Nerve pain

petitepedal

Yup that twinge that keeps popping up...I am guessing it is related to the rotator cuff...but that same area is part of where the shingles were 15 mos ago.  I never had this kind of pain from my shingles although it is possible...all of the info on the web notes the pain started during the shingles and didn't show up a year later.

It sucks....that is all.

• Sad 2

A lot of the rotator cuff problem is nerve pain.  It can wake you in the middle of the night with magic pains all the way down to your fingers.  That's what caused me to finally go see the doctor.  They did a set of shoulder and cervical xrays looking for bone spurs, signs of the joint being loose in the socket and at my age various signs of arthur right us.  At first they were convinced that bone spurs in the neck area were the problem.  The insurance company would not however pay for an mri till I went to pt.  Pt made the problem so much better that I've taken no other action at this time.  The nerve pain disappeared part way through therapy.

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Don't  know that it is related to the shingles..given it showed up over a year after having them...the muscle/nerve area is also near the bad shouldrr.

The actual pain for me was part way between the shoulder and the elbow at about the point that the deltoids form the point of a V.  But some days the elbow would hurt and others the wrist.  That's probably why they first wanted to look for bone spurs and pinched nerves.  The therapist would chat with me while I was doing exercises and she showed me some pics that show how complicated the nerve pathways are through the muscles around the shoulder.  It really doesn't take all that much to make them angry.

The thing that surprised me the most was how much good you could do for the muscle structure there without using heavy weights and bulking the shoulder up.  Very precise exercises with light weights are standard across most of that PT industry.

I'm right there with you on the rotator cuff thing. I've already had surgery on the left one and will probably have the right done before the year is out. I've been putting it off for as long as I can.  It's not going to be fun. 

When the rotator cuff was inflamed or pissed off from the weighted vest..yeah the pain was from the shoulder to the elbow...this is nerve pain in the pec..but not far from where it would meet up with the other muscles that make up the rotator cuff.. who the heck knows..but post shingle nerve pain isn't known to show up a year later..it usually comes as the rash worsens.

My rotator cuff pain was almost exclusively around my shoulder, biceps and triceps, and was mostly a dull, persistent pain instead of a short twinge.

Of course, there are so many nerves, tendons, muscles, and bones digging into them that I guess every type of pain is possible.

Good luck with it, Petite!

10 hours ago, Dottie said:

Do nerves generate the pain or do they transmit it?

Asking for myself.

A nerve being pinched in the shoulder may cause "radiated" pain all along the pathway of that nerve.  Since all the nerves in an arm pass through a network in the shoulder it's not uncommon for pain to appear anywhere in the arm depending on where and how strong the "pinch" is.

My brother still has nerve pain in his back ten years after his shingles.  He said the bypass surgery on his heart (not the scope procedure) and the knee replacement were nothing compared to the pain from the shingle nerve damage.

I hope yours is the rotator cuff or something non-shingles related that can be dealt with.  

• Heart 1