I think I’ll go fishing and get a nice sunset picture

Longjohn

55 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Did you get a huge storm last night? We had winds near 60 mph in Erie. And a lot of lightning.

Yes we did, we lost power for ten hours. The neighbor’s house had four trees fall on it. Trees across the road in every direction. They still don’t have the one road open.

• Heart 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Yes. The entire sky was filled with lighting, and we’re sleeping with a 43 foot metal pole sticking straight up into space. Fortunately, there are taller masts surrounding ours.

I think I would feel safer in my kayak. I did have a metal shaft on my kayak paddle as I was paddling down the lake in the thunderstorm. The lightning seemed to be cloud to cloud but you never know.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I think I would feel safer in my kayak. I did have a metal shaft on my kayak paddle as I was paddling down the lake in the thunderstorm. The lightning seemed to be cloud to cloud but you never know.

I think the technology is designed to take electricity from the rigging, through the hull and out into the water, sparing the interior cabin (people and electronics). I have to assume the boat has been hit by lightning at some point in it’s life since being built in 1986. We’re the third owner and know of no deaths by electrocution prior to our purchase!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think the technology is designed to take electricity from the rigging, through the hull and out into the water, sparing the interior cabin (people and electronics). I have to assume the boat has been hit by lightning at some point in it’s life since being built in 1986. We’re the third owner and know of no deaths by electrocution prior to our purchase!

Being in the cabin does sound better than being the highest thing in the kayak. You don’t get wet and you don’t get fried.

It rained all morning and took a few hours off in the afternoon, it’s raining again. The few hours that it wasn’t raining I was on a run to hermitage to turn in my wife’s internet modem and buy a few things. She has paid $250 for internet that she hasn’t used since she got sick in February. She finally cancelled the service. I told her that the bright side was she had great internet at a great price. I pay $130 a month for crappy internet.

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

...........................................She finally cancelled the service. I told her that the bright side was she had great internet at a great price. I pay $130 a month for crappy internet.

WOW!      That's £104......outrageous.......my fibre broadband plus free calls costs £29 a month and my download speed is around 68Mbs. 

3 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

WOW!      That's £104......outrageous.......my fibre broadband plus free calls costs £29 a month and my download speed is around 68Mbs. 

We live in the boondocks. There is no broadband service available other than satellite so I have a large dish mounted on a steel pole. I have the fastest internet they offer and it isn’t fast enough for my wife’s work. She had cable internet hooked up at her mom’s empty house twenty miles away and worked from there. I’m thinking she probably won’t go back to work.

• 1 year later...