Seattle Viaduct getting destroyed

Dottleshead

There's been talk of a park but you know as well as I do -- those greedy bastards are going to want to make condos of some parts of it.  Front row to Elliot Bay.  Who wouldn't?  They could make a mint off it.  But I do know some of it is going for a waterfront park.  I like that idea because we only have spotty parks in the city as is.  I'm sure the homeless will like it to unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

I was just reading about Highway Revolts in Wikipedia today. Here's Washington State and Seattle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_revolts_in_the_United_States#Washington_state

Oh yeah.  For the 'liberal' city as it is painted out to be -- most of our city is white central -- and nobody likes to pay for anything.  They all want to be left alone.  The fact that a major city could continue to shoot down transportation packages over the last several decades when they are in dire need is an embarrassment, really.  Now King County is paying through the nose for light rail and a tunnel -- which has replaced the viaduct.  Personally, there is no way in hell I'd live in Seattle proper.  I won't even live in King County either.... though it'd make my commute a hecka lot easier.

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

Interesting to see the removal process.  It was quite the local attraction when they were deconstructing the old Tappan Zee bridge around here.

The Tappan Zee is gone?????.  Damn I used to cross that bridge a lot back in the day between CT and VA.  I haven't been there since 1973.  Times change.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, wilbur said:

The Viaduct was an eyesore anyways dottie.  Seattle had an ugly waterfront.  I predict this will add greatly to the city. 

I sure hope so.  They had to replace the waterfront wall as it reached it's end of life.  I really hope they put a park in there because -- as you mentioned --- it was an eye sore. And yet that's where most of it's tourism dollars lie.

...I would rather be beaten with softball bats than move to Seattle.  At least here I can grow my own oranges. Seattle has rain (when it's not in a drought and breathing smoke from the forest fires north of it), a tonne of traffic problems, Microsoft, the Seahawks, rain, and Microsoft.

Did I mention Microsoft ? If I lived within driving distance of those motherfuckers, every time something else went wrong with Windows 10 I'd be down there with a gun asking for answers.  That's just not gonna be good for anyone involved.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I would rather be beaten with softball bats than move to Seattle.  At least here I can grow my own oranges. Seattle has rain (when it's not in a drought and breathing smoke from the forest fires north of it), a tonne of traffic problems, Microsoft, the Seahawks, rain, and Microsoft.

Did I mention Microsoft ? If I lived within driving distance of those motherfuckers, every time something else went wrong with Windows 10 I'd be down there with a gun asking for answers.  That's just not gonna be good for anyone involved. 

Aren't hippies supposed to have Macs or Linux?  Only nerdy dweebs in soots use Microsloth!

(At least that's the way it was a decade or two ago when those commercials were on.)

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The Tappan Zee is gone?????.  Damn I used to cross that bridge a lot back in the day between CT and VA.  I haven't been there since 1973.  Times change.

Yup, replaced by the new Mario Cuomo Bridge (so named by his son), although most locals still refer to it as the new Tappan Zee.

https://patch.com/new-york/nyack/last-span-tappan-zee-bridge-dismantled-video

• Heart 1

Vancouver has a pretty waterfront....because there is no major expressway running alongside.  There is talk of demolishing the Dunsmuir Viaduct ..don't know where that is at.

Eastern section of Gardiner Expressway by Toronto's waterfront was demolished over 15 yrs. ago.  My partner was involved in advocating its teardown.  It was falling apart. It is part of Toronto's waterfront bike route. He worked with the former federal NDP Jack Layton....who was at the time a local politician before he became national opposition political leader.  (This piece of info. is for Canadian forumites.)

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

You forgot about all those Boeing fockers

12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

You seem a wee bit too attached to your computer.

What exactly about Win10 is giving you headaches? I gotta say, I have zero complaints, and see nothing remotely close to the rage in your post!  Any examples you might want to share?