"This Is My Sexy Mom Car"

Razors Edge

5 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

That commercial infuriates me because all they talk about is the car's appearance.  That's Chevy's MO with this campaign though.

They sort of mashed up the Rogue, Rav4 and CR-V and put a Lexus grille on it.  Development must have cost them hundreds.

Maybe the GMC "Denali" version of whatever is the sister SUV are for guys????

6 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But didn't Blazer used to be a "guys" truck? That add is full bore aimed at women.  I get they are big slice of the SUV market buyers, but that's not an enticing ad for me (as a guy).

Damn straight it was a guys car

Image result for old chevy blazer removable top

Image result for old chevy blazer removable topImage result for old chevy blazer removable top

I lusted after and still do lust after to a certain extent and old school removable top Blazer or GMC Jimmy.  

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

I lusted after and still do lust after to a certain extent and old school removable top Blazer or GMC Jimmy.   

Yeah, that removable top option was da bomb! And sadly lacking from all the SUVs of today except the Jeeps. 

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Image result for old chevy blazer removable top

I still see Chevy trucks from this era around.  They are typically working trucks, and therefore they look like hell, but they're still running.  

My parents had a 1979 C-10. 

Comparing this new model to the old-school Blazer is a sort of sacrilege, sort of like the late 80s Pontiac Lemans.  ::shudder::

Image result for 1987 pontiac lemans

Just now, TrentonMakes said:

I still see Chevy trucks from this era around.  They are typically working trucks, and therefore they look like hell, but they're still running.  

My parents had a 1979 C-10. 

Comparing this new model to the old-school Blazer is a sort of sacrilege, sort of like the late 80s Pontiac Lemans.  ::shudder::

Image result for 1987 pontiac lemans

The C-10 will be the next big investment type vehicle like old Camaros and Cudas I think.  Blazers and the Ford Bronco / Explorer with the removable tops.  late 70s and early 80s Ford and Chevy trucks will soon be bringing 50k plus at auction on a regular basis as all the older stuff gets way too pricey.

Just now, Chris... said:

My Daughter just bought a Durango R/T

bf4f7dc89f144b453078f08727d6be2e.jpg

Does it have the 392 Hemi?  I cannot imagine what fun it would be to drive a Jeep / Dodge / Chrysler with that engine on a daily basis, but I would not want to pay for the care and feeding.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

Does it have the 392 Hemi?  I cannot imagine what fun it would be to drive a Jeep / Dodge / Chrysler with that engine on a daily basis, but I would not want to pay for the care and feeding.

Yes. MPG City: 14 / MPG Hwy: 22

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

They haven't made the 392 since some time in the mid 60's.  It was replaced by the famous 426 Hemi and the current Hemi is 345 cu in.

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They haven't made the 392 since some time in the mid 60's.  It was replaced by the famous 426 Hemi and the current Hemi is 345 cu in.

You sir, are as wrong as wrong can be.  Chrysler / Dodge currently has a 6.4 l 392 Hemi.    And yes, they do have a 5.7 Hemi as well.    I recently looked at a Chrysler 300 with the 392 so I know of what I speak.

https://www.dodge.com/build.challenger.2019#/powertrain/zipcode/75240/vehicle/CUD201903/ccode/CUD201903LADX22A/llp/2DG/options/ESH,DEC,TR9,WRW,HD,UAS,X9,PR3,23G,3EJ,APA

And you can get it in the Durango

https://www.dodge.com/durango.html

29 minutes ago, jsharr said:

The C-10 will be the next big investment type vehicle like old Camaros and Cudas I think.  Blazers and the Ford Bronco / Explorer with the removable tops.  late 70s and early 80s Ford and Chevy trucks will soon be bringing 50k plus at auction on a regular basis as all the older stuff gets way too pricey.

I see quiet a few restored older SUV’s out here.  My 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport was purchased by a guy who wanted to restore it.  Bought it for the body as it was in really good shape.. no major dents, bondo or rust.   Didn’t care that the engine was blown and didn’t work.

I kind of get the popularity of crossovers. They are essentially the new station wagon. Auto makers are doing everything they can to keep them from getting the “boring mom” car that doomed the traditional station wagon and minivan. 

