Oh Schnizzle! PZ Ain't Gonna Believe This One!

Razors Edge

A "new" steepest hill - and it is in WALES!!!!

No more Pittsburgh vs Dunedin.  It is all Wales :(

----------------------------------------------------------

Cyclists hunting for the steepest climb in the world will not need to travel across to New Zealand any more as a small street hidden in North Wales has claimed the title.

The town of Harlech has usurped Baldwin Street in Dunedin, on New Zealand's South Island, to take the prize of the world's steepest road.

The newly-crowned champion road is Ffordd Pen Llech, a narrow, winding residential street that local residents are claiming holds an average gradient of 37.5%, 1% higher than Baldwin Street, with a knee-crunching 1:3 gradient. 

Measurements were taken in Wales back in January with the decision made from guidelines that state the record will be based on the maximum gradient of a 10-metre distance and the altitude gained in that span.

Local residents in Wales who spoke of Guinness, the body which officiates the records, were specific on its requirements and how there were worried as to whether the 10th metre to be measured would meet requirements.

Eventually, it did and Guinness World Records then found Ffordd Pen Llech to be the winner.

Despite the road being part and parcel of life in Harlech for many years, local residents only noticed its World Record potential in January with resident Gwyn Headley the first to make the claim.

Talking to BBC Radio Wales at the beginning of the year, Headley said, 'I was driving down it in the summer when it struck me how steep it could be.'

Headley helped lead Wales to the title and on the announcement of the road's victory told The Guardian: 'I feel utter relief and jubilation. I feel sorry for Baldwin Street and the New Zealanders, but steeper is steeper.'

image.png.2ab22a6f36b9697a2f3dba607f9e503b.png

vs my pic from NZ:

IMG_6883.thumb.JPG.76516ad962d55631c04fa22c62b444cf.JPG