Didja ever wonder WTaF was going on in someone's little mind?

2Far

Firearm training for people who wear it every day is a lot more than grip, sight picture and trigger control.  It is more about when it is appropriate and when it is not.   Assuming the armed cop was  being non-aggressive, this gomer is a plain case why not everyone should be armed on the job 

• Heart 1

1) Off duty or on duty sheriff?  Does this pass the sniff test for reasonable things to be doing while working: "the episode unfolded on May 31 when Gaston went to the IRS office in Toledo to ask a question about a letter he received from the agency."????

2) Was the Sheriff trained in de-escalation procedures?

3) Are guards - AT HIGHLY THREATENED facilities - supposed to just let folks in on UNOFFICIAL business with firearms?

4) Do you think it is NORMAL to go to an IRS office WITH a gun?

5) When you visit an IRS office, is it likely you are in a good, calm, and happy mental place OR in an agitated, irritated, and unhappy mental place?

6) Is it easy to readily identify legitimate cops from illegitimate ones?

17 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

1) Off duty or on duty sheriff?  Does this pass the sniff test for reasonable things to be doing while working: "the episode unfolded on May 31 when Gaston went to the IRS office in Toledo to ask a question about a letter he received from the agency."????

3) Are guards - AT HIGHLY THREATENED facilities - supposed to just let folks in on UNOFFICIAL business with firearms?

5) When you visit an IRS office, is it likely you are in a good, calm, and happy mental place OR in an agitated, irritated, and unhappy mental place?

Shaddup.

You do not pull a firearm on someone unless you intend to shoot.  At a minimum, a few questions are in order.  It's really difficult to justify pulling a firearm on a uniformed policeman without some other serious threat forthcoming.

You're a security guard fer chrisakes.  Mall Cop.

3 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

The deputy is told he can’t enter the building with his firearm, so he turns around and walks out of the office.... THIS is what prompts the security guard to draw his weapon and follow him out? Yeah, he shouldn’t be working security.

Did the deputy try to walk out or did he ignore the security guard and try to get on the elevator anyway?  I did not read the story.

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Did the deputy try to walk out or did he ignore the security guard and try to get on the elevator anyway?  I did not read the story.

The elevator is in the lobby. He leaves the IRS office to get back to the elevator which is when the guy chases after him with his gun drawn. The deputy didn’t even look angry when told he can’t go into the office with his gun, he just waved his hand “no, not going to happen” when told to put it in the car, turned around and left.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

We call that Monday in Texas.  If you said shooting, it would have been Friday or Saturday. 

Do you get time off with pay and a settlement?

I wonder if there is audio to go with the video.  Seems that what was said might be important.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

1) Off duty or on duty sheriff?  Does this pass the sniff test for reasonable things to be doing while working:

Depends on where you are and how busy it is and how many members are on the road.  A lot of places front line cops dont get regular coffee and lunch breaks so doing a little personal stuff is looked at as acceptable is things are quiet

Undoubtedly yes.  It is standard in the last 30-40 years, and woukd be trained  way more than a security guard would be

Cops, yes.  It is a professional courtesy.  The only acceptable place cops routinely check their firearm on duty is at a prison or holding facility.  The safest place for a cops firearm is in its holster on their hip

If you are a cop, yes.  He probably didn't even think about the fact he is armed.  Carrying a gun every day for years, it just becomes part of the kit and would think no more of wearing it in somewhere than an accountant walking in with a pocket protector full of pens

This is why I mentioned in my original post about if the cop was not aggressive.  If he was in to argue a point,  he probably did not make the best decision, if he was just saying " I got this letter from IRS that I owe you some money and it is cc'd to a Nigerian prince...." showing up in uniform would(should) have been fine

Yes.  They are in uniform.  In fact in most countries (I don't know about the US cause you have lots of screwed up laws) it is common law that someone in police uniform is to be recognized as police.  Period.  The "I wanted proof they were not an imposter" is not considered a viable defense.  In fact here, if in uniform you do not even have to show badge (we do not wear it on the uniform) and they must recognize the authority.  If buddy had of showed up with a raid jacket over plain clothes that is one thing, but showing up in full sheriff's uniform is completely recognizable as a cop

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

f you are a cop, yes.  He probably didn't even think about the fact he is armed.  Carrying a gun every day for years, it just becomes part of the kit and would think no more of wearing it in somewhere than an accountant walking in with a pocket protector full of pens

I once had to meet with a police officer about a threat that had been made towards me. My office building does not allow fire arms. He refused to give his up, so we found an area off the lobby where I could give my report. I do not blame any officer who is in uniform for taking that position. 

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

He's lucky he didn't shoot himself in the foot.

THIS time.  I wouldn't rule out a few bullet hole scars on his feet already.

16 hours ago, Zephyr said:
18 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Cops, yes.  It is a professional courtesy.  The only acceptable place cops routinely check their firearm on duty is at a prison or holding facility.  The safest place for a cops firearm is in its holster on their hip

Living in the DC area, with lots of Federal offices, I think it is generally accepted that NO FIREARMS are allowed on Federal property (which includes rented/leased office spaces) unless the police officer is there on official business like dealing with a crime.  I'm not sure what happens when you show up at the metal detectors at DOE with a gun and are in uniform, but I would think the guards aren't supposed to just let you in to the "secure" area. Nor should they pull their gun on you, but I would hope all the security folks would snap to attention as well.

I think there are pretty valid reasons to keep firearms out of high tension areas.  The odd actions of the security guard do highlight how things can quickly go sideways when guns are in places they really don't need to be.  It's gonna get worse before it gets better (if it ever gets better).

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

THIS time.  I wouldn't rule out a few bullet hole scars on his feet already.

Living in the DC area, with lots of Federal offices, I think it is generally accepted that NO FIREARMS are allowed on Federal property (which includes rented/leased office spaces) unless the police officer is there on official business like dealing with a crime.  I'm not sure what happens when you show up at the metal detectors at DOE with a gun and are in uniform, but I would think the guards aren't supposed to just let you in to the "secure" area. 

I think there are pretty valid reasons to keep firearms out of high tension areas.  The odd actions of the security guard do highlight how things can quickly go sideways when guns are in places they really don't need to be.  It's gonna get worse before it gets better (if it ever gets better).

As I see it, the guard informed him that he couldn't come in with a firearm.  The policeman complied and attempted to leave via the elevator.  At no time did the policeman get past the guard into the office.  I see no fault with the policeman and the guard is a whack job.  There is no defense for following the policeman to the elevator with a drawn gun.  None.