Am I the only one who thinks the ass-end of the new Corvette looks like the Camaro's?

2Far

I think it is a good move by Chevy to have styling cues that tie their model line together top to bottom.

As a kid, I could see a car coming and just by looking at the grill and headlights or going and seeing the tail lights, you could tell what it was usually make and model.    Those days are gone for the most part as all the cars seem to morph into very similar shapes.  I think this is one reason that I was drawn to the Chrysler 300 as it does not look like every thing else on the road right now.

That said, I had a buddy that drove one of those GM cars that was the same across all their lines.   It was a generic 4 door sedan that was given to him when his mother got a new car.  Woody named it the Oldsmobuick.   Very fitting name.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Indy said:

I now understand why they are killing the Camaro again. 

I think they must be killing the Camaro because it sells so poorly :(  To me, it would be my first choice of the Camaro/Mustang/Charger (& Challenger?) grouping, but man, I see like 10 Mustangs for every Camaro. And those Dodges are everywhere too.  Could be a bunch of "secretary" versions, but still, not enough Camaros being sold.  All things considered, though, to me, the current Vette is the best looking "regular" production car on the market now.

This Q1 chart, though, shows it isn't that horribly skewed.  I think the Charger is around 17k sales for Q1. 

image.png.f790d0687d177529bab3d699f927c90c.png

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

BTW, I did not realize we were dissussing the new 2020.  Thought we are comparing the current Vette to the current Camaro.  Apparently I do not know what NEW means.  DOH!

Or that the OP Vette photo matched your photo?  I'd use "dolt" but I'm not quite sure what it means.

image.png.b880595df74a34e68f25243f3bb9e285.png

image.png.6855ec8497927cd13b14afa0a36593bc.png

59 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I think they must be killing the Camaro because it sells so poorly :(  To me, it would be my first choice of the Camaro/Mustang/Charger (& Challenger?) grouping, but man, I see like 10 Mustangs for every Camaro. And those Dodges are everywhere too.  Could be a bunch of "secretary" versions, but still, not enough Camaros being sold.  All things considered, though, to me, the current Vette is the best looking "regular" production car on the market now.

This Q1 chart, though, shows it isn't that horribly skewed.  I think the Charger is around 17k sales for Q1. 

image.png.f790d0687d177529bab3d699f927c90c.png

That too, visibility sucks, back seat is unusable.  The new Camaro, performance wise is good, but there is just so much bad with it.  And with the backseat and lack of cargo compared to the Mustang and Charger, it might've well been a two seat Vette.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Indy said:

That too, visibility sucks, back seat is unusable.  The new Camaro, performance wise is good, but there is just so much bad with it.  And with the backseat and lack of cargo compared to the Mustang and Charger, it might've well been a two seat Vette.

I drove a new Camaro once.  ONCE.  That was one time to many.  Impossible to tell where the front of the car is, almost to the point of being dangerous.   

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I drove a new Camaro once.  ONCE.  That was one time to many.  Impossible to tell where the front of the car is, almost to the point of being dangerous.   

Side and rear was no better from my experience.  It was friends that I drove, he said it's fine because it has sensors to tell him if anything is there.  The moment you are relying on sensors to tell you something is there, you have a huge issue to me.  I love sensors as a secondary to help prevent me from missing something, but they shouldn't be considered your primary method.

Just now, Indy said:

Side and rear was no better from my experience.  It was friends that I drove, he said it's fine because it has sensors to tell him if anything is there.  The moment you are relying on sensors to tell you something is there, you have a huge issue to me.  I love sensors as a secondary to help prevent me from missing something, but they shouldn't be considered your primary method.

I was too concerned about ramming the huge fenders that you could not see over into something to worry about anything else, like trying to see the side or rear view mirrors through the gun slot windows.    It was impossible to enjoy driving it because you could not see anything out of it.  Luckily the one I drove was BRIGHT yellow, so people at least could see me.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I was too concerned about ramming the huge fenders that you could not see over into something to worry about anything else, like trying to see the side or rear view mirrors through the gun slot windows.    It was impossible to enjoy driving it because you could not see anything out of it.  Luckily the one I drove was BRIGHT yellow, so people at least could see me. 

These guys had no issue driving it.

