For sale: Lightly used 2001 GMC Sierra

Dirtyhip

11 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

There are some advantages to buying new after all, especially if you keep your vehicle long enough to not care that much about the depreciation.  You may get a bit of a surprise though at the cost of your auto insurance.

I already called.  It isn't too bad.  Not too concerned about this. 

• Heart 1

28 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We had gone back to the Dodge place yesterday to look at a used GMC for 25K.  After we looked at it, I was not really thrilled with some of the features.  Like, buying a new vehicle, I was looking forward to a back up camera.  Not being a great driver, I hate backing up.  This feature makes me really, really happy about parking.  So, we didn't buy that one.  We looked at a few more on the lot and I just wasn't feeling it.  

So we went home dejected and went back to the internet and my husband had been talking to the GMC place over the hill (130 miles and a mountain pass).  He ended up hashing out a very good price for a new GMC.  We had a vin, and we decided to make the trek and check it out.  After all that, we get there and the car is NOT on the lot.  It is in transit.  So, now we are even more annoyed with this process.  They offer to fill out tank and if we wanted to buy that one, they could deliver it over the hill to us.  But, we hadn't even seen it.  Plus they wanted us to pay for it through GM financing and we would have no payment due for 90 days (to cover possible extended transport time).  ICK.  Nope. Nope. Nope.  We were about ready to walk away and drive back home.  They asked us if another truck would work.  We opted to look at some Silverado trucks.  We were close to getting one and it was pretty stripped.  Then, we realized that 4 Lo is not a normal feature on the lower end trucks.  REALLY?  4 lo?  WTF?  We do use it now and again in deep snow, and tricky situations.  So that was a deal breaker and a reason to move up to a truck closer to our needs.  The Silverado is a little old school with the 4x4 shifter on the floor.  Cool. 

We told them we were an all cash deal.  We hashed out a price on the Silverado.  They ended up taking about 7 grand off.  So, they sold us a brand new Chevy Sierra 4x4 HD Custom.  It's white.  cloth seats, and really cool floor mats for filthy athletes (love this feature). We bought it for $33,300 + DMV stuff.  I felt that was pretty good.  It seems that we lost about 3 grand in depreciation.  I can live with that.  It had 6 miles on it.  

So, we ended up writing a check for the truck, and I am very thankful for having sound credit.  We told them that the funds for the truck need to be transferred from another account.  No one keeps their big money in a checking account.  I told them that they had to wait to deposit check on like Wed or Thursday.  After they checked our credit, they said that would be fine.  The truck has a perfect color.  It's white. 

Again, the lot was shocked that we are original owners on a 2001.  During our closing papers, the dude asked us "How long do you plan to keep this truck?"  I said, 20 years.  :)  They got a kick out of that comment. 

I will get some pics soon.  I am getting ready for a modest dinner party tonight.

I know some of you will be shocked that we bought a new one, as that is a luxury.  I really feel that we did ok.  I think we did better this time than we did on our last truck.   My husband and I rented a GMC a bunch of years ago and took it 4 wheeling in the winter.  She whipped the shit out of that truck.  We were pulling our friends around with a tow rope, as they rode their snowboards.  Fun and wild day, but that did come to mind when we were talking about buying something with some miles on it.  

We can't tow for another 400 miles.  Looks like the next trip or so has to be in the old vehicle.  I am going to drive the truck to the grocery place today.  What a luxury.   

Very cool DH, new trucks rule!  Also, who GAF what others think or say, your money your truck.

I plan to keep my car for a while but I do miss having a truck.  I don’t tow, I don’t haul wood, yeah I’m that guy but I just always like trucks... 

• Heart 2

Normally, I would say take the finance offer even if you were intending to pay cash. Unfortunately with Chevy/GMC it doesn't really matter. They have no additional kicker tied to their finance deal. Ram has a $5000 additional rebate applied off the MSRP ($1500 on 0%) if you finance through them. Should note that is the SE Regional...but the NW Regional should have similar. Make one or two payments (so not blatantly obvious) then pay off with no penalty with the cash you were going to pay cash with anyway....but about $4750 savings over straight cash at time of purchase. The finance rebate is in addition to the rebates that would have been applied in a cash (or finance elsewhere) transaction. Ford usually structures it similarly, but I am not going to go there.

