What Former Pros Ride?

ChrisL

Watching Christian VdV pre ride today’s stage on a Scott with Shimano Hydro set up.  As he was a long time Trek & Cannondale guy due to team sponsorships it was odd to see him on a Scott.

Anyone ever see any reports on former pros and what they choose to ride now that they aren’t beholden to bike sponsors?

23 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Watching Christian VdV pre ride today’s stage on a Scott with Shimano Hydro set up.  As he was a long time Trek & Cannondale guy due to team sponsorships it was odd to see him on a Scott.

Anyone ever see any reports on former pros and what they choose to ride now that they aren’t beholden to bike sponsors? 

You don't think that Scott was also a promotional bike?  I thought it was likely.  I can't see them (or any other brand) not giving him a bike or two if he called and said he was going to feature it everyday on the TdF (or at least every hilly/mountainous day).

Wasn't LA's garage packed with Specialized bikes in his tour of his Aspen home?

And we know Phil Gaimon dropped his Cannondale in favor of his Nove bike sponsorship.

What does Bob Roll ride? Or Chris Horner for that matter?   I'm thinking that the "active" retired pros - ie still in the bike industry, just not racing - still get some or all of the stuff for free or at huge discounts.  Since I rarely encounter a real retired pro cyclist, I can't even guess what they would ride, but I have to think that the ones lower on the payroll list (while riding) aren't springing for new uber bikes at $10k+ a pop very often.

LA's S-Works MTB:

image.thumb.png.70bb5361935cd73545e2aecfdd606f65.png

• Heart 2

When Lance rode with my group on the memorial ride 3 years ago he borrowed a bike from one of the group members.  I don't remember what it was but I remember thinking that it was strange that one of the local shops didn't offer to provide him a bike from their shop.  It was known for several days that he was planning to ride with us.

• Heart 1

57 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You don't think that Scott was also a promotional bike?  I thought it was likely.  I can't see them (or any other brand) not giving him a bike or two if he called and said he was going to feature it everyday on the TdF (or at least every hilly/mountainous day).

Wasn't LA's garage packed with Specialized bikes in his tour of his Aspen home?

And we know Phil Gaimon dropped his Cannondale in favor of his Nove bike sponsorship.

What does Bob Roll ride? Or Chris Horner for that matter?   I'm thinking that the "active" retired pros - ie still in the bike industry, just not racing - still get some or all of the stuff for free or at huge discounts.  Since I rarely encounter a real retired pro cyclist, I can't even guess what they would ride, but I have to think that the ones lower on the payroll list (while riding) aren't springing for new uber bikes at $10k+ a pop very often.

LA's S-Works MTB:

image.thumb.png.70bb5361935cd73545e2aecfdd606f65.png

Yeah VdV could be paid to ride that bike.   Phil was riding a Cannondale before Nove sponsored him.  That’s right, forgot about LA’s Specializeds.

I heard Ulrich is riding a lot of fondos, I wonder what he rides.  What about Levi?

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah VdV could be paid to ride that bike.   Phil was riding a Cannondale before Nove sponsored him.  That’s right, forgot about LA’s Specializeds.

I heard Ulrich is riding a lot of fondos, I wonder what he rides.  What about Levi? 

I'm guessing for Levi, it is also Specialized (with Shimano)

image.thumb.png.31cb755d60e180b1287867f13640f3cf.png

• Heart 1

I think all of our responses point to the question of "what bikes do former pro cyclists buy with their own money?" as the one needing some clarification.  I'd say almost any pro will ride the bike they are paid to ride or given for free with some conditions.  I always like the pro bike builds that use non-sponsored parts in lieu of the "official" ones because either the sponsored ones suck or the unofficial ones are simply much better.   You see it still with tires in some of the classic races, since most pro teams have a tire sponsor, but the "art" of making a great tire for the cobblestones or such is not known by all tire manufacturers.