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

These guys had no issue driving it.

Yes, by all accounts, it is a very good track car.  And that's the problem, public roads aren't tracks.  Honestly, I blame people fascination with the Nurburgring and track times.  It has ruined a lot of potentially good cars just for bragging rights on a track.  Yes, I want performance out of a performance car, but since I drive on streets more than track, I'm willing sacrifice the 10th of a seconds difference for livability. 

1 minute ago, Indy said:

Yes, by all accounts, it is a very good track car.  And that's the problem, public roads aren't tracks.  Honestly, I blame people fascination with the Nurburgring and track times.  It has ruined a lot of potentially good cars just for bragging rights on a track.  Yes, I want performance out of a performance car, but since I drive on streets more than track, I'm willing sacrifice the 10th of a seconds difference for livability. 

20 or 22" rims and 30 or maybe even 25 or 20 series tires on city streets is just asking for damaged wheels and suspension.  Everyone I know that has a serious performance car as a daily driver has broken at least one wheel on Dallas streets.

• Heart 1

Vettes started imitating European hypercars a long time ago. Jezzer did a side by side comparison of the Vette and the current Ferrari 10 or 20 years ago. They looked roughly the same, they also had nearly identical power stats and performance. The biggest difference was that the Ferrari cost twice as much.

The new Vette also looks like a European hypercar.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

20 or 22" rims and 30 or maybe even 25 or 20 series tires on city streets is just asking for damaged wheels and suspension.  Everyone I know that has a serious performance car as a daily driver has broken at least one wheel on Dallas streets.

Yeah, the low profile tire trend has gotten out of control.  My wife used to have a sports sedan, and it suffered two bent rims and those sidewalls now seem massive to what some of them are running.

Just now, Razors Edge said:

Seems like, for you "driving challenged" folks, the future of self-driving cars can't come soon enough!

I, like my brother Indy, just think you should use the right tool for the job.  Don't buy a wolf in sheep's clothing as your daily driver, don't ski behind a bass boat and don't slice tomatoes with a hammer.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Seems like, for you "driving challenged" folks, the future of self-driving cars can't come soon enough!

No, I enjoy driving, it's hard to push a car and hit proper lines when you can't see them.

Just now, jsharr said:

I, like my brother Indy, just think you should use the right tool for the job.  Don't buy a wolf in sheep's clothing as your daily driver, don't ski behind a bass boat and don't slice tomatoes with a hammer.

All good but the last part.  I don't like tomatoes other than as a sauce, so by all means, slice them with a hammer.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I WILL NOT take tomato advice from YOU!!!

• Haha 1

My boss sprung for a convertible on a training trip to Orange County in 2015. It was supposed to be a Mustang. When I arrived they only had a Camaro. My standard suitcase would not fit in the trunk. It wouldn’t fit in the front seat without blocking visibility. I had to drop the top to get the suitcase in the back seat. Good thing it wasn’t a hardtop! 

Visibility with the top up was horrible. Slightly better with the top down. At least I could see over my shoulder for lane changes! The A pillars made locating the front corners theoretical. I could sort of navigate a left turn through the slot between the A pillar and side mirror. Even with the top down, I had to rely on the camera to back up. First car I ever had to do that!

Other annoyances- they had a nice place to set your phone at the front of the console. It had a rubber pad to keep the phone in place. The only USB Charger was at the BACK of the console! To raise or lower the top, you had to hold the raise/lower button the entire 30 seconds. In this age of sensors on everything. This was silly. Why would anyone want to leave the top partially up or down? Made no sense!

All that said, even the rental V6 had plenty of power and sounded glorious! Even in areas with exotic cars everywhere you turned, I got thumbs up several times. It was a very handsome car. 

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BTW, I love Honda, and think the Civic would be awesome if it was just toned down a bit to my level of age-appropriateness.  :D

Civics come in all flavors.  The type R however is good for a midlife crisis.  306 hp is plenty and you can still get a child seat in the rear.

1 minute ago, groupw said:

I brought helmet, cycling shoes, pedals and kit along with work and casual clothes. Couldn’t quite get it in the next size smaller.  

Helmets take up a lot of space.  A few of mine came with their own carrying case, so I can just carabiner them to my carry-on bag (my backpack).