2 lambs washed 2 to go.

Digital_photog

7 hours ago, smudge said:

Ugh, I know about "stripping" a dog. Never had to do it, never wanna do it!

I have a great callus from that. My finger is bent funny too from holding the knife. I. Would rather blow out a poodle in show coat. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What happens at the fair? Do animals get judged and prizes awarded? Are animals bought and sold, or do all the same ones come home at the end?

I think the lambs go on lots of rides,  play games on the fairway and eat a lot of fried and unhealthy food.  :nodhead:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

What happens at the fair? Do animals get judged and prizes awarded? Are animals bought and sold, or do all the same ones come home at the end?

The students at the fair are judged on the quality of their animals, and ribbons and premiums are awarded.  The students are also judged for their showmanship ability with the same or maybe a different animal. 

Depends upon the project. Many are raised for meat, and those are sold near the end of the fair.  Animals that are in breeding projects are taken home after the fair.  Judging of the meat animals does not end at the fair, as the carcasses are judged later at the slaughter house.  These data provide a comparison, as to how they are judged on the hoof, and a comparison back to some of the ultrasound measurements taken when the animals are alive.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

20 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Good luck at the fair.  I did not know that you prepared Shetland lambs in this manner for show. Preparation varies a lot among breeds.

Washing depends on how much lanolin and dirt they have in the fleece.  The spring lambs were washed much less.  These 2 look much better today.  Fleeces are more back to normal.  Being very light colored they needed a good wash but now will only be lightly cleaned before show on Tuesday.  Stains and VM have come out of the fleeces very well. They should be in excellent condition by show day.