Seattle Viaduct getting destroyed

Dottleshead

Just now, Dottie said:

Well he compliments jsharr nicely. You have to have a Norton in a comedy routine. 

He is a kiss azz, so of course he compliments jsharr!  But he is a good complement to jsharr as well.  Sort of a yin (cool & suave) yang (odd & awkward) sort of thing.

• Hugs 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

You seem a wee bit too attached to your computer.

What exactly about Win10 is giving you headaches? I gotta say, I have zero complaints, and see nothing remotely close to the rage in your post!  Any examples you might want to share?

...that whole integrating the Bing browser into the OS so it's always running in the background with no way to disable it is bogus. And there's some kind of recurring glitch that pops up in sound that renders the new machine more or less useless for quality sound reproduction. Still working on that one.

You can go and occupy the same circle of hell as the guys who devised this memory pig. None of you have a feel for elegant solutions.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...that whole integrating the Bing browser into the OS so it's always running in the background with no way to disable it is bogus. And there's some kind of recurring glitch that pops up in sound that renders the new machine more or less useless for quality sound reproduction. Still working on that one.

You can go and occupy the same circle of hell as the guys who devised this memory pig. None of you have a feel for elegant solutions.

For the record -- as a Greater Seattlelite -- both Microsoft and Starbucks blow. Boeing is OK and Amazon sadly offers a good service even though they are the Devil.

32 minutes ago, Dottie said:
37 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

For the record -- as a Greater Seattlelite -- both Microsoft and Starbucks blow. Boeing is OK and Amazon sadly offers a good service even though they are the Devil.

For the record, Page can go write his own OS. Or stick with the many others available.  I'm never sure what the hang-up folks have with MS, since they have so many other options. It's like buying and driving a Ford F150 when you hate Ford F150s.  WTF?? But the Chevy or the Ram or the Tundra.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

For the record, Page can go write his own OS. Or stick with the many others available.  I'm never sure what the hang-up folks have with MS, since they have so many other options. It's like buying and driving a Ford F150 when you hate Ford F150s.  WTF?? But the Chevy or the Ram or the Tundra.

I just like bashing the hometown bullies. I really don't like Starbucks coffee but I would not NOT order from there. Same with Mickeysoft. I would fly Boeing and Amazon is pure evil but I cut a deal with the devil long ago.

24 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I just like bashing the hometown bullies. I really don't like Starbucks coffee but I would not NOT order from there. Same with Mickeysoft. I would fly Boeing and Amazon is pure evil but I cut a deal with the devil long ago.

Boeings bully tactics just cost them their spot as the top aircraft producer in the world.  Too bad they shot their own foot. 

12 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Boeings bully tactics just cost them their spot as the top aircraft producer in the world.  Too bad they shot their own foot. 

I saw that.  No doubt they are scrambling a bit but they're not going away anytime soon.  Also, they will tell you it's in great part because of the subsidies Airbus gets.  But I'm not here to argue that.  I worked for them and I thought they treated their employees well.  I would never work for Amazon because they treat their employees like shit and it's nothing but a sweat shop.  I don't care if they pay them well -- and that company hasn't done a damn thing for the community. I've worked at Microsoft and I hear they've gotten much better since I worked there and the Steve Balmer cannibalistic culture ended (they would rank employees and fire the bottom 10% annually).  Meh.  Another day in the business world.  If I were smart (or really dumb), I should sell my house, wait another 10 years when Airbus drives them into the ground, the economy tanks, and I scoop up brilliant properties dirt cheap  -- so I can then die.  

I've got this all figured out.  <tongue in cheek>

45 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...for the record, you can keep on trying to justify a poorly designed and unbelievably glitchy product by making car comparisons.  It won't change the reality one little bit.  Windows 7 was a relatively functional product, and the old machine I still have that uses it works fine.  It's just going to go unsupported soon, and that will eventually lead to issues.

5 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I saw that.  No doubt they are scrambling a bit but they're not going away anytime soon.  Also, they will tell you it's in great part because of the subsidies Airbus gets.  But I'm not here to argue that.  I worked for them and I thought they treated their employees well.  I would never work for Amazon because they treat their employees like shit and it's nothing but a sweat shop.  I don't care if they pay them well -- and that company hasn't done a damn thing for the community. I've worked at Microsoft and I hear they've gotten much better since I worked there and the Steve Balmer cannibalistic culture ended (they would rank employees and fire the bottom 10% annually).  Meh.  Another day in the business world.  If I were smart (or really dumb), I should sell my house, wait another 10 years when Airbus drives them into the ground, the economy tanks, and I scoop up brilliant properties dirt cheap  -- so I can then die.  

