Toppled over today

Further

Because I tend to hurt myself in strange ways, I was very happy when I completed my bike trip without so much as a scratch on me.  

I had a couple of hours to kill in D.C. so I decided to ride around looking at the monuments and stuff.  The last place I was heading was the Capitol.  The bike lane there is in the middle of the road.  As I am riding, I see a couple stopped in the crosswalk.  I know he was not paying attention and was positive that we was going to step out in front of me to take a picture of the Capitol.  I slow down. Slow down even more. I'll be damned if as soon as I am next to him, he doesn't step right into me and knock me over. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

The times I've felt really stupid was when the path sloped downhill from right to left and, when I stopped the bike, I put my left foot down, not thinking the ground under my foot was a foot lower than the bottom of my tires were.  Of course, there was usually a sticker bush of some kind I tumbled into.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

The last time I tipped over (about a month ago), naturally I fell into traffic.  I could easily have been run over if the person had been texting.  I was lucky that this millennial appeared to be taking a break from texting and simply drove around me (didn't bother to ask if I was OK).

I've been bumped and bruised from tipping over, but it's usually the ego that takes the biggest hit.

• Heart 1

I should have had a big one when I bought my new shoes. Put on the cleats and thought I had them tight. That’s what I get for thinking! I couldn’t get unclipped with either foot! I circled once and grabbed the bed of my pickup and took my shoes off while they were still attached to the pedals. Made sure to tighten the cleats even more before my next attempt!