The Cafe is in need of Mongolian Grill

jsharr

2 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Go get your boots shined. 

I will do so at lunch.  Need to run to the bank and make a deposit, stop by the LGS for some fruit for the office, going to grab lunch at Dickey's BBQ and then let Mr. Charles shine my square toe Ariat ropers today.  He shined by round toe Ariat stockmen yesterday.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Love their food, but I cannot always remember the combination of seasoning that provides that 'fabulous' taste.

Right... I have been to those places a couple of times and although good each time a little different.

i like the places that are a buffet of raw meats & you grill them at your table. My son and I have a favorite place we go to every now & again. I think we are due...

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Right... I have been to those places a couple of times and although good each time a little different.

i like the places that are a buffet of raw meats & you grill them at your table. My son and I have a favorite place we go to every now & again. I think we are due...

I only get to those places when traveling.  I also really enjoyed eating 'hotpot' when in China.

• Heart 1

59 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

We had one locally that you grilled your own.  Not at the table, but several grills in a common area.  It was fun and the family liked it.  I was never good at selecting the right combination of stuff to make a good dish.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I will do so at lunch.  Need to run to the bank and make a deposit, stop by the LGS for some fruit for the office, going to grab lunch at Dickey's BBQ and then let Mr. Charles shine my square toe Ariat ropers today.  He shined by round toe Ariat stockmen yesterday.

And you call yourself a Texan. No Texan I know would go to a chain restaurant  like Dickey’s for BBQ.

31 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

And you call yourself a Texan. No Texan I know would go to a chain restaurant  like Dickey’s for BBQ.

Dickeys started in Dallas in the early 40's.  They still serve good BBQ and I have been going there since I was a kid.   Sure there is better BBQ,, but Dickeys is not bad.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Did you ever eat at Tom's BBQ in College Station?  Have we discussed this?  If we have, have we discussed my lack of short term memory?

Yes and yes!  I actually ate there the first time when I went for my interview in early 1975.  Still remember the butcher paper, hunk of cheese, pickle and bar-b-que.  Ate a few times at Randy Simms, and our all time favorite for bar-b-que was Slovaceks (sp) meat market in Snook.  Of course, we also had to stop at the bakery for Kolaches. We ate at a few other places in the area, but I cannot remember their names.  Those were the good ole days, when I was drinking cold PBR from long-neck bottles.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

Yes and yes!  I actually ate there the first time when I went for my interview in early 1975.  Still remember the butcher paper, hunk of cheese, pickle and bar-b-que.  Ate a few times at Randy Simms, and our all time favorite for bar-b-que was Slovaceks (sp) meat market in Snook.  Of course, we also had to stop at the bakery for Kolaches. We ate at a few other places in the area, but I cannot remember their names.  Those were the good ole days, when I was drinking cold PBR from long-neck bottles.

So do you want to discuss my lack of short term memory now or did we already do that too?

• Haha 1

Also, I had to take a call before lunch that ran long so when I walked back in from lunch at around 2 pm, Mr. Charles was packing up his stand and heading up stairs to drop off shoes he had shined for people that dropped them off in the morning.  I will have to wait until tomorrow.

47 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Dickeys started in Dallas in the early 40's.  They still serve good BBQ and I have been going there since I was a kid.   Sure there is better BBQ,, but Dickeys is not bad.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not aware of their long history. The first Dickey’s I ate at was in Ohio. It is meh Bbq in my memory. 

36 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was not aware of their long history. The first Dickey’s I ate at was in Ohio. It is meh Bbq in my memory. 

No worries.  I have never eaten at a Dickeys outside of Texas, only in Dallas and Athens, so my experience is limited.  When I worked in the parts and service department at Plano Marine, the counterman at the Dickeys around the corner brought his bass boat to us for service.  When we went to see him, he was very generous with the meat.  His boat got fixed very fast whenever he brought it in.

They used to keep a HUGE block of cheese on a marble topped side table next to the sauce and pickles and onions and peppers.  You would get your order, then go get some warm BBQ sauce and slice some cheese of the block, grab some pickles and peppers and sliced onion and go eat.

At some point, the city decided the block of cheese out in the open was some sort of health risk and it went away.  

Damn bureaucrats will screw up anything, even a BBQ joint.

• Heart 2