I've got this all figured out.  <tongue in cheek>

You do know that Boeing has received billions in subsidies as well, right?  This is why your own courts ruled unanimously against Boeing in the Bombardier C-Series lawsuit. 

45 minutes ago, wilbur said:

You do know that Boeing has received billions in subsidies as well, right?  This is why your own courts ruled unanimously against Boeing in the Bombardier C-Series lawsuit. 

I do.  I'm not a Boeing lackey and I'm not here to defend them.  They certainly are a huge economic force in the greater Seattle area -- so mom and pop shops like Amazon and Microsoft certainly aren't large enough to compensate for a loss of jobs in this region.  What I am saying is I think they treat their employees fairly (or at least did when I was there).  I know you are not to keen on them and I certainly have not been following them as closely as you.  I'm just here to say that I'm ok if you rip them a new underside.  I don't work for them directly and I can only hope they learn from their mistakes -- as much of my community is still dependent upon them -- even if they are not recognized as the exciting employer anymore.  The tech companies robbed them of that.  There are so many supply companies that feed into them in this area, they really are the economic driving force here.  I do think we could survive without them but the Seattle landscape would look different.

20 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I do.  I'm not a Boeing lackey and I'm not here to defend them.  They certainly are a huge economic force in the greater Seattle area -- so mom and pop shops like Amazon and Microsoft certainly aren't large enough to compensate for a loss of jobs in this region.  What I am saying is I think they treat their employees fairly (or at least did when I was there).  I know you are not to keen on them and I certainly have not been following them as closely as you.  I'm just here to say that I'm ok if you rip them a new underside.  I don't work for them directly and I can only hope they learn from their mistakes -- as much of my community is still dependent upon them -- even if they are not recognized as they exciting employer anymore.  The tech companies robbed them of that.  There are so many supply companies that feed into them in this area, they really are the economic driving force here.  I do think we could survive without them but the Seattle landscape would look different.

They would have to put up that famous billboard again.  I remember seeing that as a kid.  My first exposure to what an economy is. :)   I always loved Boeing.  Hated the move of corporate to Chicago.  Their business tactics changed from solid business leader to the shady side about then.  I have flown both Boeing and Airbus and really appreciate the technologies used by both.   I am not a Boeing basher, I am just disappointed in their attack on Bombardier.  Airbus is selling the pants off it at the moment as the A220 but unfortunately, the jobs that should have stayed in Canada headed south.  That was dirty. A gift horse for Airbus though and a victory for Trump.  They got a top seller with no development cost and no capital outlay. Probably also why the 737max was rushed to market. 

On 7/12/2019 at 12:53 PM, Dottie said:

Steve Balmer cannibalistic culture ended (they would rank employees and fire the bottom 10% annually).  Meh. 

So you are one of those left coast hipsters that think corporate 'merica should subsidize poor performance.  He learned that from Jack.

Why would anyone in the bottom 10% feel they deserve a job when the company has a 9 in 10 chance of bettering themselves with any replacement hired.

5 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

So you are one of those left coast hipsters that think corporate 'merica should subsidize poor performance.  He learned that from Jack.

Why would anyone in the bottom 10% feel they deserve a job when the company has a 9 in 10 chance of bettering themselves with any replacement hired.

He only worked there a year, so go easy on him!

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

He only worked there a year, so go easy on him!

3 contract jobs out there. You MSFT lovers get yourself a job in Redmond and knock yourself out. Golden days are over and zero work life balance. East coast non-techies who live in Dreamland can go kiss their ass for all I care. They're looking for clowns to exploit. 

Just now, Longjohn said:

They used explosives insid the forge shop while we were working. It’s amazing what a good demolition crew can do with explosives.

I don't /* think */ that would go over very well here. The above photos outside our cafeteria window are probably the least congested area in the city along the viaduct. Beyond that and you are in the heaviest tourist area in our city. I'm guessing they don't want noise and debris and the millions of folks bitchin'. There are a lot of homes along that stretch too.

• Heart 1

Those guys in the green backhoes or whatever are amazing at what they do.  I mean, I'm looking down from the cafeteria window and they actually can use those 20 ft scoops to pull out fine rebar from the rubble.  Meanwhile not missing a beat as scores of dump trucks take their turns waiting to back up and get filled with their scopes.  Even when done loading the bed, they efficiently spread out the rubble to correctly disperse the wait in the truck.  As soon  as it is gone, they are continually drawing the sediment back up onto the pile their craft rests on and often use a concrete pillar to scrape the rubble from the underlying pavement.  I think this is going on 24/7.  

Ferma Corp, your site demolition is most impressive.  Thank you for putting on a once in a lifetime show.

Image result for ferma corporation