My new truck is being weird

Dirtyhip

It keeps telling me to look in the backseat.  I wonder if it brain is fried already. This is concerning.  I thought maybe it meant something about the rear doors, cause I went shopping and might have forgot to shut the door really well.  The doors were solidly shut.  Backseat? Is there something operational in the new trucks that is in the back seat area?  

52 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

It keeps telling me to look in the backseat.  I wonder if it brain is fried already. This is concerning.  I thought maybe it meant something about the rear doors, cause I went shopping and might have forgot to shut the door really well.  The doors were solidly shut.  Backseat? Is there something operational in the new trucks that is in the back seat area?  

I turned that warning off on mine.  Maybe it's a San Francisco truck and that is for car jackers? :) 

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Shoot.  I think you guys are likely right.  I had groceries on the seat. 

Kids.  Shoot.  I never would of thought of that.  LOL

I'm going to call that feature the package reminder.

There has been a raft of child deaths from this recently, so it us quite topical.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, smudge said:

Hmm, neither HoSmudge (Silverado) nor I (Colorado) have done software upgrade/update.  ???

You haven't???  Usually there is a notification similar to a recall.  Unfortunately they don't send it out in a form that users can do by themselves so the vehicle has to be taken to the dealer while a cable is plugged in.  Usually the updates are changes to things like the acceleration curves that the onboard systems use to deploy the air bags or minor modifications to the air/fuel ratios depending on the state you live in and the form of emission tests the vehicle must make it through.  As with all software, your vehicles operating system is in a state of constant refinement.  GM products are particularly onerous as there are portions of the Onstar system that are active at all times whether or not the user subscribes.  Various changes such as new satellite launches require updates to frequencies and protocol so that you can be successfully monitored at all times.

Here is a bit more info on the back seat reminder.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/dec/1206-rsr1.html

It is triggered by the back door latches and timing.

My 2015 Silverado did not have this feature, but a few of the many loaner vehicles they gave me during the long periods of time that my Chevy was in the shop did have the feature.

21 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Here is a bit more info on the back seat reminder.

https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2016/dec/1206-rsr1.html

It is triggered by the back door latches and timing.

My 2015 Silverado did not have this feature, but a few of the many loaner vehicles they gave me during the long periods of time that my Chevy was in the shop did have the feature.

So, it's the door.  Yes, I opened the back door and placed my groceries on the seat, right before I drove off. 

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

So, it's the door.  Yes, I opened the back door and placed my groceries on the seat, right before I drove off. 

You can probably turn it off using the center display.  This si not a Silverado, but it should be the same in most GM vehicles

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Yeah.  We are going to do that.  Although, this is a good reminder "Don't ruin your groceries in the sun."

Happened to me last week.  I stopped for some milk and cheese and put it in the backseat.  Then I stopped for some take-out food that I put in the front seat.  When I got home I took the take-out in the house.  Guess what was still in the car the next day?

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

Happened to me last week.  I stopped for some milk and cheese and put it in the backseat.  Then I stopped for some take-out food that I put in the front seat.  When I got home I took the take-out in the house.  Guess what was still in the car the next day?

This goes far to explain why Cheese has not bee posting.

19 hours ago, BR46 said:

Some of the newer vehicles have a reminder to look in the backseat in case you have a child in a car seat.

Some people forget that they have kids 

You'd think they would have a child seat now that gives a warning beep if the child seat buckle is engaged when the engine is turned off (perhaps triggered by the 12V (cigarette lighter) plug that usually turns off when the key is turned off.  It could also be engineered to have a sensor that detects when the driver side door is opened or when the sound of a door opening/closing occurs as my clip-on-the-sun-visor Bluetooth device does.

It's not major engineering. I could design the circuit with less than $20 worth of chips and resistors, etc. and a printed circuit board kit.  Maybe I will.

3 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

You'd think they would have a child seat now that gives a warning beep if the child seat buckle is engaged when the engine is turned off (perhaps triggered by the 12V (cigarette lighter) plug that usually turns off when the key is turned off.  It could also be engineered to have a sensor that detects when the driver side door is opened or when the sound of a door opening/closing occurs as my clip-on-the-sun-visor Bluetooth device does.

It's not major engineering. I could design the circuit with less than $20 worth of chips and resistors, etc. and a printed circuit board kit.  Maybe I will.

https://www.fatherly.com/gear/best-car-seat-alarms/

19 hours ago, Airehead said:

Do you have packages in the back seat?  It may think it is a car seat

My Honda Fit has a warning light that comes on when I have packages of any weight on the front passenger seat but clearly not enough to be an adult, telling me the air bag on that side is not set to go off.

Maybe it's something like that.

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

My Honda Fit has a warning light that comes on when I have packages of any weight on the front passenger seat but clearly not enough to be an adult, telling me the air bag on that side is not set to go off.

Maybe it's something like that.

It is tied to the back door latches and is time based.  Alerts if the back door has been opened within a certain period of time.