Ready to getter wet

KrAzY

Interesting looking kayak. What brand is it? I’m only familiar with the inexpensive box store kayaks. I briefly looked at quality kayaks online, but when I saw the prices I decided I could catch fish, get exercise, and sunshine just fine with a cheapo kayak. If someone were to gift me with a fancy kayak I wouldn’t complain but I’m happy with the three kayaks I have.

22 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Why not a canoe?

You can tippa a canoe

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Interesting looking kayak. What brand is it? I’m only familiar with the inexpensive box store kayaks. I briefly looked at quality kayaks online, but when I saw the prices I decided I could catch fish, get exercise, and sunshine just fine with a cheapo kayak. If someone were to gift me with a fancy kayak I wouldn’t complain but I’m happy with the three kayaks I have.

It's a lifetime Teton Angler. Designed for fishing.. ran us about 320 including the paddle because dicks was having a 20%off sale. It has a beach chair seat.. it's damn cumfy!

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

You can tippa a canoe

It's a lifetime Teton Angler. Designed for fishing.. ran us about 320 including the paddle because dicks was having a 20%off sale. It has a beach chair seat.. it's damn cumfy!

I never noticed those in Dicks. This year most of the fishing kayaks seem to have the beach chair type seat. My twelve foot fishing kayak has a seat mounted so close to the floor if your getting any water splashing into the kayak you are going to be sitting in it. My ten foot kayaks have a higher seat.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I never noticed those in Dicks. This year most of the fishing kayaks seem to have the beach chair type seat. My twelve foot fishing kayak has a seat mounted so close to the floor if your getting any water splashing into the kayak you are going to be sitting in it. My ten foot kayaks have a higher seat.

They have higher nicer seats now for line of sight. Here is the seat that came with mine.

I'm cool getting wet, but don't want to be sitting in it for a few hours.

IMG_20190711_185346408.jpg

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

And yours has handles for lifting. Nice touch.

I believe it weighs in at 35lbs. Fully loaded without me in it it should be about 42 LB with all the gear. I added an anchor cleat right by the seat. In the last thing I need to add is a cup holder..lol

8 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The lowness of the seat in kayaks always feels so uncomfortable to me.  Fun to tool around in for a few minutes, but I’d want a canoe every time.  A canoe is the beach cruiser of the rowing vessel world. 

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The lowness of the seat in kayaks always feels so uncomfortable to me.  Fun to tool around in for a few minutes, but I’d want a canoe every time.  A canoe is the beach cruiser of the rowing vessel world. 

The low seat is for center of gravity. You wouldn’t want to try white water with the high mounted seat. My kayaks are not designed for white water but they know people are going to try it anyway.

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

There is a place in Dallas called mariner that specializes in fishing kayaks. They have all kinds of cool mounts for tods, tackle boxes depth finders everything. Take your check book and go visit them. I might even go with you.

https://www.mariner-sails.com/

A depth finder is my next buy.. besides a J rack for the car. For now it's fold down the back seats and slider in. 

I just want a depth finder to see how deep it is.. don't care about seeing if there is fish there. 

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Why do you care how deep it is? You are floating on the top six inches anyway..:dontknow:

Just want to know what size spoonbill I can throw without getting it snagged. I have some spoonbill crank bait  that will dive upto 10-15 feet deep.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

?

When canoeing by yourself if you carry an empty five gallon plastic bucket up front in the canoe, when the wind picks up and tries to blow the front of the canoe around, you just dip a bucket full of water and the weight of the water holds the front of the canoe down so it doesn’t catch the wind. This works much better than having to paddle to shore and look for a large rock to hold the front down.

People new to canoeing have been known to get caught in a headwind or crosswind and after unsuccessfully battling the wind given up and had to find a place downwind where they could get someone to take them back to their vehicle. 

These are the people who can give you a great deal on an almost new canoe.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Longjohn said:

When canoeing by yourself if you carry an empty five gallon plastic bucket up front in the canoe, when the wind picks up and tries to blow the front of the canoe around, you just dip a bucket full of water and the weight of the water holds the front of the canoe down so it doesn’t catch the wind. This works much better than having to paddle to shore and look for a large rock to hold the front down.

People new to canoeing have been known to get caught in a headwind or crosswind and after unsuccessfully battling the wind given up and had to find a place downwind where they could get someone to take them back to their vehicle. 

These are the people who can give you a great deal on an almost new canoe.

Wow, good stuff.  I never thought of that.  I was in the lake the other day with my canoe and the wind pushed me everywhere.  Maybe I just need a bigger cooler of beer up there?

42 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Wow, good stuff.  I never thought of that.  I was in the lake the other day with my canoe and the wind pushed me everywhere.  Maybe I just need a bigger cooler of beer up there?

That would work but as you drink the beer the cooler gets lighter. 

My wife used to go with me and said she felt bad because she wasn’t helping paddle. I told her you are helping, you are ballast.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

You will if you ever have engine trouble and have to paddle to shore.

If I have to paddle to shore, I'm in trouble regardless of wind and I am no condition to swim a boat across a lake anymore, and yes me and a couple friends have done that one before (they were swimmers too)

• Haha 1

Welp.. first trip out was not too bad.. got used to the kayak and caught a few fish. (Two catfish and a white bass)

I released all three due to not enough meat on the bass, and I don't like catfish as a food group. 

It's about time to pick up a new rod I think.. the 8 lb catfish broke the top eyelet off during it's fight.. it also dragged me about 30 feet across the small inlet.. damn thing had spunk.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1