Sign in to follow this  
dennis

Lance on NBC

Maybe they can get Pete Rose to cover baseball.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-lance-armstrongs-nbc-presence-spurs-debate-about-his-place-in-cycling/

Armstrong, who now hosts 'The Move' podcast that has been covering each Tour de France stage with special guests and commentary, has also been featured during the NBC Sports Network's live daily coverage, joining Roll and Liggett on screen by video link-up and offering his opinions. After the race, the network has been airing excerpts from a 30-minute pre-Tour interview Mike Tirico conducted with Armstrong that originally aired on May 29.

It is a tough call on LA.  It's like we are rewarding poor behavior by bringing him back into the fold, but at the same time, as a society, you HAVE to allow folks to do their time and return as full "citizens".

He has "paid" his penalty, so he ought to be allowed back in.  The UCI banning him was - pure and simple - motivated by a lot more than just addressing his cheating. 

My issue with him - in a commentator position - is that he is pretty crappy at it and he is still surrounding himself with Yes-men.  I think he might be useful if paired with a better co-host who can draw out his knowledge and experience and guide him past his egotistical impulses.  He had some rant in the Giro about Nibali that was purely some issue he had with Nibali as a person.  You don't see ANY other former pros doing that in the booth, and, to me, it was just shitty "same old Lance" BS.  I'd rather have Christian VdV (boring as he can be) for insight without the ego-driven "extra" LA still carries around.

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is a tough call on LA.  It's like we are rewarding poor behavior by bringing him back into the fold, but at the same time, as a society, you HAVE to allow folks to do their time and return as full "citizens".

He has "paid" his penalty, so he ought to be allowed back in.  The UCI banning him was - pure and simple - motivated by a lot more than just addressing his cheating. 

My issue with him - in a commentator position - is that he is pretty crappy at it and he is still surrounding himself with Yes-men.  I think he might be useful if paired with a better co-host who can draw out his knowledge and experience and guide him past his egotistical impulses.  He had some rant in the Giro about Nibali that was purely some issue he had with Nibali as a person.  You don't see ANY other former pros doing that in the booth, and, to me, it was just shitty "same old Lance" BS.  I'd rather have Christian VdV (boring as he can be) for insight without the ego-driven "extra" LA still carries around.

Has he paid? He is still pretty rich. I think he owes some money to some unless he has settled all of the lawsuits. He did a lot to hurt the sport. Greatest fraud ever, right? Honestly, I think Rose did less than LA. He never cheated. He gambled on his own team. Unless he bet against his team and threw a game, who could fault that?

The Tirico interview was a lot of BS. 

7 minutes ago, dennis said:

Has he paid? He is still pretty rich. I think he owes some money to some unless he has settled all of the lawsuits. He did a lot to hurt the sport. Greatest fraud ever, right? Honestly, I think Rose did less than LA. He never cheated. He gambled on his own team. Unless he bet against his team and threw a game, who could fault that? 

The Tirico interview was a lot of BS. 

He has "paid in full" from a $$$$ standpoint.  Obviously, a "lifetime" ban won't be completed until he is dead, so he's basically screwed there.

But, again, he is the MOST SUCCESSFUL CHEAT, not really the greatest fraud.  Christian (doper) and Chris Horner (doper) are commentating.  Floyd (doper) is sponsoring a team. Levi (doper) is running a huge Gran Fondo. Hincapie (doper) is a team sponsor and a large cycling apparel guy. Merckx (doper) is being regaled this TdF.  Tony Martin (doper) is still racing. Wiggo ("legal" doper) and Froome ("legal" doper) were part of the Sky legal doping system with a bunch others like Geraint.  Doping is a FACT of life in pro cycling and pro SPORTS.  Operation Puerto resulted in NO sanctions against all the non-cyclists using Fuentes. 

So, a lot, to me comes down to is LA's punishment fair in relation to all the other punishments for doping, and second, has he (or can he) paid the price and done the time yet?

Tirico interview sucked.  Same weak azz interview as all others. It's why I still feel LA is lying about a ton of stuff.

8 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

He has "paid in full" from a $$$$ standpoint.  Obviously, a "lifetime" ban won't be completed until he is dead, so he's basically screwed there.

But, again, he is the MOST SUCCESSFUL CHEAT, not really the greatest fraud.  Christian (doper) and Chris Horner (doper) are commentating.  Floyd (doper) is sponsoring a team. Levi (doper) is running a huge Gran Fondo. Hincapie (doper) is a team sponsor and a large cycling apparel guy. Merckx (doper) is being regaled this TdF.  Tony Martin (doper) is still racing. Wiggo ("legal" doper) and Froome ("legal" doper) were part of the Sky legal doping system with a bunch others like Geraint.  Doping is a FACT of life in pro cycling and pro SPORTS.  Operation Puerto resulted in NO sanctions against all the non-cyclists using Fuentes. 

So, a lot, to me comes down to is LA's punishment fair in relation to all the other punishments for doping, and second, has he (or can he) paid the price and done the time yet?

Tirico interview sucked.  Same weak azz interview as all others. It's why I still feel LA is lying about a ton of stuff.

I didn't realize he settled all of the lawsuits. He probably owes a few others like the Andreus for tearing them down. 

I guess I am just tired of him. 

1 hour ago, dennis said:

I didn't realize he settled all of the lawsuits. He probably owes a few others like the Andreus for tearing them down. 

I guess I am just tired of him.  

Yeah - I think he can wear folks down fairly easily with his personality.  On the other hand, it is very hard for me to dismiss those years he won the TdF and to pretend it was just him doping or that it wasn't a "cool" time in cycling.  Those years were fun. The coverage was better all the time, the racing was strong, the "characters" were intriguing, and I definitely enjoyed it. 

I like my Lance Armstrong in small doses.  Too much, and he is overwhelming, but with none at all, it is a farce. 

On 7/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, Razors Edge said:

it is very hard for me to dismiss those years he won the TdF and to pretend it was just him doping or that it wasn't a "cool" time in cycling.  Those years were fun. 

For an American cycling fan. But Team Sky has taught me what the rest of the world was experiencing during the Postal domination.

7 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

For an American cycling fan. But Team Sky has taught me what the rest of the world was experiencing during the Postal domination.

Sooooo true.  And, like Postal, there will be an odd shake-up to the history books.  Cycling can't help but shoot itself in the foot with cheaters :( 

One thing, though, that has remained constant is how annoying Phil is with first his American/Postal "jingoism" and now his constant Brit/Sky/Ineos jingoism.  Jeebus is that annoying.  A dozen things could be going on in the peloton, and I get to hear some sort of Geraint or Ineos trivia. Torture.