I think I'm too smart for TV

Chris...

27 minutes ago, Chris... said:

is that a thing. Most TV shows and movies contain way too many glaring errors and inconsistencies.

I feel the same way

15 minutes ago, Airehead said:

You are in the minority. People seem to love tv

I still love the concept and when there is good tv, it happifies me a good bit. 

14 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Maybe just picky.:whistle:

That is how everybody dismisses the thinking folks. 

• Haha 1

Yeah, most shows push the whole "suspended disbelief" thing a little too far. I've become painfully aware since I started writing and studying the craft. I don't just watch shows anymore, I analyse the plot structure, character development, and accuracy of the content. It's really killed my viewing pleasure...

• Heart 4
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Yeah, most shows push the whole "suspended disbelief" thing a little too far. I've become painfully aware since I started writing and studying the craft. I don't just watch shows anymore, I analyse the plot structure, character development, and accuracy of the content. It's really killed my viewing pleasure...

One of the english electives I had to take in college was on Film Making.  (it appears that many subjects can be taught under the guise of English so long as the material is suitable for writing about).  Actually it was 2 semesters.  After those courses I spent too much time analyzing the mechanics of the film or television show from camera angles to cuts etc.  I eventually gave up and learned to simply enjoy the show as a bit of time off from reality was the whole purpose of watching it.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, Chris... said:

is that a thing. Most TV shows and movies contain way too many glaring errors and inconsistencies.

It's one of those things where we're all free to try to do it better.  Maybe it is just REALLY challenging to write and produce a very good TV show or movie, so we sort of have live with what we have or go out and make it ourselves.  

I'd say, of the 100+ channels I have, 90% are useless to me 95% of the time.  So, if all that programming - even the 5% on the 90% that I might enjoy - disappeared, it would have little or no impact on me and my viewing habits.  Of course, we'd hear a LOUD yell as @MickinMD would be incensed we cancelled his shows abruptly, but I would be fine.

The downside is bike racing certainly would disappear almost immediately.  No more curling, TdF, or British Baking Show :(

16 hours ago, Chris... said:

At the end of each school year, we science teachers would get our area straightened and approved a day early and then watch DVD movies on the classroom TV's the final day until we got final approval to leave.

Teachers from other departments who joined us would get angry because we science teachers would notice that shadows were pointing the wrong way, a tiny piece of sodium metal caused a much bigger explosion than it was capable of, the sun rose over the ocean for a certain country in the morning, not set over it at sunset, etc.

"Where's your suspension of disbelief?"

We'd reply we didn't want to get insulted while doing it.

• Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

At the end of each school year, we science teachers would get our area straightened and approved a day early and then watch DVD movies on the classroom TV's the final day until we got final approval to leave.

Teachers from other departments who joined us would get angry because we science teachers would notice that shadows were pointing the wrong way, a tiny piece of sodium metal caused a much bigger explosion than it was capable of, the sun rose over the ocean for a certain country in the morning, not set over it at sunset, etc.

"Where's your suspension of disbelief?" 

We'd reply we didn't want to get insulted while doing it.

You must have hated MacGyver! Or the A Team. Well, any action show with stuff blowing up!

34 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

TV is a mindless cesspool. I have heard way too much of it while taking care of WOLJ. 

I think that is too broad of a statement.  95% of TV is a mindless cesspool, but that 5% that isn't really varies from person to person. :(

One thing I find useful is to use the Guide customization options.  You can "hide" a crapton of channels so you don't even need to see what junk is on them.  A good example is the Hallmark channel. Total dreck, so with a couple clicks, it no longer shows up in my Guide.  Sure, today I will miss seeing that A Bride for Christmas, A Wish for Christmas, Snow Bride, A Christmas Detour, & Finding Santa are playing (it's Christmas in July!), but man does it make TV viewing less grating.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A good example is the Hallmark channel. Total dreck, so with a couple clicks, it no longer shows up in my Guide.  Sure, today I will miss seeing that A Bride for Christmas, A Wish for Christmas, Snow Bride, A Christmas Detour, & Finding Santa are playing (it's Christmas in July!), but man does it make TV viewing less grating.

I got my mother an upgrade to her cable lineup for Christmas so that she could get the Hallmark Channel.  :nodhead:  And a Christmas Detour has a cute puppy in it!

• Heart 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

This is why my wife hates watching TV with me.  I have to try really hard to keep my mouth shut about all the stuff they don't even try to get right.  I'm not good at keeping quiet, I usually get as far as when she says "turn on the Television" and I start in on teleVISION?!  Why do we call it that?  What about the teleAUDIO, too?

• Haha 1