Oil is a scam

Randomguy

Ok, you know how we are constantly being told that oil is a "non-renewable" fuel source?  I am not buying it.

If oil formation occurs when little tiny creatures and organic matter die and get covered up, pressed on, and then heated up, that sounds pretty repeatable to me.  In fact, I feel reasonably sure that happens all the damn time, including right now.

So how am I wrong here?  I don't think I am.  I think new oil is in process all the time, it is just that nobody wants the young stuff.

Prove me wrong.

• Awesome 1

17 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, you know how we are constantly being told that oil is a "non-renewable" fuel source?  I am not buying it.

If oil formation occurs when little tiny creatures and organic matter die and get covered up, pressed on, and then heated up, that sounds pretty repeatable to me.  In fact, I feel reasonably sure that happens all the damn time, including right now.

So how am I wrong here?  I don't think I am.  I think new oil is in process all the time, it is just that nobody wants the young stuff.

Prove me wrong.

It's not renewable fast enough. Not for another million years at least.  That's the problem.  That's where misled people in the province where I live are deluding themselves. All the conventional drill oil is gone from Alberta. The big national firms knew this...….20+yrs. ago! So they ramped up on oil sands...which is even more expensive to extract.  Then into fracking....which now it's like beating a teenage all over and not knowing how it will affect Mother Earth..not even the underground water table (which Alberta is deficient in water in the lst place anyway...)

I've just spent last hr. today chatting with a long-time Calgarian who has been living and working in Toronto for past 30 yrs...… we both wondering what speed can Alberta can shift from narrow, delusionary thinking of oil and gas economy.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There is a shortage of dinosaurs.

I am not buying the dinosaur angle, either.  Deer and whale butts get buried all the time, too, so there is nothing inherently special about dinosaur corpses.  Sounds like normal decomposition instead of "these corpses go on to form oil",  This sounds like a simplification of a tall tale.  They try to make it sound as if vast herds of brontosaurs all travelled to the same place to die at the same time, somehow timing it just so Wilbur can cart rich dudes around all the time in the future.

"Where you goin', Charlie?"  "Going with the rest of the Brontosaurs, Sid, we was thinking we might like to die off in the same spot or somethin'".

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am not buying the dinosaur angle, either.  Deer and whale butts get buried all the time, too, so there is nothing inherently special about dinosaur corpses.  Sounds like normal decomposition instead of "these corpses go on to form oil",  This sounds like a simplification of a tall tale.

Why ask a question when several layers of generational skeletons will lie on top of us....to realize "renewable" concept?  ?

17 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

There is a shortage of dinosaurs.

If you go to Dinosaur Provincial Park in Alberta:  https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/south/dinosaur-pp/   you get to see enough fossils in rocks...(and maybe people :) trapped in certain thinking).  Alberta seriously does have a ton of dinosaur bones and fossil rock that have yet to be excavated. Parts of the province is quite rich in this.

And a seriously world-class museum in paleontolgy http://www.tyrrellmuseum.com/index.htm  Dinosaurs more fun to learn than oil.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Prove me wrong.

It takes millions of years to make new oil.  It takes much less time to use it up.  It takes even less time to allow it to rot your brain.

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am quite right, I looked it up.

You didn't even get the first part right, it wasn't dinosaurs, for the most part.

We are  transitioning towards a post-petroleum era. In a few years, sales of new gas powered cars will slow to a crawl. Depends on how fast electric cars develop, but prob less than a decade.

4 minutes ago, late said:

You didn't even get the first part right, it wasn't dinosaurs, for the most part.

We are  transitioning towards a post-petroleum era. In a few years, sales of new gas powered cars will slow to a crawl. Depends on how fast electric cars develop, but prob less than a decade.

WRONG!  I am quite right, I looked it up and verified, making sure I was quite right before adding to my original post.

Electric vehicles, now there is a scam for you.

11 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

WRONG!  I am quite right, I looked it up and verified, making sure I was quite right before adding to my original post.

Electric vehicles, now there is a scam for you.

I typed in 'how did oil get created' and google told me this:

" The beginning of crude oil formation happened millions of years ago. Oil is a fossil fuel that has been formed from a large amount tiny plants and animals such as algae and zooplankton."

Oh well, at least you didn't get sucked in by the abiotic kooks.

1 minute ago, late said:

" The beginning of crude oil formation happened millions of years ago. Oil is a fossil fuel that has been formed from a large amount tiny plants and animals such as algae and zooplankton."

That is pretty much what I said, pretty much word for word, you know.  Why were you not trying to read my mind for double-verification?

Just now, Randomguy said:

That is pretty much what I said, pretty much word for word, you know.  Why were you not trying to read my mind for double-verification?

"Deer and whale butts get buried all the time, too, so there is nothing inherently special about dinosaur corpses.  Sounds like normal decomposition instead of "these corpses go on to form oil",  This sounds like a simplification of a tall tale."

We're not going to run out of oil because new tech will replace the polluters.

The Age of Coal didn't end because we ran out of coal, the Age of Oil isn't about to end because we ran out of oil.