How would you describe your employer?

2Far

Mine:

• Pay: acceptable
  • Bennies: Good on healthcare cost; meh on 401(k) match; Meh on PTO.
  • Wisdom: Intellectual development stopped some time in the middle 80's. Dog forbid if any of the new folks suggest a different way to do something.
  • Communication: worst company I've ever worked for. How's Business going? Upcoming work? How did the project do? People leave. People start. People retire. Coworkers' spouses have babies. One coworker's husband died. <<crickets>> I only learn what I overhear.
  • Likelihood of survival: Dunno, starting to see some changes from last year's resale and some IT struggles are worse. Lots of work out there, but harder & harder to staff shutdowns & projects. We are turning away some of the seasonal work. We've made zero effort to grow our own workforce.

My last few employers have been contracting firms. Even though I'm technically an employee, I consider myself more a sub-contractor. I've stayed on the same project a couple of times when my 'employer' lost the contract and just joined the new contractor.

Pay is very good.

Bennies: I don't use their healthcare except for dental. 401(k) match OK. PTO started out a 120 hours and 10 holidays. The standard used to be 80 hours PTO but competition for employees has heated up.

Communication: OK but I don't really care.

Likelihood of survival: Overall great as government contracting is big business. However they are not rebidding on the project that I'm on now as they know that the new requirements aren't realistic. So I'll probably be working for someone else in October or just retire.

Good work to life ratio. Pay is competitive, bennies top notch, good work environment, somewhat volatile Industry but currently back on the upswing. I still enjoy what I’m doing even tho my boss can be a dick sometimes. But you can actually call him out for being a dick and he’s good with it.

• Heart 1

Maybe this is relative to before we were bought and the BOD was trying to kill the share price to take it private,  but now it's a great place to work.

We were bought by a Canadian company that is 95% family owned.  They aren't all about beating last year's numbers.  So goals are realistic, decisions are based on long term.  And we're making tons of money now.  They do get the work/life ratio thing.

• Awesome 1

32 minutes ago, 12string said:

Maybe this is relative to before we were bought and the BOD was trying to kill the share price to take it private,  but now it's a great place to work.

We were bought by a Canadian company that is 95% family owned.  They aren't all about beating last year's numbers.  So goals are realistic, decisions are based on long term.  And we're making tons of money now.  They do get the work/life ratio thing.

The public company that owns the division who bought us is down 65% since they announced our purchase.

The bigger the corporation -- the worse the bennies.  At least that's the way it is in my case.  OTOH, I also now get the entire week off between Christmas and New Years in addition to my regular vacation.  All in all, I can't complain.  There were some great bennies from my last company --- who thrived and didn't automatically fire the bottom 10% -- that I miss but honestly, I can't complain (too much).  Having good or very good medical coverage as I age is important though -- so that extra week off during the holidays may not be so important in 5 or 10 years as say a medical insurance that covers 80% instead of 70% or whatever.

• Heart 1

Ok. Pay is good, bennies good. Pay bonuses don't exist for the majority of employees.  Communication is ok. Innovation is only possible if it's small and affects the least amount of people.  What our dept. does have large, long-term impact in spillover /domino effect over multiple other business units. So innovation from us, on a big scale for what we do, takes a long time to develop, implement. 

Likelihood of survival:  Our employer will survive ...well beyond any private sector firm locally. If we don't exist, it's because our jurisdiction was annexed/split.  That's govn't.  It FAR outlives a private firm.  Even if a nuclear bomb happened, flood, fire, war…..in the end, the public run screaming to us for help/ recreate govn't/structure for democracy all over again. Not the private sector.