Also, don't tip your hand that you are going to pay cash, as you won't get a better deal...and may get a worse deal. Finance companies give a kicker back to the dealer for the finance deal and when you state you are going to pay cash, they know their profit will be less. So negotiate thinking they are financing, and when the numbers are finalized and when the finance officer wants your signature - then suddenly "I think I will pay cash". ?

I experienced that recently as am having new windows put in house. Was intending to pay cash but when agreed to the deal, suddenly wanted a 50% deposit for the 6 to 8 weeks to build widows and get permits and other approvals. Not wanting to had over money early despite being a reputable contractor, wouldn't have to if I financed  which also wouldn't become due until installed. While they didn't receive a rebate from the finance company for a 0% arrangement, with my excellent credit I qualified for the 1.99% where they received a $450 rebate. The contractor reduced the purchase price by $450, passing it on to me.

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

A 2019? I wonder of they are clearing the old models out for the new re-modeled 2020s?  It seems a great deal, though.

Bingo.  Old body style.  If we wanted new body style, we would not have gotten this deal.  I don't care about that trivial thing.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Tizeye said:

So negotiate thinking they are financing, and when the numbers are finalized and when the finance officer wants your signature - then suddenly "I think I will pay cash". ?

Great advice.  I don't buy many cars, but I just do my best to shop around and get what I want.  I never mention cash or finance, but will check with other dealers to beat my "deal" and give the initial one a match opportunity. 

But nowadays, there seems much more info one can use to be a bit wiser come signature time.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Bingo.  Old body style.  If we wanted new body style, we would not have gotten this deal.  I don't care about that trivial thing. 

Why would you? Up until a little while ago, thousands upon thousands of folks were fine with the current style, so it seems dopey - if keeping for years and years - to care if the body style and minor changes are the very latest.

Smart move on your part.

4 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

Normally, I would say take the finance offer even if you were intending to pay cash. Unfortunately with Chevy/GMC it doesn't really matter. They have no additional kicker tied to their finance deal. Ram has a $5000 additional rebate applied off the MSRP ($1500 on 0%) if you finance through them. Should note that is the SE Regional...but the NW Regional should have similar. Make one or two payments (so not blatantly obvious) then pay off with no penalty with the cash you were going to pay cash with anyway....but about $4750 savings over straight cash at time of purchase. The finance rebate is in addition to the rebates that would have been applied in a cash (or finance elsewhere) transaction. Ford usually structures it similarly, but I am not going to go there.

Also, don't tip your hand that you are going to pay cash, as you won't get a better deal...and may get a worse deal. Finance companies give a kicker back to the dealer for the finance deal and when you state you are going to pay cash, they know their profit will be less. So negotiate thinking they are financing, and when the numbers are finalized and when the finance officer wants your signature - then suddenly "I think I will pay cash". ?

I experienced that recently as am having new windows put in house. Was intending to pay cash but when agreed to the deal, suddenly wanted a 50% deposit for the 6 to 8 weeks to build widows and get permits and other approvals. Not wanting to had over money early despite being a reputable contractor, wouldn't have to if I financed  which also wouldn't become due until installed. While they didn't receive a rebate from the finance company for a 0% arrangement, with my excellent credit I qualified for the 1.99% where they received a $450 rebate. The contractor reduced the purchase price by $450, passing it on to me.

The question came up, and we were just honest that we can pay cash.  I didn't think lying about that made a difference.  

Interesting.

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

The question came up, and we were just honest that we can pay cash.  I didn't think lying about that made a difference.  

Interesting.

