So I had a rare hot dog and now I am feeling guilty...

Ralphie

that I put mustard and onions on it, which is odd since I always considered that a treat.  But lately I have really come to enjoy dogs and burgers au naturale - they just taste so much better to me that way!  If different flavours don;t really complement each other that well, I would rather take them one at a time. Now ketchup and fries or tomatoes and cottage cheese - those will always go together.

grilled, with mustard, diced onions, sweet relish, grated cheddar cheese and I know you are going to find this hard to believe, but topped with Wolf brand chili on top.   I have never wasted tried real home made chili on a hot dog.

I love watching "A Hot Dog Show" on PBS and seeing all the different ways that hot dogs are prepared all across America.  There was someplace up in the Northeastern states that fried them and had different names for the level of friedness.  One was called The Ripper as they fried it until the casing ripped open.  It was also on this show that they pointed out that kids seemed to universally want ketchup on a hot dog, but as they grew older, they switched over to mustard.  Sort of a hot dog right of passage.

Dad used to slice then in half length wise and grill them and serve them two at a time on hamburger buns.  I know that more than one I topped a hamburger patty with two sliced open hot dogs.

• Heart 2

One year, back when I was in high school...as the year was drawing to an end I asked my mom for something different for lunch..I am pretty sure I ate hot dogs 5 days a week for lunch most of that year...on buns or white bread...LOL a change up was probably a bologna sammich...back in the day when microwaves were new, huge and expensive...frozen meal were pretty much oven based and not something one could cook in a 30 minute lunch.