In the TdF, does anyone know(no spoilers)

Zephyr

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

The percentage of riders using disc brakes this year.  I have noticed what looks like some with and some without.

Actual number no but more and more teams are adopting them.  If I were to guess, based on casual observation and TDF bike reviews I’d say around 40%. 

I’d give it a few more years and the peleton will be completely switched over.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Six teams have completely switched over to disc brakes for the Tour. Deceuninck - Quick-Step, Alpecin - Katusha, Dimension Data, Bora-Hansgrohe, Trek-Segafredo, Mitchelton-Scott and Wanty–Groupe Gobert have all fully committed to discs. In some cases, it's not just for this race but from the beginning of the season. Discs haven't appeared to do Deceuninck - Quick-Step any harm, this Belgian team has racked up 48 victories at the time of writing!

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/263734-rise-disc-brakes-tour-de-france-top-tip-pro-mechanic-setting-disc-brakes

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

If you were to go to a local cyclocross race I would say that the percentage is closer to 95%. 

The UCI allowed discs in CX a couple of years earlier and the nature of the racing was more accommodating to the change than in the pro peloton which is slow to change for many reasons.

But Yeah, in pro CX discs are the norm.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The UCI allowed discs in CX a couple of years earlier and the nature of the racing was more accommodating to the change than in the pro peloton which is slow to change for many reasons.

I'd 100% get a road bike with disc brakes now.  I don't get to do it enough, but I have a few 10%+ descents that end with a stop sign at a T-intersection.  Right now, I have to start braking early enough not overshoot into traffic, and the steepness requires a bit of attention to overheating the pads & rims.  Disc brakes would be much "funner" :D

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I think that wheel manufacturers are loving this. 

• Heart 2

Just now, Razors Edge said:

I'd 100% get a road bike with disc brakes now.  I don't get to do it enough, but I have a few 10%+ descents that end with a stop sign at a T-intersection.  Right now, I have to start braking early enough not overshoot into traffic, and the steepness requires a bit of attention to overheating the pads & rims.  Disc brakes would be much "funner" :D

Disc on road can be summed up with one word for me.  "Confidence".  I watched Griffin go from timid with his old Cx bike with canti brakes to a confident rider with hydraulic discs.  This translated to road or Cx.  He would tackle lots of things on discs that he wouldn't do with rims. 

• Heart 3

Just now, Parr8hed said:

Disc on road can be summed up with one word for me.  "Confidence".  I watched Griffin go from timid with his old Cx bike with canti brakes to a confident rider with hydraulic discs.  This translated to road or Cx.  He would tackle lots of things on discs that he wouldn't do with rims. 

I agree. I can't believe how solid and firm them things stop, its like having power brakes. And a just with a light finger touch of the lever.

5 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I rode my old crosser with canti’s a lot and the brakes are at best meh... I recall going down numerous descents thinking damn I hope I stop in time... Yeah I get it.

I have SRAM hydros on my mtn bike, TRP cable actuated discs on my new crosser.  Cable actuated discs are pretty good,  way better than canti’s but hydros are freaking awesome!

48 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...another reason all my bikes are junk. :( *sigh*

OK hold the freaking phone for a minute. Yeah we like to rib each other about old vs new but if you mean to tell me the side pull brakes of the 70.s & 80’s are excellent stoppers your off your rocker.

Those brakes were OK at slowing you down but  sucked balls at stopping you if you really needed to stop.  The pro peleton hated wet mountainous descents back then as their brakes were for shit and you are old enough to know this.  

Your old steel bikes are cool, I love looking at them but c’mon man, you know those brakes are crap and yes, modern dual pivot are far superior to side pull and discs are far superior to dual pivot.  

47 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

OK hold the freaking phone for a minute. Yeah we like to rib each other about old vs new but if you mean to tell me the side pull brakes of the 70.s & 80’s are excellent stoppers your off your rocker.

Those brakes were OK at slowing you down but  sucked balls at stopping you if you really needed to stop.  The pro peleton hated wet mountainous descents back then as their brakes were for shit and you are old enough to know this.  

Your old steel bikes are cool, I love looking at them but c’mon man, you know those brakes are crap and yes, modern dual pivot are far superior to side pull and discs are far superior to dual pivot.  

OMG, SOOOO refreshing to hear someone say it like it is! (I've been so emotionally neutered at work that it makes me hate myself)  Thanks!