"Depending how the numbers look, we'll either buy with cash or want to finance."  Not a lie, but not giving it all away.  Or maybe, "We'll cross that bridge when we get there. We do have excellent credit, though." Also not a lie and a bit of a tease :D

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Why would you? Up until a little while ago, thousands upon thousands of folks were fine with the current style, so it seems dopey - if keeping for years and years - to care if the body style and minor changes are the very latest.

Smart move on your part.

Right.  It's totally beautiful, even with the old style.  

I need to go to the store.  I am slightly nervous.  On that note, I drove our old truck back over that mountain pass that has been my no go for about 4 years.  I was nervous and it was trial by fire, but I did ok and didn't have a panic attack.  I think I am really getting over that horrible incident.  although, BOC, don't fear the reaper, came on the radio and I had to change the channel.  AHH...NO!

• Haha 2

Congratulations!  You and your husband have worked hard for a long time - if you can treat yourself to something you want and it won't impact your ability to do other things you want, why not?  Especially since you are likely to live with this purchase for a long time , it's good to get something that really meets your needs and makes you happy.  Enjoy and many years of safe driving!

• Awesome 1

I am very excited that you have a NEW truck! But your details have me scratching my head.  Is it a Silverado or Sierra? I don't think Chevrolet makes a Sierra. And the 4x4 should be a round nob on the left side of the dash.  I'm so confused!!   Looking forward to the pics. 

P.S. Have a great time at the party tonight!

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, smudge said:

I am very excited that you have a NEW truck! But your details have me scratching my head.  Is it a Silverado or Sierra? I don't think Chevrolet makes a Sierra. And the 4x4 should be a round nob on the left side of the dash.  I'm so confused!!   Looking forward to the pics. 

You are right.  It is a Silverado.  I can't seem to wrap my head around that this is NOT GMC.  Essentially the same animal though.  I am so confused.

So, I come out of the grocery, and I look to my usual area where I park and my truck is not there. Took me about 5 seconds.  Yeah, that IS your truck, lady.  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, smudge said:

I had the same head scratching based on the second paragraph of the original post. Found internet deal at GMC dealer, in transit, then ultimately bought a Silverado. Initially though found on their used lot when learned the GMC was in transit, but then saw where was new. Figured you either swung by another dealer after leaving the GMC dealer, or, like I have one locally, it is a combined GMC, Buick, Chevrolet dealer. Honestly, as I have looked at trucks on their lot, I tend to like the Silverado better. True they are twins, but the GMC is designed with more brawn where the Silverado seems more a refined/finesse  design, and to me was noticeable as I looked out over the hood. Nice having them both on the same lot. It is also a dealership that I can park across the street and slide in from the side and not be pounced on as they see me drive in.

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I thought you would be super disappointed with me.  Not a frugal thing with the shredding 3 grand in depreciation.

Nah!  I was disappointed in my used purchase - when you are keeping it forever, I think it pays to be in complete control of the vehicle’s history. 

• Heart 3

22 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

So hip, what is wrong with the 2001?

She runs really well.  Over the last few years our Silver has broke down about every year or so and we have had to dump money in it.  We have fixed everything that has cropped up over the last few years. My husband changed the oil and found more metal shavings in the oil.  He used some magnetic device.  He brought it to me and showed me the shavings.  I assumed this meant..."I want a new truck."  So, we fast tracked the plan.

The biggest reason we got it now before the major breakdown happens again.  This way, we can sell it before that happens.  Also, we were tired of our small radius for travel.  We don't want to travel far, because we are concerned of problems. Once the truck got to about 170K, I was like... we need to stay closer. Having a limited radius sucks sucks sucks.

14 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You are right.  It is a Silverado.  I can't seem to wrap my head around that this is NOT GMC.  Essentially the same animal though.  I am so confused.

So, I come out of the grocery, and I look to my usual area where I park and my truck is not there. Took me about 5 seconds.  Yeah, that IS your truck, lady.  

So you have a usual area at the grocery to park? Is it within walking distance to the store?

