Best brake shoes ?

Further

Mine are getting old and don't seem to work very well any more.

When the bike was new I had to be careful not to lock up the front wheel. Couldn't lock that sucker up now if I was trying to

So just buy the factory Specialized pads, or is there a better aftermarket offering ?

Kool Stop salmon is a game changer as they are a totally different compound than standard type pads of any brand. Initiation is soft but stopping power improves as you continue to apply the brakes. I love these pads and have used them almost exclusively since I discovered them. I purchased a slightly used aluminum rim and put a set of standard pads on to grind the surface smooth. Then I switched over to salmon pads. I am a genius.

P.S. Someone tell Ralph salmon swim upstream, please.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

Just now, Kzoo said:

I was looking at those but knew nothing about them so I went with salmon to replace the originals on my bike and D#2’s bike.

My opinion is that the dual compound brakes are a gimmick to get new customers. I've tried them because they came with a set of pad holders I bought. Not impressed.

Old trick that still works for me - if there is still plenty of pad left, clean the rim well, sand the pad surface with a fine grit cloth and switch them around on the rim.  That will probably also require a little brake adjustment.  But it works. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

20 hours ago, Further said:

Mine are getting old and don't seem to work very well any more.

When the bike was new I had to be careful not to lock up the front wheel. Couldn't lock that sucker up now if I was trying to

Kool stops are the "simple" answer, but I'd first work through the problem a bit more.

How many miles and how old are the brake pads? Looking at the pads, are they worn beyond their wear indicators?

Have you ever sanded the pads? Inspected for debris? Adjusted them to make them fully grip (and w/ some toe in)?  Have you deglazed the braking surface of the wheel? Is the pull length properly adjusted (want about a fingers width between the bar and the lever when FULL squeezed)?

Probably a few more things to look at, but those are things I would chase first.  I have only worn out one set of brake pads - on a 20+ MTB bike, but I also don't live in a hilly or mountainous area so I rarely use my brakes. 

I would have thought @Page Turner would help with this one, too.

12 minutes ago, groupw said:

Are koolstop compatible with carbon rims?  My original pads are still decent, but I can see I will need some next season. 

...if they're straight up plastic rims, with no inset brake track, probably not.  You need to be pretty careful what you use with those rims.

1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...what do I know about brakes ? I still use rim breaks. :( 

The thread went the rim brake route. Maybe we do need to know if Further is using rim brakes or not.  If his DISC brakes aren't locking up his wheel, the world is in TROUBLE. Or, he needs a shop.

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

The thread went the rim brake route. Maybe we do need to know if Further is using rim brakes or not.  If his DISC brakes aren't locking up his wheel, the world is in TROUBLE. Or, he needs a shop.

Rim grabbers, alloy rims, 13 year old bike, original brake pads. I think I'll put some Kool Stops on it, wore out or not rubber or whatever they make brake pads out of has to deteriorate with age.

2 minutes ago, Further said:

Rim grabbers, alloy rims, 13 year old bike, original brake pads. I think I'll put some Kool Stops on it, wore out or not rubber or whatever they make brake pads out of has to deteriorate with age.

Or...you just want to put on some Kool Stops!

Whatever excuse you need to justify it to the Boss is fine with us.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Further said:

...after 13 years, it wouldn't hurt to lightly sand the rim braking surfaces with some 220 grit abrasive paper either.  Then wipe off anything that remains from the sanding in ters of particulates with some mineral spirits or some other solvent.  You want the rim surfaces really clean when you start a new set of brake pads.

Shimano blocks I've found are particularly hard on rims and will wear them down eventually. Changing to Koolstop is another world... being effective and kind to the rims as well. 

Removing the old rubber from the braking surface of rims is easier using the green pot scrubbers with whatever.....I used to use toothpaste at one time.