I'm not very good at this retirement thing

BR46

52 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Thank you. 

Your welcome 

My buddy Joe was already talking about all this other work like grass cutting and snow removal. I'm  going to have to remind him that I'm retired and this job is only temporary.

• Heart 1

When I retired I felt guilty for years........something about not working while others were I imagine. In no time at all though I found that every minute was filled and I was continually busy. Becoming involved with working with charities helped a lot and gave one a feeling of contributing which was comforting.

• Heart 2

I used the part time job at the hobbyshop (playground) to slowly wean myself away from the concept of going to work every day and to assist my mind in grasping the concept of retiring.

You may laugh, but it's common for folks to retire and die.  It takes effort to learn how to retire with grace.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I used the part time job at the hobbyshop (playground) to slowly wean myself away from the concept of going to work every day and to assist my mind in grasping the concept of retiring.

You may laugh, but it's common for folks to retire and die.  It takes effort to learn how to retire with grace.

This is true...had a coworker retire at about 70..went from active to sitting around the house...had a mild heart attack about 6 months later. Started a cardio rehab program and went on to regular workouts and walking...and he is still going strong about 8 years later...doing nothing will kill ya.

7 hours ago, BR46 said:

Your welcome 

My buddy Joe was already talking about all this other work like grass cutting and snow removal. I'm  going to have to remind him that I'm retired and this job is only temporary.

Stagger the schedule with him. You do snow removal May-October, he does it November-April. You do grass cutting Nov-April, and he does the May-Oct shift. Fair’s fair, and shared work gets done twice as fast.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Yea, you suck at retiring.  I hope I am better at it than you. 

You will be surprised at how many part time and volunteer jobs you will be asked to do. 

With unemployment rate under 2% in this area every place is looking for employees. The first week of retirement I had 3 job offers. 

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, BR46 said:

You will be surprised at how many part time and volunteer jobs you will be asked to do. 

With unemployment rate under 2% in this area every place is looking for employees. The first week of retirement I had 3 job offers. 

Whatever you do, go part-time and keep away from strenuous manual labour.  Instead go on the bike... :) 

• Heart 1

52 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Whatever you do, go part-time and keep away from strenuous manual labour.  Instead go on the bike... 

I'm a old farm kid manual labor is all I ever done. 

21 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I'm a old farm kid manual labor is all I ever done. 

I heard via grapevine, a guy from work who retired early who has drawing drafting experience with GIS software is running between his property in Montana where it's been his for past 15 years and our city in Alberta where he has been asked to do a number of paid woodworking jobs.  

I was pleased to meet up his recently early retired work colleague who is now a part-time volunteer at our international airport to assist travellers. I was returning home from a Vancouver flight. You see them in Calgary (they wear white cowboy hats) and Vancouver International Airport (green vests).  The ex-work colleague is fully French-English bilingual which is desired in Canadian international airport...or for any other 2nd language (Cantonese-Mandarin, Spanish, German, Italian, Punjabi,,...)

Dearie has pulled away from 20+ years of volunteer cycling advocacy work and focusing harder on his son's business on the accounting side.  He just finished ….after over 2 months of working with software and testing on the new add online store product ordering system. This is on top of the daily book-keeping online.  Of course, he does it for free for son, with a proviso he has 1/4 share of initial invested money in the business.  

BR you might be surprised....for a totally different line of work.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Even better, 1 of you do some paid dog walking.  

I'm on the fence about paid dog walkers.  I know some folks a bit more than a quarter mile up the road who weren't home for a couple of days.  I meet them a lot when they are walking their dog and their dog pooping habits are what make them good neighbors.  So yesterday when I'm on a walkabout I see a stranger walking their dog.  As I arrive at my house he's standing about 10 feet onto my lawn from the sidewalk, whistling and waiting for the dog to poop.  I asked him straight out if he was going to take the shit with him when they were done.  He looked at me with a bemused expression so I told him to get the fuch off my lawn.  He left, but he didn't seem happy.  Asshole.

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm on the fence about paid dog walkers.  I know some folks a bit more than a quarter mile up the road who weren't home for a couple of days.  I meet them a lot when they are walking their dog and their dog pooping habits are what make them good neighbors.  So yesterday when I'm on a walkabout I see a stranger walking their dog.  As I arrive at my house he's standing about 10 feet onto my lawn from the sidewalk, whistling and waiting for the dog to poop.  I asked him straight out if he was going to take the shit with him when they were done.  He looked at me with a bemused expression so I told him to get the fuch off my lawn.  He left, but he didn't seem happy.  Asshole.

It's doubtful all paid dog walkers are like that.  In the big cities, a lot of dog owners and walkers are pretty conscientious....I live in an area where people are walking their dogs often. We are very close to a major park area with lengthy MUPs ...meaning MUPs that go on for 25+ km. one way...

Yesterday someone told me of a new condo development that will have a rooftop dog park.  My comment was:  would other condo owners even want to pay to rehabilitate the grass??

In Vancouver, I've walked out of the condo building where on the elevator was a dog walker with 3 dogs on leashes.  You do see this occasionally...

As soon as I took early retirement I did three years of heavy manual work refurbishing my house in France, then four years of full-time teaching to stop me being bored, followed by starting a Bike charity where I did six years running the workshop, had a wee stroke there but carried on until my first heart attack which ended my time there. During this time I chaired a charity working with parents and young children and ran parenting workshops.

Never did learn the knack of doing nothing but different now of course.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am on your program!  I think I can handle doing nothing. :)

It's hard laying around in your bathrobe watching the View. After about 10 minutes you will want a drink or punch some random stranger in the face. 

14 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think he means Monday. If not, I think that’s the meaningful point. Where were you on Monday?

Slacking in the ER -- listening to the number of ambulances and aid cars coming in -- and the egregious amount of stroke victims.  Egad.  That was a total wake up call.

My Dad, a sign painter, retired in the 80's and painted lettering on commercial trucks, taxis, etc. on occasion afterward.

A friend who worked for Hess Oil asked him to paint the lettering on 6 Hess Oil trucks and Dad did it in an afternoon.

He submitted a bill for $75/truck, having used about $5 worth of paint on each one.

When he got the the check it was for $1050, which was $175/truck. That's about $2500, a profit of about $400/truck, in 2019 dollars. He called his friend who said, "I added the "1" in front of the "75" because they'd think you weren't professional if you only charged $75.

Throughout the 80's and until he passed away in 1992, he did at least 1 dozen Hess trucks each year. I think he was getting $250/truck at the end. It was a nice supplement to his Social Security and 30% Veteran's Disability Pension (he lost the middle, ring, and pinky fingers of his left hand in WW2).