Credit card fraud

Dirtyhip

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

Someone charged $1200 in childcare on our credit card.

Childcare costs $1200? That is shocking.   

I love how they immediately deal with nonsense like this. 

Interesting to think that whoever did it is OBVIOUSLY the person who did it.  It's not like buying something at a store where they have no way to tie you to the theft (except a video???).  Jeebus.

The sad thing is that the person who did this likely will not be busted. Or, not in a way one would think.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

And a shame they didn't use your debit card :D

A debit card has far fewer protections than a credit card which is usually limited to a max of $50 and rarely exceeds $0.  Your debit card usually has no one watching it but you.  When you report a problem your money may be held up till they resolve the issue.  In the meantime, it's your money that's held up, not the banks money that you probably don't have to pay back.  Additionally, most of the time, no one is going after the thief.  It's just not profitable.  When someone started buying phones on my credit card, I had the address they were being shipped to but the card company simply didn't care.  They just took the money away from the seller and left him on the hook to try to recover.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And a shame they didn't use your debit card :D

I don't use that for purchases, usually.  That comes right out of our checking account.  EEK!

Heard stories of people's account being drained.  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

Although, we don't keep too much in the checking.  That is just dumb.

• Awesome 1

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

A debit card has far fewer protections than a credit card which is usually limited to a max of $50 and rarely exceeds $0.  Your debit card usually has no one watching it but you.  When you report a problem your money may be held up till they resolve the issue.  In the meantime, it's your money that's held up, not the banks money that you probably don't have to pay back.  Additionally, most of the time, no one is going after the thief.  It's just not profitable.  When someone started buying phones on my credit card, I had the address they were being shipped to but the card company simply didn't care.  They just took the money away from the seller and left him on the hook to try to recover.

I could be wrong but Noob was being facetious.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

15 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Yeah I think he and DH have a history of teasing? Not sure though. That noob @Razors Edge got some 'splaining to do.  

Nah. Maxx just has issues sorting things out that don't fit inside his small little box.  @Dirtyhip is the opposite. She is wise and knows how to roll with things.

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

You're gonna flip when the next bill has someone's Ford F150 truck payment!  Once the number's out, boy does it get around :)

BTW, are they sending you a new card?

Yeah, we already reported it.  Now we have to fix a coupe auto pays.  What a pain.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Yeah, we already reported it.  Now we have to fix a coupe auto pays.  What a pain.

I find with those things, they will allow the old CC number to work for a few months before cutting it off.  Every so often we get a new CC in the mail saying the old one was possibly compromised in some data breach.  I rarely successfully update all the autopay very quickly, but they work for a while (months). Usually, the CC statement even references the use of the older CC number.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Car lots only allow you to put 3 grand on a card for car purchases.  That will not buy much.  

We found that out years ago.  I wanted to put the whole purchase on my CC (for the miles), but they said NO WAY.  That processing fee eats into their margins.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

I find with those things, they will allow the old CC number to work for a few months before cutting it off.  Every so often we get a new CC in the mail saying the old one was possibly compromised in some data breach.  I rarely successfully update all the autopay very quickly, but they work for a while (months). Usually, the CC statement even references the use of the older CC number.

It is our phones.  I don't want to be out traveling and have no phone.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

We found that out years ago.  I wanted to put the whole purchase on my CC (for the miles), but they said NO WAY.  That processing fee eats into their margins.

6 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I have bought 2 new cars on credit card.

I'm having trouble sorting this out and putting it in a small box.  Maybe it's the posters who make up my surroundings.

Just now, 12string said:

kind of sad that someone is so desperate they need to steal a CC to pay their child care.  That means they\ have a job but still can't pay their bills for whatever reason.

Just now, 12string said:

kind of sad that someone is so desperate they need to steal a CC to pay their child care.  That means they\ have a job but still can't pay their bills for whatever reason.

Correct.  Unless they have a scam going.  I looked up the place, and it seems to be a reputable child care facility.  The reviews are excellent.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Or it means that they are paying a fake bill to a cut out and sharing the cash.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Someone charged $1200 in childcare on our credit card.

Childcare costs $1200? That is shocking.  

Don't be shocked about childcare costs, though $1200 for 1 child would probably be for a month.  For many people, they can't go off welfare because they won't make enough money to pay for childcare. Some states Medicaid, etc. has coverage for such childcare to get people back to work, but some don't.

I remember one discussion where someone was complaining about education costs/pupil and it was compared with daycare costs and school turned out to be a bargain by comparison.

In any case, I assume you got the charge canceled against you and your card # changed - as I did in 2017.

In my case, someone charged something like $1.12 on Aug. 12 to HULU with my credit card #.  I was in Fort Lauderdale FL the day before a cruise on that day and assumed I bought a soft drink, etc. from a place with that name.  When another charge for something like $3.12 appeared on Sep. 12, I checked and it was the online movie HULU.  The card spokesperson told me people try small amounts like that to see if you're paying attention.  But I called HULU and they told me my name wasn't even used with the card. I asked how it was charged then. The person on the phone said those things go thru with minimal info - just the card number!!!

My guess is someone got one of the digits wrong, but I went through the change-the-card-number process to make sure.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

How long ago was this?

They said no to me.  The fees are cost prohibitive.  

Last car I bought was about 4 years ago. For it to make sense you have to have a really good rate and target paying it off in 1 to 1.5 years... which we were able to do. Came out ahead and didn't have to deal with those wretched car dealership finance shiesters.

24 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Not if you know what you are doing. But I am in a very good credit position to be making these moves.

Only works if the dealer will accept it.  Doesn't matter what my score is.  If a shop won't take credit, then you are done.

I would only use the card to work the rewards.  Credit sucks.  Paying interest sucks.

• Heart 1

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Context is important.

I would agree -- as it is in most things.  Specifically, what context are you referring to? The only thing I was referring to originally was the online relationship between RE and DH that had escaped you. But it's hard to keep track of it all -- so no biggie.  I certainly can't. 

The only thing I'm talking about now is purchasing a new car with a credit card.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I would only use the card to work the rewards.  Credit sucks.  Paying interest sucks.

The rate on my credit card was far lower than the rate I could have gotten through them or my bank.  In fact, it was my financial institution that informed me I'd be way better off using my credit card than any other means. And I was motivated to pay it off in a year.  I probably saved thousands.

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

I've gotten calls from BoA when a shady transaction was made...but they've always been made by me :D In all seriousness, the bank does watch non-normal spending albeit an item or location.

14 minutes ago, Dottie said:

I would agree -- as it is in most things.  Specifically, what context are you referring to? The only thing I was referring to originally was the online relationship between RE and DH that had escaped you. But it's hard to keep track of it all -- so no biggie.  I certainly can't. 

The only thing I'm talking about now is purchasing a new car with a credit card.

Do I have to multi quote your own posts?

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

I've gotten calls from BoA when a shady transaction was made...but they've always been made by me :D In all seriousness, the bank does watch non-normal spending albeit an item or location.

I watch our finances.  It is easy to catch a strange amount.