Apparently is working. I had a Buick Park Avenue for a company car. I upgraded to a Buick Enclave. I haul a lot of printers and PCs it is far more practical. Yet people who barely noticed the sedan drool over the Enclave. 

1 minute ago, groupw said:

I kind of get the popularity of crossovers. They are essentially the new station wagon. Auto makers are doing everything they can to keep them from getting the “boring mom” car that doomed the traditional station wagon and minivan. 

Apparently is working. I had a Buick Park Avenue for a company car. I upgraded to a Buick Enclave. I haul a lot of printers and PCs it is far more practical. Yet people who barely noticed the sedan drool over the Enclave. 

I like the new Buick Tour X station wagon.  It is cool.  I would drive one.

Image result for new buick wagon

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, 12string said:

GM design for years has looked like 12 people each work on different sections of the car without talking to each other.

And your're both right, 392 is the metric equivalent of 426.

I got passed by a Durango Hellcat the other day.  Wow, the sound!

No, Maxx is wrong because he said the 392 has not been made since the 60s.  Right now they make the 5.7 and the 6.4/392.  I want @maddmaxx to at least fight back and call me a moran or something.

At the very least he could be a Miss Vito.

4 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

That commercial infuriates me because all they talk about is the car's appearance.  That's Chevy's MO with this campaign though.

They sort of mashed up the Rogue, Rav4 and CR-V and put a Lexus grille on it.  Development must have cost them hundreds.

Most car commercials bug me because the appearance it the big focus or vague awards. We're not told about how it ranks in %age that need non-accident repairs over the first 5 years according to Consumer Reports, etc. Even the newspaper reviews leave out major details. Almost none of the auto reviews in USA Today mention gas mileage at all.

Personally, I look for more info than most, but it should be available on the manufacturer's site.  I'd like to know how much cargo an SUV or crossover holds behind the front seats and rear seats, how much headroom and legroom, etc. and if you can fit at least a 4' x 4' piece of plywood/sheetrock inside or an 8' long piece of lumber entirely inside. If not can it stick out the back and how far? How wide and high is the hatch opening in the back?  Some of those things are impossible to find without taking a tape measure to the dealers.

5 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

But didn't Blazer used to be a "guys" truck? That add is full bore aimed at women.  I get they are big slice of the SUV market buyers, but that's not an enticing ad for me (as a guy).

They ruined it going unibody. When it was a guy's vehicle, it was built on a truck frame. Ford did the same with the Explorer. Notice how their tow capacity went way down below the 5000 lb mark.

5 hours ago, jsharr said:

I like the new Buick Tour X station wagon.  It is cool.  I would drive one.

Image result for new buick wagon

I like wagons. I wish more manufacturers would sell the wagons here they sell elsewhere in the world. Almost bought one when we bought our Mazda 6. Someone bought it before I made my final decision. 

I bought this yesterday and have to say I love it. I think the styling is pretty macho and this dovetails with my image as an alpha male with an education. I drive it with the window down so that the slipstream can tousle my hair......it's a great look....dear me yes.

dacia-duster-essential-new.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

• Heart 3

8 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

The world has gone mad!  SUVs instead of cars is a sacrilege!

When I picked mine up there was a very high end car on sale for 30k off.  They said it had been sitting for a year.  I asked what they sell more of, the lower end models or the higher end models.  I guess I was only thinking sedans.  He said by far what they sell the most of was the mid range SUVs, plus a lot of the upper end ones too.

I hate driving behind them on the highway.  My commute is stop and go, and when 1/2 the cars are SUVs, you have no idea what is coming up.

My son calls his SUV a "tall wagon". I call them modern day minivans bought by those who made fun of minivans back in the day. ;)

As to how vehicles are perceived. I brought the little red car to work one day to macho dude central. All the jacked up 4x4 owners couldn't stop fawning over it. How awesome it was, insisted in watching the top open and close etc. Then they asked when the MX5 came out and wanted to know where they can go buy one too. When I told them they've been selling Miatas for 30 years and this one is just the newer fastback version.

"Wait!? What!? A Miata!? Never mind, those are girl's cars!'' And they drove away rolling black smoke... :rolleyes:

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, team scooter said:

How awesome it was, insisted in watching the top open and close etc.

