What's 100,000,000 Among Friends?

Razors Edge

Just now, jsharr said:

My county was 24.2 pills per person per year.

Yeah. We were 14.2, which makes me wonder what a typical prescription runs. A dozen pills? One per day? Multiples?

I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out decades ago, they gave me some seemingly good meds, but I never took them since I had no real pain after the good stuff wore off from the surgery.  I think my older sister probably swiped those.  This was before this latest wave, though, so probably not as addictive?

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah. We were 14.2, which makes me wonder what a typical prescription runs. A dozen pills? One per day? Multiples?

I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out decades ago, they gave me some seemingly good meds, but I never took them since I had no real pain after the good stuff wore off from the surgery.  I think my older sister probably swiped those.  This was before this latest wave, though, so probably not as addictive?

With my broken collarbone they gave me a prescription for a dozen to be taken as needed.  I think there are still a few in the bottle at home.  I should turn those in soon.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

With my broken collarbone they gave me a prescription for a dozen to be taken as needed.  I think there are still a few in the bottle at home.  I should turn those in soon.

I read a story ( @Dottie should read)  that the real uptick in the OxyContin crisis was when the makers changed how the pills were made.

-------------------------------------

“It was really a couple years before I realized how bad it had gotten—when it got to the point where I needed more than my doctor was prescribing me,” he recalls. “I was peeling the coating off of the OxyContin, crushing them, and snorting them. I knew I was in trouble.” Eventually, he started smoking the Oxy, too.

Hathaway says 2010 was a pivotal year—that’s when Purdue Pharma LP, maker of OxyContin, changed the pill’s chemistry so it couldn’t be crushed into a snortable powder or heated into a vapor for inhaling. The new version had a time-release formulation; it was useless to addicts who were crashing.

“That is the beginning of the heroin epidemic,” Hathaway says, pointing to himself as living proof. He and his son began using heroin to get the same results they used to get from crushed Oxy. “It’s hard to explain to somebody who hasn’t been through it how it takes over your life,” he says. “The worst thing is the withdrawal. If I stop, I’m not going to work. I’m not eating. I’m not doing anything.” Addicts begin to schedule their lives in eight-hour increments, in fear of the crash. “Withdrawal sends you into such a terrible sickness that all you can think about is you got to get well,” Hathaway says. “It gets to the point that it’s not about being high, it’s about not being sick. I think that’s the thing that’s hard for people to understand. It’s really about not being sick.”

• Heart 1

Why should I read that?  The free market in prescriptions is killing off our society. They don't care who gets addicted.  Let's not deny those boys profit.  Keep a free market healthcare system if you want (I'm cool with that) -- but rein in (reign?) big pharma and even nationalize it.  Bunch of scumbags.

Who would keep stats for that and why?

Once again, (like it always seems) I am below average.  I had a prescription last fall for 4 weeks for eye drops, and that was my first prescription in 10 years.  My little sis who is a pharmacist commented that I am not doing much to provide her with job security

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dottie said:

Why should I read that?  The free market in prescriptions is killing off our society. They don't care who gets addicted.  Let's not deny those boys profit.  Keep a free market healthcare system if you want (I'm cool with that) -- but rein in (reign?) big pharma and even nationalize it.  Bunch of scumbags.

Your neck of the woods and a former coworker of yours!

image.thumb.png.bca528683e8511964d062fd68f175dd7.png

image.thumb.png.1b9adb3f428e0f57a316c12e51a8fee4.png

3 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Who would keep stats for that and why? 

Literally the FIRST sentence of the article.

For the first time, a database maintained by the Drug Enforcement Administration that tracks the path of every single pain pill sold in the United States — by manufacturers and distributors to pharmacies in every town and city — has been made public.

...and the "why" is because it is a controlled substance. Usually good to actually track those sorts of things.

• Awesome 1

26 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

what a typical prescription runs.

Depends on the condition. My FIL has been on OxyContin twice a day plus some as needed for breakthrough pain for 8 or 9 months now since his hip replacement. His orthopedic surgeon didn’t prescribe him a laxative/bowel regimen, so he got constipated, impacted, then readmitted to the hospital where he got a urinary tract infection, septic, osteomyelitis in his vertebrae... So then 4 months in a nursing home for IV antibiotics, then three more for PT, most of it “self” pay. Just got out on Monday. Walking with a walker but home. Had been playing golf weekly before the surgery. 

So his Rx is probably for #120 tablets a month? I am serious about wanting him to see a doctor who can prescribe medical marijuana, the opioids are going to do him in sooner than later.