Upgrade to W 10

donkpow

So somebody gave me this computer. It is what I would call a light duty PC with SSD and limited RAM. It was running W 8.1 so I decided to upgrade to Windows 10. Looking around, I found it relatively inexpensive to upgrade. In fact, you can still upgrade for free. And I did. ? ? ?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

My youngest son has been working at the office. We had a 5 year old gateway that was not being used. He brought it home reset it to factory and then upgraded 8.1 to 10 by himself. I was proud of him.

As you should be. ?

• Awesome 1

25 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

My laptop upgraded to W10 on it’s own. I just had to get out of the way for a while.

It seems W10 is most suited to laptops. I have a W7 workstation and I can't seem to lean to upgrade it even though several of the programs would be better served with W10.

9 hours ago, Further said:

I upgraded my ancient HP by buying a new puter,

no issues....

I upgraded my ancient laptop slooowwwllly running XP by buying a Win 8 laptop. Returned it to Best Buy and got a MacBook Pro.

no issues 6 years later.… but Win 10 has caught up and the issue will be when time to replace. I've built/upgraded 3 PC's to Win 10 in those 6 years and they were fresh installs on a new SSD rather than the free upgrade from Win 7 that two of the PC's would have qualified for.

...my impressions of W 10 from the three or four weeks I've been using it on a dell PC (with a new 26" monitor  that is bigger than the TV we had when I was a little kid) are less than favorable.  I can get it to work, but there are a lot of glitches that ought to have been fixed, if not before the initial release, at least by now.  The most vexing one currently is how it distorts sound reproduction into the treble range and how many "fixes" for the issue on the internet don't really seem to work.

My other complaint is how the OS is designed with their own preferred browser as an integral part of it.  So even though I use Chrome, Microsoft's preferred Bing browser ( or whatever it is) is constantly running in the background, using processing power.   You can't disable it without fucking with the OS, you can't turn it off, and you can't even uninstall it. The whole thing just comes off as an inelegant design in the great Windows tradition.  But if you are going for brute memory and speed at the cheapest price, it's probably what most people will buy at Costco.

• Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

So even though I use Chrome, Microsoft's preferred Bing browser ( or whatever it is) is constantly running in the background, using processing power.

This screen shot of the task manager window shows that the process is suspended to improve performance.

1898739498_Annotation2019-07-12172339.jpg.cecd48e97d1751252684bd31ae68487b.jpg

37 minutes ago, donkpow said:

This screen shot of the task manager window shows that the process is suspended to improve performance.

1898739498_Annotation2019-07-12172339.jpg.cecd48e97d1751252684bd31ae68487b.jpg

...I tried looking at the running systems, and whatever the reason, whenever I go to use CCleaner, there's always something running in the background when I go to clean the crap off and check the registry that I presume is Edge.  I have to force it to close.

12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I tried looking at the running systems, and whatever the reason, whenever I go to use CCleaner, there's always something running in the background when I go to clean the crap off and check the registry that I presume is Edge.  I have to force it to close.

I haven't run CCleaner, yet. I did explore Windows settings and tried to disable some things I know I don't need.

On 7/12/2019 at 5:08 PM, Page Turner said:

The most vexing one currently is how it distorts sound reproduction into the treble range and how many "fixes" for the issue on the internet don't really seem to work.

I've used Equalizer APO and Peace GUI for ages on the Windows 7 machine. I'm currently installing and setting parameters on the W10 machine. Try it and see if you can get satisfaction on playback. 

• Awesome 1