Are you landlocked and housebound?

Randomguy

Just now, late said:

gators?

Poop.  The waters around NYC are not clean.

Also, I don't much like the beach as an all day destination.  I like to play in the water, and recreating in it or around it is fine, but I can think of nothing more tedious and annoying than just lying there and baking in the sun.  If I am not being active, I want out of the sun.  Sand is not fun to sit in or get everywhere, the beach is hot and horrible for reading, there are too many people, plus it is far too onerous to get there.  Little reward, massive effort to get there makes it easy for me to stay away.

I like lakes a good bit better.  You can put canoes in lakes, and swim in most of them, and they are much more in-line with my sensibilities.  Camping around lakes is so much better than camping near the beach.

The end.

• Heart 3

15 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Also, I don't much like the beach as an all day destination.  I like to play in the water, and recreating in it or around it is fine, but I can think of nothing more tedious and annoying than just lying there and baking in the sun.  If I am not being active, I want out of the sun.  Sand is not fun to sit in or get everywhere, the beach is hot and horrible for reading, there are too many people, plus it is far too onerous to get there.  Little reward, massive effort to get there makes it easy for me to stay away.

I like lakes a good bit better.  You can put canoes in lakes, and swim in most of them, and they are much more in-line with my sensibilities.  Camping around lakes is so much better than camping near the beach.

The end.

Ahh, I see.

I'm not a beach person, either. I like mountains, I used to hike up them in the summer, and ski down in the winter. I like lakes alright, but if you can't afford a place at the lake, it doesn't seem worth bothering with.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The end.

Try going to the beach in the fall. The kids are back in school, weather is still nice and beaches are empty, especially mid week.

I live about 5 miles from the coast, we go to the beach weekly but usually for a walk, or for dinner or an after dinner dessert/walk.  

I actually haven’t gone in the water this year but poor jack got wet a month or so ago  by a rogue wave that snuck up on us...

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

Landlocked and housebound and liking it just fine!  I like the beach maybe once a year, usually in the fall when it is snot miserably hot. It is since to sit and watch and listen to the waves without hordes of people around. Lakes can suck because they can have high fecal matter counts. 

11 minutes ago, late said:

Ahh, I see.

I'm not a beach person, either. I like mountains, I used to hike up them in the summer, and ski down in the winter. I like lakes alright, but if you can't afford a place at the lake, it doesn't seem worth bothering with.

I only used lakes as a comparison to beaches.

10 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Try going to the beach in the fall. The kids are back in school, weather is still nice and beaches are empty, especially mid week.

I live about 5 miles from the coast, we go to the beach weekly but usually for a walk, or for dinner or an after dinner dessert/walk.  

I actually haven’t gone in the water this year but poor jack got wet a month or so ago  by a rogue wave that snuck up on us...

Your ocean is a complete tease.  WAAAAAYYYYY too cold to swim enjoyably in.  Yeah, it looks nice and all, but if you really can't swim in for any length of time, then it really just looks pretty and does nothing but hold fish poop and future tsunamis.  I have weird ideas about beaches, btw.

42 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I just booked a beach vacation in September in Delaware. As long as a Hurricane doesn’t hit, it should be enjoyable. If a Hurricane hits, it will be exciting. I’m a block inland, so no worries. 

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

The Pacific is a crap ocean.  Now the Atlantic, that is a nicer ocean, at least near the US.  The problem is is that it is on the east coast.

You are so full of it.  Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY knows the Atlantic Ocean is the red headed bastard step brother of the mighty Pacific Ocean. 

Everybody knows this!

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is easy to get to Coney Island, but do you really want to?  I take RO to ride the rides, but the beach is awful.  Look at that picture and tell me what looks enjoyable about that.  Btw, that isn't even crowded.

...when I was a lad, when we went to the beach at Coney Island we were fine just to sit there in our three square feet of blanket space and felt lucky if the parental unit popped for an orange Dreamsicle.  Sun screen ?  Ha, we 'ad no sunscreeen. I got so burned a couple of times that I turned red as a lobster.