It got me with that, plus the wonderful overall styling.  Reminds me of the old Ford wagon with the retractable top that comes to the car show in my hometown every fall.  Very cool!  I love convertibles withoot the ragtop.  And small, light, nimble cars. :)  SUVs are tippy, heavy, and thirsty, dammit!  And EVERYONE has them!

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

It got me with that, plus the wonderful overall styling.  Reminds me of the old Ford wagon with the retractable top that comes to the car show in my hometown every fall.  Very cool!  I love convertibles withoot the ragtop.  And small, light, nimble cars. :)  SUVs are tippy, heavy, and thirsty, dammit!  And EVERYONE has them!

And don't get me started on the soft top guys vs the retractable hardtop guys on the MX5 forums. Because the whole 12 seconds it takes to open or close the hard top should be better spent driving it instead. :frantics:

And Maggie has clamed possession of the little car and flips out if she hears it start and she isn't in it. :)

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, jsharr said:

Well would you just take a look at that?

Pre-Owned 2014 Chrysler 300 SRT8 Core w/Navi

They are just bringing the 6.4L Hemi back in the past couple of years with the high performance models where the 5.7L Hemi is the standard V8 offering.  Monster HP in that 4.4L! There are two 6.4L versions Supercharged returning 707HP 645 Torque, and the standard returning 475HP 470  Torque, compared to the 5.7L with 360HP 390 Torque and in the Jeep Grand Cherokee I have been looking at, all tow 7200LBS. Standard 6.4L rated at 11 city -17 highway where the 5.7L is 14-22. That mileage is also what causes me a problem. Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche all have mid-size SUV's with supercharges/turbo V6 with HP/Torque competitive with the 5.7L and tow 7200-7700Lbs but return 19 city 25 highway. While they cost more - Porsche Cayan particularly, the Mercedes GLE and BMW X5 sould be negotiable to $10000-15000 above a similarly equipped Jeep Overland or higher trim.

10 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

They are just bringing the 6.4L Hemi back in the past couple of years with the high performance models where the 5.7L Hemi is the standard V8 offering.  Monster HP in that 4.4L! There are two 6.4L versions Supercharged returning 707HP 645 Torque, and the standard returning 475HP 470  Torque, compared to the 5.7L with 360HP 390 Torque and in the Jeep Grand Cherokee I have been looking at, all tow 7200LBS. Standard 6.4L rated at 11 city -17 highway where the 5.7L is 14-22. That mileage is also what causes me a problem. Mercedes, BMW, Audi and Porsche all have mid-size SUV's with supercharges/turbo V6 with HP/Torque competitive with the 5.7L and tow 7200-7700Lbs but return 19 city 25 highway. While they cost more - Porsche Cayan particularly, the Mercedes GLE and BMW X5 sould be negotiable to $10000-15000 above a similarly equipped Jeep Overland or higher trim.

How about a full sized F150 with the super charged v6? 12000 lbs towing and decent mileage in platinum trim it would be hard to beat

13 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How about a full sized F150 with the super charged v6? 12000 lbs towing and decent mileage in platinum trim it would be hard to beat

Our son has one of those AWD Ford Fusion Sports with the twin turbo V6, And I've gotta say, I think its pretty impressive. It even sounds impressive when he kicks it in the nads. He doesn't like it though because the chassis isn't as good as the drivetrain. He only got it because he couldn't get a deal on a turbo Mazda 6. :dontknow:

57 minutes ago, team scooter said:

And don't get me started on the soft top guys vs the retractable hardtop guys on the MX5 forums. Because the whole 12 seconds it takes to open or close the hard top should be better spent driving it instead. :frantics:

And Maggie has clamed possession of the little car and flips out if she hears it start and she isn't in it. :)

How long does I take take to remove or raise the ragtop?

19 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

How long does I take take to remove or raise the ragtop?

As fast as they can flip the lock latch and push it back and down by hand. :dontknow:

I'll raise or lower the top while waiting for the Mrs to come outside or while waiting for traffic at a stop sign etc, so the 12 seconds it takes ME to lower MY top only seems to really matter to the manual top guys. ;) 

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

True, and my first choice, but wife can’t/won’t handle climbing in. Between that and no fitting in the garage, I would hear it from her every time she climbed in or backed out the garage. With her knees and hip, needs something sits over into.