Newest watch.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

What's the depreciation rate on those things?

I have a second generation of this watch in orange from a few years ago. They discontinued it.  I originally bought it for $200. I could easily sell it for $900. Seiko people are weird. 

Most Seiko automatic watches are a good investment. 

Shu Fang 

7 hours ago, Shu Fang said:

I have a second generation of this watch in orange from a few years ago. They discontinued it.  I originally bought it for $200. I could easily sell it for $900. Seiko people are weird. 

Most Seiko automatic watches are a good investment.  

Shu Fang 

So, do you sell the last one for $900, & pocket the profit or parlay it into a better next watch?

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

So, do you sell the last one for $900, & pocket the profit or parlay it into a better next watch?

I haven't had a reason to sell them.   They will most likely continue to hold their value. Especially if I service the movements.  I don't flip watches.  And most of the ones I have mark a year in sobriety and have emotional value.  I have however, given a few away to guys who hit a year of sobriety.  

Seiko dive watches also seem to be the rage lately amongst collectors.  All the old Rolex watches are bought up I guess. You used to be able to pick up watches from the 70S - 90S for cheap. Even really poor examples command obscene amounts of money now.

Shu Fang 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

22 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

I haven't had a reason to sell them.   They will most likely continue to hold their value.

...what seems to happen in collector driven markets is that as the guys like you, who age into affluence and start collecting stuff they lusted after when they were young and poor, eventually get older and go into care homes or die. Then they are replaced by a generation who never wore a watch (or rode a bespoke steel bicycle with downtube friction shifters) , and who don't give a flying fuck about the stuff you find of interest.  Then the market drops because there are fewer and fewer buyers.

I'm thinking about starting a classic smart phone collection to anticipate future trends.:)

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...what seems to happen in collector driven markets is that as the guys like you, who age into affluence and start collecting stuff they lusted after when they were young and poor, eventually get older and go into care homes or die. Then they are replaced by a generation who never wore a watch (or rode a bespoke steel bicycle with downtube friction shifters) , and who don't give a flying fuck about the stuff you find of interest.  Then the market drops because there are fewer and fewer buyers.

I'm thinking about starting a classic smart phone collection to anticipate future trends.:)

Oh bugger......that is so depressingly true......that is just how it works.

Stop doing this.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 hours ago, Shu Fang said:

I haven't had a reason to sell them.   They will most likely continue to hold their value. Especially if I service the movements.  I don't flip watches.  And most of the ones I have mark a year in sobriety and have emotional value.  I have however, given a few away to guys who hit a year of sobriety.  

Seiko dive watches also seem to be the rage lately amongst collectors.  All the old Rolex watches are bought up I guess. You used to be able to pick up watches from the 70S - 90S for cheap. Even really poor examples command obscene amounts of money now.

Shu Fang 

How about a Hamilton with Swiss movements increasing in value? Purchased new 2014.

DSC_4273a.jpg

46 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Will this happen to muscle cars? The market Drop?

No.  It won't for high quality iconic watches either.  There is a huge market for used high-end shoes and the buyers are not baby boomers, they are the youth that want the brand, the quality and the iconic shoes of previous generations but can't afford the lower quality high-priced current models. This renewal will continue for the foreseeable future.  Like anything, the lower end, less desirable models will lose value. 

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, Tizeye said:

How about a Hamilton with Swiss movements increasing in value? Purchased new 2014.

DSC_4273a.jpg

I really don't follow the Swish movement market.  I do know that Diver type watches are more desirable.  

I'm have more knowledge regarding Seiko. 

I would check the model number on Ebay to see if these are selling.  But since it is only a few years old, I wouldn't expect an increase in value.   

Shu Fang

Did I ever tell you that Shu once sent me a watch out of the goodness of his heart, but that a postal worker stole it, or it got lost in the mail or some such?   I would have cherished that watch.  I still cherish the thought of Shu Couch Fang Incident sending me a watch.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Hey @Shu Fang any idea what one of these goes for?  I was paying off some jewelryI bought my wife in the late 80’s )you know, when you had to go in to get the exact balance...) So I had a zero balance for all of 5 minutes as on the way out the store I bought one of these...

B9FE22DA-F38E-4B19-8240-FE3233F2D1C4.png

I would have it serviced.  TAG has a following but I don't follow.  I'm a Seiko dude.  I couldn't even tell you if it is fake or not.   If you buy a Seiko, I could give you a general value of the the watch.

Shu Fang

• Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Shu Fang said:

I would have it serviced.  TAG has a following but I don't follow.  I'm a Seiko dude.  I couldn't even tell you if it is fake or not.   If you buy a Seiko, I could give you a general value of the the watch.

Shu Fang

That was just an example of the watch I bought. I’m original owner.

Just curious really, I’ll hold on to it & give it to my son someday.

6 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

That was just an example of the watch I bought. I’m original owner.

Just curious really, I’ll hold on to it & give it to my son someday.

Cool. I would still have it serviced if you have had it for awhile. Depending on how old it is, the lubricants can eventually harden and hurt the movement. It will be an expense but it will improve the long term health of the watch.  This watch is worth the service. 

Shu Fang 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1