Mad bike skills story

Parsnip Totin Jack

15 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I just heard this from a friend. On Saturday, she was riding her road bike with some friends. Going 40 mph on a descent and hits a stick in the road, no way to avoid it. The impact causes her to bounce of the saddle and hit the top tube with her hoohah. Cracked the carbon top tube but she managed to keep the bike upright and get to the side of the road. Needed 20 stitches in the hoohah region. I was the only one who heard the tale to compliment her on her bike handling skills. I didn’t ask to see the stitches cause I’m a gentleman.

Wow! Yeah that would be hard to stay upright with smashed bits & a busted frame.

20 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Wow! Yeah that would be hard to stay upright with smashed bits & a busted frame. 

I wonder if it looked as bad as Kasper Asgreen's did after his TdF crash a couple days ago?

image.png.f59d394aba60dcb1c8b9a4a84851606b.png

"I just got a bottle out of the car, but I already had two on the bike, so I took it in my mouth and found some spectators to throw the empty one to. So when I looked down to place the new bottle in the holder, I rode head-on into a sign on a traffic island," Asgreen told Danish broadcaster TV 2 Sport. "It was a huge schoolboy error."

The collision saw Asgreen’s Specialized bike snap in two, with clean breaks on the down tube and top tube, along with a broken front wheel, as seen above in the photographs taken by Cyclingnews.

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I wonder if it looked as bad as Kasper Asgreen's did after his TdF crash a couple days ago?

"I just got a bottle out of the car, but I already had two on the bike, so I took it in my mouth and found some spectators to throw the empty one to. So when I looked down to place the new bottle in the holder, I rode head-on into a sign on a traffic island," Asgreen told Danish broadcaster TV 2 Sport. "It was a huge schoolboy error."

The collision saw Asgreen’s Specialized bike snap in two, with clean breaks on the down tube and top tube, along with a broken front wheel, as seen above in the photographs taken by Cyclingnews.

*** SPOILER ALERT *** ? 

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So carbon ought to be your #1 choice.

My Gunnar is my best bike. It looks like it's been through a war, carbon would never survive me. There's a reason you don't see carbon touring bikes.

I suggest we agree to disagree.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, late said:

I am a big guy with a history of breaking shit.

24 minutes ago, late said:

I am a big guy with a history of breaking shit.

I was going to post something similar but didn’t.

Ride what makes you happy.  Shoot I ride aluminum more than carbon these days...

28 minutes ago, late said:

Me too.

Do they still make bamboo/carbon bikes? Or was that just for flyfishing.

I think so but they are custom one offs.  

I may have mentioned it once but a good friends dad passes and he got a lot of his stuff.  He had a “crappy old cane pole” he wanted to show me. Was a sweet bamboo fly rod!  I told him it was worth some bucks and to not toss it.

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think so but they are custom one offs.  

I may have mentioned it once but a good friends dad passes and he got a lot of his stuff.  He had a “crappy old cane pole” he wanted to show me. Was a sweet bamboo fly rod!  I told him it was worth some bucks and to not toss it. 

Velonews just ran an article in their magazine on the Calfee bamboo bikes, and they are still around and for sale. Not cheap, but neat. So, 10 years in and still around. Still using carbon forks, too.

1 hour ago, late said:

My Gunnar is my best bike. It looks like it's been through a war, carbon would never survive me. There's a reason you don't see carbon touring bikes.

I suggest we agree to disagree.

In Rattlecan’s Facebook group last week someone hit a pothole and broke their carbon frame. They said they guessed they needed a new bike now. That’s when all the “when I broke my carbon frame” stories came up and where they sent it to be repaired. No matter what people try to say carbon does break more than other material.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Imagine walking into your LBS with that and trying to use the "I was just riding along story"

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

In Rattlecan’s Facebook group last week someone hit a pothole and broke their carbon frame. They said they guessed they needed a new bike now. That’s when all the “when I broke my carbon frame” stories came up and where they sent it to be repaired. No matter what people try to say carbon does break more than other material.

Here I’ll add another... My cousin rolled over a piece of metal (he thought it might have been an edger blade that fell off a gardeners truck) that kicked up and whacked the bottom of his down tube.  It shredded  3” hole in the Carbon.  He was able to get it repaired.

When I was riding my Anthem in Vegas last year I was climbing a stepped rocky climb and got my wheels hung up and tipped over.  The aluminum seat stay hit a rock and was gouged.  When I had the bike in for service I told the wrench what happened and asked if a Carbon stay would have survived that.  He didn’t think it would have and so do I.

Carbon has its place but I’m a firm believer in Aluminum for off road based on cost & durability.  I’ll take my chances with Carbon on the road.

...when I did my full endo dismount last year on the light rail tracks, I got lucky and the (steel) top tube smacked me in the thigh right next to my member, instead of in my member sack.  The bruise was about six inches long by three wide and it eventually turned all the colors of the rainbow except red...

I know that the thigh bruise was from the top tube and not my member, because of the length of the bruise and because my member was not hard at the time I rolled.

Stitches near your hoohah sounds like something that might keep you off the bike for a while.  If I were lucky enough to have a hoohah , I'd like to think I'd be more careful with it.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

I sincerely hope you sold her some clipless pedals and shoes, that kind of being thrown up and off generally doesn’t happen if you are clipped in. 

And I'm hoping for some PHOTOS!!!!

These threads that have an interesting story, but no photos, always leave too much up to the imagination.

6 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

For what?

On the basis that a stitch in time feels fine perhaps. 

My wife had some “tearing” during labor with our first.  After delivery another doctor came in and stitched her up down there and made a joke that it’ll be like before after he’s done.  

Im guessing he was referring to a stitch in time feels fine...

4 hours ago, smudge said:

This one extra stitch conversation is pretty sassy from the little blue pill crowd. Just sayin'.... <_<

Nominated.

And to be clear, you are replying to a @jsharr thread so your generalization might not be appreciated by all of the OWM here.