Yea, it's here

maddmaxx

9 minutes ago, Dottie said:

and hopefully my home appraisal goes up with it.

Your home appraisal will not change based on a portable shed.  If it is not anchored to the ground it is just a chunk of wood in the backyard.  You might have to pay extra for insurance for an out building but that is policy based.  If you do have to pay extra for insurance that will be offset by the non-increase in property value (or not)

16 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Your home appraisal will not change based on a portable shed.  If it is not anchored to the ground it is just a chunk of wood in the backyard.  You might have to pay extra for insurance for an out building but that is policy based.  If you do have to pay extra for insurance that will be offset by the non-increase in property value (or not)

Yeah it's not going to be portable. When the appraisor came out for a refi, he asked if we had a shed in the back. So it does impact value... how much is unknown. But I gotta believe it will cover the price of the shed. That's the belief anyway, so I am popping for a good one. They will build on site.

A portable shed, being an attractive nuisance, is a liability on your home's value and it's certainly an extra expense on your insurance.  Once they see the size of yours and the foundation it's on they may raise your medical insurance as well.  All in all I see this as a net negative, especially when the amount of money involved would have paid the difference for a normal heating bill for a decade or more.

54 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Congratulations! I love it when big ticket appliances get installed.

You and your "friend" would still be working on either the removal of the old machine, or the cabinet cut out for the as to yet be ordered new machine if it was your house.

26 minutes ago, Dottie said:

Repeat: it is not portable.

If it is not secured with a foundation it is portable whether you can pick it up or not.  Buying a 10 x 10 or 10 X 12 or 12 X 12 shed from a shed place and setting it on your platform is still considered portable - pre-built or not.  A $1000 or $2500 or $3500 shed from a shed place will not increase your appraisal amount.

34 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

and it's certainly an extra expense on your insurance.

My policies have always had a certain amount included for outbuildings and their contents.  My current shed is covered without additional riders.  I had a small barn at my first place that was also automatically covered.  My other 2 houses had more substantial horse barns and needed additional riders to cover them.

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

My policies have always had a certain amount included for outbuildings and their contents.  My current shed is covered without additional riders.  I had a small barn at my first place that was also automatically covered.  My other 2 houses had more substantial horse barns and needed additional riders to cover them.

I'm not insuring it. Please don't come over and burn it down. At most it will have a 1000 lbs of pellets out there... maybe more and a few yard tools. Very low theft items that would be extremely difficult to haul out of there anyway. Nobody is going to be stealing pellets. And in 50 years of living in Western Washington I have never seen a shed go up in flames or even heard of that.

11 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Screws - Zip - done.  He's going to cement his.  

image.png.7dab6dd357194996a8a6b94489220887.png

Oh! Well, if THAT's the plan, then ya, go for it!  ;) 

I assumed a sill plate, but does he have one down? I guess it would be a sill plate...? On columns..... Ok, I'll shut up now.  ? 

Just now, smudge said:

Oh wait, one  last question.  Will it have a dishwasher in it?? (we kinda hijacked Max's thread. Sorry Max)

Good question.  They make portable dishwashers.  A long extension cord and a garden hose.  He's set.

• Heart 1