But we were 'appy in those days. You try telling that to these kids today.:mellow:

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

The Pacific is a crap ocean.  Now the Atlantic, that is a nicer ocean, at least near the US.  The problem is is that it is on the east coast.

fd.png&f=1

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You are so full of it.  Everybody and I mean EVERYBODY knows the Atlantic Ocean is the red headed bastard step brother of the mighty Pacific Ocean. 

Everybody knows this!

Lake Erie is the best body of water attached to the US.  In fact, it is superior to Lake Superior, and is America's north coast.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...when I was a lad, when we went to the beach at Coney Island we were fine just to sit there in our three square feet of blanket space and felt lucky if the parental unit popped for an orange Dreamsicle.  Sun screen ?  Ha, we 'ad no sunscreeen. I got so burned a couple of times that I turned red as a lobster.

But we were 'appy in those days. You try telling that to these kids today.:mellow:

fd.png&f=1

Frankie''s hair is a bit odd, isn't it?

1 hour ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Landlocked and housebound and liking it just fine!  I like the beach maybe once a year, usually in the fall when it is snot miserably hot. It is since to sit and watch and listen to the waves without hordes of people around. Lakes can suck because they can have high fecal matter counts. 

I like going to Misquamicut State Beach over in RI.  I believe you were there last year.  We go early enough to acquire one of the picnic tables under this sort of pavilion.  It's much better to read in the shade and wander down to the water every now and then.  Everyone else wants to be out on the sand with their puny beach umbrellas.  Somebody took this pic from where womaxx and I were sitting last year.

Image result for misquamicut

• Heart 1

I ventured out earlier today to have lunch with my sisters, but then I came home and took a nap.  I can't imagine any of the nearby beaches/lakes wouldn't be too hot and crowded this weekend.

I had fun on beaches before, in areas with warm inviting water and nice breezes.  White sand is nice sand, other sand is garbage sand.

Los Roques was the best and mellowest, Ibiza was fun, Jamaica was nice.  It isn't like I am against the beach as a concept, but you need the warmth of the water, breezes, nice sand, and close-by nightlife to make it vacation worthy.  Spending a day at a local beach seems like a waste of time.

People are attracted to water, the ocean is the mother of all water, but the smaller waters have their charms also.

Waterfalls are a category on to themselves.

A babbling brook full of brook trout is a treasure to be treasured.

A canoe trip in the wilderness is to be awestruck at the beauty, and driven to madness by the biting insects 

A hot shower has a lot to be said for it, same for a cold shower

We don't last long without water 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

12 hours ago, Randomguy said:

Lake Erie is the best body of water attached to the US.  In fact, it is superior to Lake Superior, and is America's north coast.

Currently on Lake Erie, boat moared on Presque Isle bay. Went sailing yesterday in 15 knot winds, very pleasant. Ended the day with a refreshing swim before going in. Last weekend went to the beach on Presque Isle, almost no people, dogs allowed, and water as turquoise as the Caribbean. That’s why we love Erie.

Portable A.C. unit has our cabin temperature hovering about 70 degrees this morning, a nice way to spend a HOT summer weekend.

78B94816-E48F-45D1-ABB1-78A1E3E4DFC1.jpeg

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Currently on Lake Erie, boat moared on Presque Isle bay. Went sailing yesterday in 15 knot winds, very pleasant. Ended the day with a refreshing swim before going in. Last weekend went to the beach on Presque Isle, almost no people, dogs allowed, and water as turquoise as the Caribbean. That’s why we love Erie.

Portable A.C. unit has our cabin temperature hovering about 70 degrees this morning, a nice way to spend a HOT summer weekend.

78B94816-E48F-45D1-ABB1-78A1E3E4DFC1.jpeg

I spent many a lunchtime feeding the gulls French fried at the Erie public Dock.

18 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I had fun on beaches before, in areas with warm inviting water and nice breezes.  White sand is nice sand, other sand is garbage sand.

Los Roques was the best and mellowest, Ibiza was fun, Jamaica was nice.  It isn't like I am against the beach as a concept, but you need the warmth of the water, breezes, nice sand, and close-by nightlife to make it vacation worthy.  Spending a day at a local beach seems like a waste of time.