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

...I can lock up the wheels on any side pull braked bike I own.  That's a fact. Dual pivot side pulls are better (mostly because they're easier to center and adjust), but they're no better in terms of mechanical advantage than any of the (also dual pivot) centerpull brakes.  If you have a bicycle, any bicycle, and you can't lock the wheels and skid the tyres, your brakes are either adjusted wrong, or you have crappy, stiff,old pads, or you are riding on steel rims.

If you want to join the lemmings and go to road discs, I'm cool with it.  But let's not blame it on bad brakes when it's most likely mechanical ineptitude.

Discs on long descents come with their own set of problems, mostly due to heat buildup and potential for fading because of it.

10 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I can lock up the wheels on any side pull braked bike I own.  That's a fact. Dual pivot side pulls are better (mostly because they're easier to center and adjust), but they're no better in terms of mechanical advantage than any of the (also dual pivot) centerpull brakes.  If you have a bicycle, any bicycle, and you can't lock the wheels and skid the tyres, your brakes are either adjusted wrong, or you have crappy, stiff,old pads, or you are riding on steel rims.

If you want to join the lemmings and go to road discs, I'm cool with it.  But let's not blame it on bad brakes when it's most likely mechanical ineptitude.

Discs on long descents come with their own set of problems, mostly due to heat buildup and potential for fading because of it.

Well just have to agree to disagree.  In dry conditions sure you can lock them up but hydraulic discs provide  far superior braking in all conditions.

This lemming has already switched and ain’t going over the cliff cause I have discs!

15 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Is that a land line or a flip phone we are holding?

Flip phone? I can’t see that curmudgeon with a cellular phone!  

I bet he jams two quarters in the cranks where the dust caps go in case his steel is real bike breaks from internal rust and he needs to make a call from the pay phone. ?

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Well just have to agree to disagree.  In dry conditions sure you can lock them up but hydraulic discs provide  far superior braking in all conditions.

This lemming has already switched and ain’t going over the cliff cause I have discs!

...you appear to have missed the riders in this year's tour who are not riding road disc.  You also insist on conflating your CX requirements with road racing requirements in terms of bicycling equipment.  I think it's clear you are confused, so I hope it doesn't get to the point where you go over the cliff because you got left confused with right. :) 

30 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Is that a land line or a flip phone we are holding?

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Flip phone? I can’t see that curmudgeon with a cellular phone!  

I bet he jams two quarters in the cranks where the dust caps go in case his steel is real bike breaks from internal rust and he needs to make a call from the pay phone. ?

...since you ask, I now have a Motorola G6.  I still keep it turned off most of the time, and my land line continues to work fine for my usual needs.  In that sense, a land line is a lot like rim brakes. They both work fine, but there is a lot of confusion about "personal needs".  :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...since you ask, I now have a Motorola G6.  I still keep it turned off most of the time, and my land line continues to work fine for my usual needs.  In that sense, a land line is a lot like rim brakes. They both work fine, but there is a lot of confusion about "personal needs".  :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

So no quarters in the crank holes?  That’s where the cool kids put their pay phone change back in the day!

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...you appear to have missed the riders in this year's tour who are not riding road disc.  You also insist on conflating your CX requirements with road racing requirements in terms of bicycling equipment.  I think it's clear you are confused, so I hope it doesn't get to the point where you go over the cliff because you got left confused with right. :) 

Ahhhhhh goes ChrisL over the cliff... Not! ?

I gotta say...

My first Specialized bike was a Sirrus with disc brakes. Then I got my Roubaix. I was shocked and horribly disappointed when I realized the rim brakes on my $2500+ bike were total crap compared to the brakes on my $500 bike. 

The Roubaix still has rim brakes, but the other three bikes have disc brakes. All future bikes will have discs. 

That is all.

15 minutes ago, smudge said:

I gotta say...

My first Specialized bike was a Sirrus with disc brakes. Then I got my Roubaix. I was shocked and horribly disappointed when I realized the rim brakes on my $2500+ bike were total crap compared to the brakes on my $500 bike. 

The Roubaix still has rim brakes, but the other three bikes have disc brakes. All future bikes will have discs. 

That is all.

No smudge you are incorrect. Trade that awesome Hei Hei in for a 1985 steel Stumpjumper with cantis’ right now. Because you know.... Old stuff is better. ?

7 hours ago, ChrisL said:

No smudge you are incorrect. Trade that awesome Hei Hei in for a 1985 steel Stumpjumper with cantis’ right now. Because you know.... Old stuff is better. ?

You take that back!! 

Ooh, I think my blood pressure just went up a bit!!  :P

• Haha 2