Bullitt or The Blues Brothers?

Razors Edge

...or dark horses Ronin or either of The Italian Job movies? Or a Bourne movie?

Which has the best car chase scene (singular)?

I'm thinking Fast & Furious movies are too fake , so it needs to be more of a "Wow! That scene was insane. Let me watch it again!" sort of thing with no or very limited CGI.

Ronin is fun, and some definite Bullitt influences, but it's not quite a true car chase as much as a chase and gun battle:

25 minutes ago, dennis said:

No Smokey and the Bandit? It's pretty much the whole movie.

What's Up, Doc has a phenomenal chase sequence. (Another one of my all time faves)

And then there are other contenders, like the French Connection.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

The car chase scene in the second Matrix movie.  

That one was awesome.  Also liked the mini's in the Italian job.  I liked the OG Fast and Furious movie but the rest just got stupider and stupider as they went on.  

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Bullet is a classic that leads the genre.

It's a good chase scene, and I love the way they transformed a Mustang into an actual hot car (spent a lot of money doing it, too).

But I bought the movie a couple years ago, and stopped watching it after about 10 minutes. At least for my taste, it hasn't aged well.

5 minutes ago, late said:

It's a good chase scene, and I love the way they transformed a Mustang into an actual hot car (spent a lot of money doing it, too).

But I bought the movie a couple years ago, and stopped watching it after about 10 minutes. At least for my taste, it hasn't aged well. 

This thread was prompted by an episode of Fast n Loud that I caught last night where they recreated the scene (as much as reasonable):

On the way to California last month, they offered Bullit as one of the free movies, so I figured, it's topical.  First time I ever watched the whole movie.  It was bad.

The chase seen, however, was iconic.  Even if the Charger lost at least 6 hubcaps, they kept passing the same green Beetle over and over, and they ended up in a place far too many miles from where they started.  Among other oddities.

22 minutes ago, 12string said:

On the way to California last month, they offered Bullit as one of the free movies, so I figured, it's topical.  First time I ever watched the whole movie.  It was bad.

The chase seen, however, was iconic.  Even if the Charger lost at least 6 hubcaps, they kept passing the same green Beetle over and over, and they ended up in a place far too many miles from where they started.  Among other oddities.

I believe they lost more than one charger as well as some parked cars on the street that were not the property of the movie company.  It was the era of the action hero Steve McQueen who did this, The Great Escape with his motorcycle chase scene and the racing Movie LeMans.  All were movie breakthroughs of a sort.