197b8359a7ae9ad5c6.png

image.thumb.png.d79b6fd76ee6352a3ccff788526edeae.png

That's a doper's bike! Or a tainted meat eater's bike.

• Haha 1

I entered a race yesterday. Cat 2 climb. I was first one to the top. Shattered the course record. I used my own form of doping. Orbea Gain to the rescue. I started one minute behind the others. As I rolled past the start, the race organizer was laughing. I rolled up next to one of my friends and asked Who's winning? Then I dropped him and everyone else. I was wearing street clothes and had a backpack full of bagels. I had to stop twice. Once becuase my shoe laces got caught in the chainring and once because I found $10.

DETAILS: 6.1 Km • 550m • 9.5% Av • 20% Mx

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dennis said:

I entered a race yesterday. Cat 2 climb. I was first one to the top. Shattered the course record. I used my own form of doping. Orbea Gain to the rescue. I started one minute behind the others. As I rolled past the start, the race organizer was laughing. I rolled up next to one of my friends and asked Who's winning? Then I dropped him and everyone else. I was wearing street clothes and had a backpack full of bagels. I had to stop twice. Once becuase my shoe laces got caught in the chainring and once because I found $10.

DETAILS: 6.1 Km • 550m • 9.5% Av • 20% Mx

WTF? Racing in Europe now???

Or are folks just pretentious out there in the West?

Probably used the $10 to pay for your Chardonnay spritzer????

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WTF? Racing in Europe now???

Or are folks just pretentious out there in the West?

Probably used the $10 to pay for your Chardonnay spritzer????

Yeah, I asked him about that. He said it's because his Strava acct is set up that way for Nordic racing. And $10 would be a deal for a Chardonnay here.