10 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

She runs really well.  Over the last few years our Silver has broke down about every year or so and we have had to dump money in it.  We have fixed everything that has cropped up over the last few years. My husband changed the oil and found more metal shavings in the oil.  He used some magnetic device.  He brought it to me and showed me the shavings.  I assumed this meant..."I want a new truck."  So, we fast tracked the plan.

The biggest reason we got it now before the major breakdown happens again.  This way, we can sell it before that happens.  Also, we were tired of our small radius for travel.  We don't want to travel far, because we are concerned of problems. Once the truck got to about 170K, I was like... we need to stay closer. Having a limited radius sucks sucks sucks.

Ok, replacement approved. :D

11 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

My husband changed the oil and found more metal shavings in the oil.  He used some magnetic device.  He brought it to me and showed me the shavings.  I assumed this meant..."I want a new truck."  So, we fast tracked the plan.

Oh the old metal shavings in the oil trick, and it worked. I can’t believe you fell for that. :D

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Oh the old metal shavings in the oil trick, and it worked. I can’t believe you fell for that. :D

Are you saying that he tricked me?  Like gamed me to fast track the truck plan?

Doubtful.  I believe they were there.  It was doing this before we got the diffy replaced last time.  These were found there, when he changed the oil.  

Are you trying to cause marital strife?  

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Are you saying that he tricked me?  Like gamed me to fast track the truck plan?

Doubtful.  I believe they were there.  It was doing this before we got the diffy replaced last time.  These were found there, when he changed the oil.  

Are you trying to cause marital strife?  

Faarstone told us the van had water in the earl but I think they made a mistake since the earl looks like good earl to me and it has run fine for 5 months since then. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

In a tranny I might believe it but not on an enginr

Front diffy.  We already repaired it once.  It was doing this before we had to fix it last time.  Now, it's back.  Truck runs fine though. 

It's cool.  As soon as we have 500 miles on the mew truck, we can sell the old one. Looking forward to selling, so we can begin to repair the emergency fund.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2019 at 1:17 PM, Razors Edge said:

But nowadays, there seems much more info one can use to be a bit wiser come signature time.

Truecar is a useful app for new and used cars. I had a nearly painless car buying experience when the dealer I was at came in lower for the car I wanted than any surrounding dealers. I then got another $1000 off for financing.

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

This and online the forum validations too. 

There are a couple ways to look at it.  3K is 3K.  It's still real money.  On the other hand if you are going to keep it for 20 years it's $12.50 a month.

As a shopper of pre-owned cars (who are we kidding, their used) I am all for others buying new cars...

• Haha 1

I don’t frequent other forums like I used to but I would find it sad at other places (not so much here) when people post and expect to get blasted for their post or question.  I was getting the vibe from DH that she was expecting to get grief for buying new. 

I’m glad nobody gave her crap on it and everyone seemed genuinely happy for her.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I don’t frequent other forums like I used to but I would find it sad at other places (not so much here) when people post and expect to get blasted for their post or question.  I was getting the vibe from DH that she was expecting to get grief for buying new. 

I’m glad nobody gave her crap on it and everyone seemed genuinely happy for her.

Folks could take a lesson about my shed adventures!  Muhahahaha.

On 7/15/2019 at 3:02 PM, Kzoo said:

There are a couple ways to look at it.  3K is 3K.  It's still real money.  On the other hand if you are going to keep it for 20 years it's $12.50 a month.

As a shopper of pre-owned cars (who are we kidding, their used) I am all for others buying new cars...

Depreciation is 0 until you sell.  It's like stock prices, something to talk about but not real until transaction time.  The only time it counts is if you have some sort of company with an accountant who can write it off as a business expense every year.

If like some here you keep a vehicle till it's dead Jim then the entire value of the vehicle is gone and it doesn't matter if it left at a higher rate the first year.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:21 PM, ChrisL said:

Well, Page Turner did about the size.  

Supper irritated at that comment.  It's a jab on the soft part of my belly.  I do care about resources, but I also like to enjoy my life.  Not very wasteful in my life, except for my beautiful and very large truck.