N+1 Commuter Edition

ChrisL

1 hour ago, Airehead said:

Nice, how far is your commute?

20 miles one way.  I have been kicking the idea of an e bike but for now I plan to keep driving.  I also frequently drive between my locations and sometimes due to emergency situations so as much as I’d like to bike commute I’m concerned I may be stuck at Corporate and am needed at an offsite building. 

Let us know  how the lifestyle adjustment goes in a few months. I sat at a table with 10 other employees.  2 of them have been trying to get their partner to go single car.  One does not have children and they live 3 min. from LRT (yea), 5 min. from grocery store.  Other has been doing massive downsizing in home possessions in preparation to sell and buy smaller home after 2 adult children moved out several yrs. ago.  She and hubby have undergone significant positive changes in exercise, food intake.

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

20 miles one way.  I have been kicking the idea of an e bike but for now I plan to keep driving.  I also frequently drive between my locations and sometimes due to emergency situations so as much as I’d like to bike commute I’m concerned I may be stuck at Corporate and am needed at an offsite building.  

Would corporate spring for an Uber account? Or could you leave car #2 at the office 24/7, and bike to/from work?  If something came up, you'd have the car there, and could use it, and even take it home, but swap the next day.

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Would corporate spring for an Uber account? Or could you leave car #2 at the office 24/7, and bike to/from work?  If something came up, you'd have the car there, and could use it, and even take it home, but swap the next day.

Well in a couple of weeks we’ll only have one car so not likely we’ll leave it at work.  Good point in the uber, I do have an account linked to my company Amex for travel.  I don’t think they would have an issue with it.  

The concerning thing for me is when the shit hits the fan (albeit rarely) I need to haul ass...  Just last month we had a medical emergency at an off site and I was able to render aid before paramedics arrived.  Waiting on an uber wouldn’t have cut it in that situation.

The other issue is the distance.  I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around a 40 mile round trip bike commute on a regular basis and my work is at the top of a long gradual 2 mile ascent. 

8 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Well in a couple of weeks we’ll only have one car so not likely we’ll leave it at work.  Good point in the uber, I do have an account linked to my company Amex for travel.  I don’t think they would have an issue with it.  

The concerning thing for me is when the shit hits the fan (albeit rarely) I need to haul ass...  Just last month we had a medical emergency at an off site and I was able to render aid before paramedics arrived.  Waiting on an uber wouldn’t have cut it in that situation.

The other issue is the distance.  I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around a 40 mile round trip bike commute on a regular basis and my work is at the top of a long gradual 2 mile ascent. 

I guess I'm not understanding something. So if wifey rides bike, she still needs access to the single car for something other going to work??  Or if you have the car for commuting, would it interfere with her wanting to shop after work since she gets home sooner or?

40 mile round trip maybe something to be done only 1-2 times per wk.  I guess your firm doesn't have a company car or ...car share nearby.  

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I guess I'm not understanding something. So if wifey rides bike, she still needs access to the single car for something other going to work??  Or if you have the car for commuting, would it interfere with her wanting to shop after work since she gets home sooner or?

40 mile round trip maybe something to be done only 1-2 times per wk.  I guess your firm doesn't have a company car or ...car share nearby.  

Yeah we’re not comfortable going zero car  in SoCal where public transportation is horrible, high congestion and things are really spread out.  So yeah she prefers we keep one car and truth be told this 1 car thing is a trial basis.

Remember the big three formed a shell company, bought the only light rail system in SoCal only to dismantle it in the 1940’s and we have been a car culture ever since.